Calling all S4 TDI owners

syed123

Reaction score
To all the s4 tdi owners:

I test drove a 70 plate s4 black edition saloon.

Thoughts - the engine feels a lot more rough compared to my tuned 272? I have heard complaints of the 50tdi being rough compared to the 272 predecessor and if the s4 is more related to the 50tdi I definitely noticed the extra roughness.

Ride/ handling: the car was on sports suspension and felt too firm for my liking, and the car felt notably heavier than my a4, which I didn't mind initially but did mind when the steering felt excessively heavy.

Power/torque: even though my 272 is tuned, the s4 tdi definitely felt the stronger engine but only at higher revs. One thing that I didn't understand was how there was literally no go below 2500rpm. Yes I get the torque band is narrow between 2500-3000rpm but then what's that electric turbo charger for that's supposed to work at low revs?! I had a Volvo d4 s90 as a courtesy car not long ago and that absolutely flew from low revs! I understand that had an electric boost from low down. Weird that Volvo mastered this from a basic 4 pot diesel but Audi can't in a v6 diesel..

Was so disappointed as my tuned 272 has bags of low down torque. That low down torque is what makes a powerful 6 cylinder diesel appealing, however this had absolutely no go at low revs but at higher revs it was strong.

Even a 2litre diesel had more low down torque.

Funnily enough the way it pulled at higher revs reminded of my friends e92 m3, albeit a muted version of that with the s4s fake v8 sound which I have to admit was rather pleasant.

Luckily there's a new update on the s4 where the torque comes in lower and the 0 60 has been reduced.

I'm hoping that new setup rectifies the issues the current s4 has, and also the roughness I felt with the engine itself.

My question to the s4 tdi owners is: does this issue with low down torque get better as the engine loosens up? The gearbox was a lot worse than I expected ( I know the reviews say it has lag but this was woeful) I'm surprised they let the setup stay this way.

Is the engine quite gruff? Yes might sound like a silly question as it's a diesel but my tuned 272 a4 felt a lot more refined at idle and smoother overall.

Asking these questions as I was hoping for more from the s4. I always tune my cars to get the most of them and I suppose the s4 would drive the way I wanted with the right tuning but it's a shame Audi can't get the calibration right from stock..

Hope to hear some responses.

To all the s4 tdi owners:

I test drove a 70 plate s4 black edition saloon.

Thoughts - the engine feels a lot more rough compared to my tuned 272? I have heard complaints of the 50tdi being rough compared to the 272 predecessor and if the s4 is more related to the 50tdi I definitely noticed the extra roughness.

Ride/ handling: the car was on sports suspension and felt too firm for my liking, and the car felt notably heavier than my a4, which I didn't mind initially but did mind when the steering felt excessively heavy.

Power/torque: even though my 272 is tuned, the s4 tdi definitely felt the stronger engine but only at higher revs. One thing that I didn't understand was how there was literally no go below 2500rpm. Yes I get the torque band is narrow between 2500-3000rpm but then what's that electric turbo charger for that's supposed to work at low revs?! I had a Volvo d4 s90 as a courtesy car not long ago and that absolutely flew from low revs! I understand that had an electric boost from low down. Weird that Volvo mastered this from a basic 4 pot diesel but Audi can't in a v6 diesel..

Was so disappointed as my tuned 272 has bags of low down torque. That low down torque is what makes a powerful 6 cylinder diesel appealing, however this had absolutely no go at low revs but at higher revs it was strong.

Even a 2litre diesel had more low down torque.

Funnily enough the way it pulled at higher revs reminded of my friends e92 m3, albeit a muted version of that with the s4s fake v8 sound which I have to admit was rather pleasant.

Luckily there's a new update on the s4 where the torque comes in lower and the 0 60 has been reduced.

I'm hoping that new setup rectifies the issues the current s4 has, and also the roughness I felt with the engine itself.

My question to the s4 tdi owners is: does this issue with low down torque get better as the engine loosens up? The gearbox was a lot worse than I expected ( I know the reviews say it has lag but this was woeful) I'm surprised they let the setup stay this way.

Is the engine quite gruff? Yes might sound like a silly question as it's a diesel but my tuned 272 a4 felt a lot more refined at idle and smoother overall.

Asking these questions as I was hoping for more from the s4. I always tune my cars to get the most of them and I suppose the s4 would drive the way I wanted with the right tuning but it's a shame Audi can't get the calibration right from stock..

Hope to hear some responses.
I have a S5 Tdi so note quite the comparison you are looking for however used to have the 218 ps version on the 3.0tdi so a few observations.

