Cabrio windows don't always go up

FPSUsername

B.Eng. EE
Reaction score
Hello,

I've noticed this odd behaviour with the car's windows. All windows go up and down perfectly fine with their dedicated button.
When I use the all-windows button or the soft-top roof button, some of the windows never fully close. It's completely random, but it often happens on the rear two windows. Sometimes the window goes down and up again during the process, but it never closes, until I close it with the dedicated button for the window (or if I open/close the windows a couple of times with the all-windows button).

VCDS gives me no error codes regarding this issue.
Does anybody know what the issue might be and how to solve it?
Is there a window calibration option in VCDS that I should run?

FYI: the car has suffered from a bad ignition switch in the past (the copper traces were corroded and white coloured).
This might have affected the behaviour of any electrical system (such as the screens in the car that started flickering and audio stutters). A new ignition switch has been placed about three months ago and none of those problems returned.

Take the drivers door card off completely ,disconnect both plugs that go to the window motor also unplug plug that serves the main window switches..
The pins and connections are very small and the green patina that forms naturally on copper can cause issues with intermittent signals .i know it happened to me and it doesn't help when the door is open in rain as it's surprising how easy you can get water in there. Anyway the easy and cheap thing you can try is cleaning the connections ,i used isopropyl with a cotton bud and just dabbed all the connections that way you can at least eliminate that, also make sure all connections are snug

Ah, thank you for the suggestion. It sounds logical, but I do wonder why it has no issues with the dedicated button for each window. I will do that once I have some time to work on it (perhaps when I'll install the heat elements in the seats).

On a side note, I already opened the passenger door once to clean the motors of the lock. Took me about two hours, but I saved 250 euro this way.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any replacement motors, in case they fail completely (searching the codes of the motors gave no results). It was full of debris from the brushes, and that for a 90k km vehicle.

The motors on the cabriolet are longer than non cab A3s Modules same size just need to save the current serial number for coding .
I have used standard 8P motors on mine and got them working just a bit fiddly getting them in and out but once you have done a few you get the knack at putting them on ..

Offtopic, but:
These are the motors from the door lock module. Don't need to code these, as they're just components, unless I misunderstood you for the window motors (which in my case should function just fine).
Photo 2021 04 18 20 29 11

I see,i thought you meant the window motor module but yes they don't need coding

Have you tried reseting the window positioning?

So with the dedicated window switch lower the window all the way down and hold for a few seconds and then all the way back up and hold for a few seconds again. Do this will all the windows and see if it makes any difference.