Cabriolet window switches, how to change them?

p1tse

Reaction score
All windows work
But the passenger rear side doesn't always go up if using the switch alone but will go up with the big main controller

So I assume either a dirty connection or dodgy connection as it sometimes work

How do you get them out thinking I might try and clean the area or just in case I need to change them?

Theres a tiny hole in the door handle under the bank of switches. Stick something in that like a terminal screwdriver and you should be able to release the switches from the car. I stripped mine and drowned them with electrical contact cleaner to get them working again.

Thanks

Drowned in electrical contact cleaner!?
What is this, link please?

Literally just dunk it in?

Yes, just pushes out from underneath. I went further and stripped the covers off and then sprayed loads of cleaner into the switches. you can't harm them with the contact cleaner so get plenty in there and you should be good as new again.

Reactions: p1tse
If you can take it apart enough to get to the brass contacts clean them with some sort of cleaner to remove any dirt (I used some old stinky aftershave) then clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Theres a tiny hole in the door handle under the bank of switches. Stick something in that like a terminal screwdriver and you should be able to release the switches from the car. I stripped mine and drowned them with electrical contact cleaner to get them working again.

I tried to feel for the whole but couldn't

Is it directly under the bank of switches?

It's the underneath of the door handle below the switches. its near the front edge of the switches and is quite small but once you find it you'll wonder how you've not seen it before.

This one which is more in front rather than directly underneath?

If so I need something thin!

Managed to get the bank of switch out

Took some going to get the surround away from switches

Sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner, dried and tested, and all work a dream now

Only down side the rubber texture of the switches have gone very stick.
Any recommendations on how to clean sticky surface rubber without rubbing off the window switch oatterns