Extra roughness - can’t say I’ve noticed anything yet but car is still being run in so have not pushed it too hard yet. Be good to get your thoughts on exactly what you mean / noticed with this this.

The ride is no firmer than my previous A5 with sports suspension and taking into account the S5 has 20” rims with 30 profile tyres I’d say it’s actually better however the car has adaptive suspension so that may account for the difference. Steering can feel heavy at lower speeds but again it has dynamic steering so you can use the mmi to change the its characteristics if you want to.

the S4 TDI is quite a bit heavier -you have a look at the Audi tech specs it looks to be over 200kgs heavier than the 3.0ltr 272 A4. thought this looked to be a lot so had a look at the weight data for my S5 and this is over 100 kgs heavier than my 3.0ltr A5. A lot of these increases will be down to the kit needed to support the mild hybrid 48v system.

not heard about the engine update - can you provide a bit more detail on this please?

I have a S5 Tdi so note quite the comparison you are looking for however used to have the 218 ps version on the 3.0tdi so a few observations.

Extra roughness - can’t say I’ve noticed anything yet but car is still being run in so have not pushed it too hard yet. Be good to get your thoughts on exactly what you mean / noticed with this this.

The ride is no firmer than my previous A5 with sports suspension and taking into account the S5 has 20” rims with 30 profile tyres I’d say it’s actually better however the car has adaptive suspension so that may account for the difference. Steering can feel heavy at lower speeds but again it has dynamic steering so you can use the mmi to change the its characteristics if you want to.

the S4 TDI is quite a bit heavier -you have a look at the Audi tech specs it looks to be over 200kgs heavier than the 3.0ltr 272 A4. thought this looked to be a lot so had a look at the weight data for my S5 and this is over 100 kgs heavier than my 3.0ltr A5. A lot of these increases will be down to the kit needed to support the mild hybrid 48v system.

not heard about the engine update - can you provide a bit more detail on this please?

Which spec do you have on the s5? Seeing that you have the adaptive suspension and dynamic steering? Was always curious to know what dynamic steering is like..

I like the facelift s5 but after having an a5 s line courtesy car about a year ago I felt the ride was a bit too firm for my liking, was sporty though.

In terms of roughness, although inside the engine is very refined as are all Audi's, during start up and outside idle felt louder and rougher than mine. Almost sounded like a van lol

How does your s5 fare low down in the rev range? I found the lack of oomph quite off putting on the s4.

Ok so I think in january they introduced the sq5 sportback and in that they put an updated version of the v6 tdi.

Power went down from 349ps to 341. Torque is the same however is spread between 1750rpm to 3000rpm I believe. The s4 and s5 went down to 336bhp with the same torque but spread between 1750rpm to 3000rpm.

The 0 62mph on the s4 went down from 4.8 to 4.6, not sure about the s5.

The s7 stayed the same at 5.1 seconds.

I wanted to upgrade but the s4 I test drove didn't cut it for me. It's certainly not worth double the monthly payments of my current car even if my car is a 16 plate.

The new updated engine may be a different prospect however..

Also I understand the weight difference is due to the hybrid. Felt like a barge in comparison to mine lol

not many of us about Frizzley. I have a launch edition S5 sportback - every conceivable option ticked (few more than Vorsprung). Problem is its only done 1600 miles in 5 months.. I need to get on the road ! How do you like yous ?

not many of us about Frizzley. I have a launch edition S5 sportback - every conceivable option ticked (few more than Vorsprung). Problem is its only done 1600 miles in 5 months.. I need to get on the road ! How do you like yous ?
Absolutely love it - still running it in so it’s not had the the full beans yet :smug:.

very impressed with it so far though - very different to my TTRS but in lots of good ways - obviously not quite as fast but fast enough, in fact it’s surprisingly quick, cabin is much more comfortable and quieter too. Overall it’s a very nice place to be in.

I haven't got my S4 yet but have spent a lot of time looking at the new engine, delayed delivery of my car for the new emissions standards. Not found anyone who has reviewed it in the S4 but know my order has dropped to 341ps and confirmed with Audi UK that mid Jan build weeks onwards had the revised engine.

I wrote a post on the new engine, different turbo water intercooler in the v change to exhaust treatment new pistons and revised electric turbo programme. Best review I've seen is automan.nl on YouTube with sq5 sportback he seemed to rate it had removed turbo lag compared to an s6 he had driven, so excited to see how it drives when mine arrives end of this month.

