Caliper Paints and Brake Discs

A3LX

Reaction score
Just put some 17" Alloys on my 98 A3. Look a lot better, but now they have exposed the dull calipers and discs with rust spots on them.

Have decided to paint the calipers and sand the discs. My car is Ming blue wanted a colour to match, think red is a bit flashy for an A3. Can anyone advise on paints to use, I've heard hammerite is good.

Any advice on the best way to do this, how long it will take, how diffiuclt it is, good tools to use etc.

Thanks!

yer that hammerite stuff is cheap and just as good if not better than the proper kits out there

I have used paint from a tin in the past and it does the job but you are better using spray. Just get some high heat spray from Halfords. Just takes a little prep work with masking off areas but well worth it.

What colours do people use. I've seen red but not to sure on it. I've heard people use black but don't think that will stand out enough.

Any ideas???

for standing out i would use red / blue

for suttle black

depends what look you are after

garratt83 said:
What colours do people use. I've seen red but not to sure on it. I've heard people use black but don't think that will stand out enough.

Any ideas???

I think I'm one of the few who has silver. I think it looks good but my car is black.

I love when people (usually chavs) paint their drums. It's like shouting to everyone 'Hey my car's slow!' :lmfao:

Toxik-Signal said:
I love when people (usually chavs) paint their drums. It's like shouting to everyone 'Hey my car's slow!' :lmfao:

Seriously don't get me started!! I hate this with passion!!! The best I have seen is when people put fake discs over the back drums. Um.... nice!!!

well the worst i have seen was a vx corsa with illuminous yellow drums,how **** and another hate of mine is plastic spinners the hub cap ones,and im not a lover of the real spinners either

danotto said:
well the worst i have seen was a vx corsa with illuminous yellow drums,how **** and another hate of mine is plastic spinners the hub cap ones,and im not a lover of the real spinners either

spin2.jpg

My personal favourite.

RearPaintedDrums.JPG

the worst thing about that is someone has actually posted pictures on the internet of those drums,as to say look how good they are,,,,erm afraid not:asskicking:

What is the process to remove the calipers prior to repainting/respraying them ?

fromt and back.

as I have the same problem now I have changed my alloys to 18s I was thinking about painting the calipers.

Effect said:
What is the process to remove the calipers prior to repainting/respraying them ?

fromt and back.

as I have the same problem now I have changed my alloys to 18s I was thinking about painting the calipers.

It's really easy to do just unbolt everything, when I did the ones on my Land Rover I stuck them in degreaser for a day and got them like new. The only thing is I believe you need a machine to put the brake fluid back in the lines.

I did mine with black hammerite... cost less that £5 for the tin... 50p for the paint brush... looks mint... happy days!

I'd like to paint my calipers black when I get the chance - don't like the thought of messing around with brake fluid though :(

why would you have to mess around with brake fluid? you can quite easily paint them with out disconnecting them. Thats the beauty of using hammerite as you use a brush and not spray. Just make sure you go over them well with a wire brush first tho.

I used Hammerite too, sort of an RS blue colour?!

As said above, it's pretty cheap and robust, it's been on over a year now and shows no signs of flaking off. I just wire brushed and sanded the calipers in situ, and then brushed it on.

As above, you can unbolt the Calipers & Carriers and paint them whilst the brake lines are still attached (just mask the lines if your using a spray paint).

Worth mentioning you might want a caliper winding tool as well in case the pads close together and you can't get the caliper back over the disk afterwards.

and instead of using a hand wire brush you can always use a wire brush drill bit (they sell them in halfrauds for about £3), put it in a electric drill and it'll save you a lot of scrubbing.

Mike