Can't compare to another 6 pot diesel but I didn't think the S4 seemed rough, I've got a 4 pot tfsi 150 and that has terrible turbo lag so I also didn't see the lag on the S4 being a problem depends what your used too.

I have a S4 saloon and checked it had the gearbox fix from Audi only available under warranty if you complain about the lag still some lag but huge improvement had it on track with race logic and got a 0 to 60 in 4.27 and topped 159 in molested guise
I think a lot of people compare the petrol to diesel to death.The rs cars are if you want to be a loon if you want a blend of fast road car,comfort,and reasonable economy with stunning ability to overtake at will, the S4 is a perfect blend.
On a long run 45 mpg easy and a back massage to boot.The thing people seem to forget is a car is as fast as the driver wants it to be ,my wife has a 4 year old 1.4 golf auto and not much takes her of the line she is a loon yes an rs against an s is a no contest but only if the rs driver is up for it.
The S4 is a hugely capable all rounder not a sports car,drag racer or designed for the track it is a road car for the sensible driver and if you view it that way you will see what a good car it is.

Reactions: spartacus68, syed123, Nham68 and 1 other person
I think the s4 I test drove wasn't a great example.

It was fast yes, but only when really giving the throttle a kick. Where as on my tuned 272 tdi u can feather the throttle and make rapid progress.

From the opinions of current owners, perhaps your cars are properly run in? What's the mileage on yours?

The black edition I test drove was on 5k miles.

Speaking of the new revised engine layout, I wanted to wait for it based on my bad experience with the s4.

Strangely enough I test drove a s7 vorsprung with 10k miles on the clock and that felt notably faster than the s4 even despite weighing more! So tbh I was content with the engine and don't think the new variant will be much different (I hope). So no need to wait for it if I order a new car.

Also it drove very similar to my tuned 272.. Just feather the throttle and make rapid progress. Perhaps this had the gearbox software corrected from Audi like others have reported?

Either way it felt more powerful than the figures suggested.

Hoping to upgrade to it if the figures come out well!

Also, have any of the s tdi owners considered remapping?

My S4 has just turned 3000 miles,the one I test drove was an avant black edition and it was ok but my saloon is chalk and cheese so much quicker to respond to small throttle inputs and more settled on the road.
I am looking at a tune but due to the high temps of that engine the cooling is the first point of call.I have seen them up at 400 plus horsepower and nearly 800 nm but that’s without the cooling done which I feel is a risk.I am looking into it but I am not yet convinced it needs it and whether that will effect its daily driving abilities.

My S4 has just turned 3000 miles,the one I test drove was an avant black edition and it was ok but my saloon is chalk and cheese so much quicker to respond to small throttle inputs and more settled on the road.
I am looking at a tune but due to the high temps of that engine the cooling is the first point of call.I have seen them up at 400 plus horsepower and nearly 800 nm but that’s without the cooling done which I feel is a risk.I am looking into it but I am not yet convinced it needs it and whether that will effect its daily driving abilities.

In regards to cooling do you mean installing a new intercooler?

Does your s4 have adaptive suspension?

I think the one I drove probably didn't have the gearbox update, hence the embarrassingly bad lag and driveability

I am leaning that way Syed I did that with my golf r to push 450 bhp so the cooling certainally needs done first so radiators and flow of coolant is a good start.
The car I test drove had the adaptive suspension which was ok but surprisingly for a uk car the standard I found very good the damping is spot on for me so mine is standard.It suits the car falling in the middle ground of long range comfort and tight enough when pushing on.The only thing I would say is if you wanted to really push the bhp with a performance view then the adaptable would give you better handling.The comfort setting is a touch soft and the sport is firm the standard for me is in the sweet spot.The positive thing on the tune is the brakes are very strong and can cope with the extra pace maybe fast road pads will do it.
I looked hard at the s6 but I couldn’t live with the fake pipes S4 two fake s6 all fake.....aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Assume you two have already found this video? .
If you end up with a post Jan 21 car you will have less cooling options as they've completely changed the cooling from FM air to air to air to water in center of the V so it might have lower EGTs but the complexity means it will be hard to upgrade. Turbo is also water cooled as is the manifold to control temps in scr's significantly more complex.

Interesting if you watch that video they talk about making more of the EPC and thats what they have done with revised engine to reduce lag.

It’s something to look into at some point only had the S4 for a couple of months so haven’t done too much research yet.My golf r had just about everything done bit by bit had all the bits to go well into the 500 bhp but I kept it down to the 450 mark I’d like to get it under 4 for the 0-60 but again I want it to do 600 miles in a day so comfort and economy still a factor,time will tell if I get bored or not and start to tinker.I tend to do that I get bored,I am 55 past my test on my birthday as soon as I was legal and this is my 119 car I have owned some were tuned well most to be honest !

Just found this thread and have had my S4 Avant Black Edition for 2 weeks (341 PS, MY21). I'm still trying to work out the car's behaviour, but it seems dependent on whether the 48V battery is charged beyond a certain point. Yesterday I was driving in town and it wouldn't trigger the start-stop or coasting and it was laggy on the way home. Today, after a gentle 50 mile drive, it was so much smoother. Would love to hear from somebody who knows how it really works

Not had the chance to really try it out yet on my S5 but from the Audi Media site it works as follows:

Audi offers two variants of MHEV drive systems. For the four-cylinder engines, they are based on the familiar 12-volt electrical system. However, the six- and eight-cylinder engines are equipped with a new 48-volt system that serves as the main vehicle electric system. A compact lithium-ion battery stores the energy. A water-cooled belt alternator starter (BAS) is mounted to the combustion engine’s front end and is connected via a heavy-duty V-ribbed belt to the crankshaft. During braking, the BAS can recover up to 8 kW of power and feed the energy into the battery. A DC/DC converter connects the 48-volt system and 12-volt electrical system.

“The 48-volt MHEV technology offers exceptional convenience and efficiency. When drivers take their foot off the accelerator pedal at a driving speed from 55 to 160 km/h (34.2 to 99.4 mph), the car can coast for up to 40 seconds with the engine shut off completely. When coasting at low speeds, the start-stop phase already begins at 22 km/h (13.7 mph). The drive management system utilizes information from the navigation map and on-board sensors to evaluate whether coasting is more fuel-efficient or recuperation. It selects recuperation, for instance, if the efficiency assistant detects a vehicle driving ahead. In the braking phases, the BAS assists in braking and can feed the recovered electrical energy into the 48-volt storage unit or use it directly for electrical consumers.

When the driver presses the accelerator pedal again after a coasting phase or a stop, the BAS restarts the combustion engine. The conventional pinion starter is only used for the initial starting operation when the engine oil is still cold and a higher starting torque is required. The BAS start is controlled based on load demands by the driver. For example, if the air conditioner is activated and requires an engine start while the vehicle is stopped, the engine is restarted very comfortable. The same is true if the driver releases the brake pedal in a start-stop phase to rejoin other vehicles in traffic. If the driver presses the accelerator pedal further, signaling a wish for significant acceleration, the engine start is executed as quickly as possible. In addition, there is what is known as the predictive convenience start. Here, the engine is started as soon as the car ahead starts moving, even if the driver is still pressing the brake pedal.”

According to the manual the Car needs to be in either Drive or Economy modes and intelligent coasting enabled in the mmi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Thornton
Not had the chance to really try it out yet on my S5 but from the Audi Media site it works as follows:

Audi offers two variants of MHEV drive systems. For the four-cylinder engines, they are based on the familiar 12-volt electrical system. However, the six- and eight-cylinder engines are equipped with a new 48-volt system that serves as the main vehicle electric system. A compact lithium-ion battery stores the energy. A water-cooled belt alternator starter (BAS) is mounted to the combustion engine’s front end and is connected via a heavy-duty V-ribbed belt to the crankshaft. During braking, the BAS can recover up to 8 kW of power and feed the energy into the battery. A DC/DC converter connects the 48-volt system and 12-volt electrical system.

“The 48-volt MHEV technology offers exceptional convenience and efficiency. When drivers take their foot off the accelerator pedal at a driving speed from 55 to 160 km/h (34.2 to 99.4 mph), the car can coast for up to 40 seconds with the engine shut off completely. When coasting at low speeds, the start-stop phase already begins at 22 km/h (13.7 mph). The drive management system utilizes information from the navigation map and on-board sensors to evaluate whether coasting is more fuel-efficient or recuperation. It selects recuperation, for instance, if the efficiency assistant detects a vehicle driving ahead. In the braking phases, the BAS assists in braking and can feed the recovered electrical energy into the 48-volt storage unit or use it directly for electrical consumers.

When the driver presses the accelerator pedal again after a coasting phase or a stop, the BAS restarts the combustion engine. The conventional pinion starter is only used for the initial starting operation when the engine oil is still cold and a higher starting torque is required. The BAS start is controlled based on load demands by the driver. For example, if the air conditioner is activated and requires an engine start while the vehicle is stopped, the engine is restarted very comfortable. The same is true if the driver releases the brake pedal in a start-stop phase to rejoin other vehicles in traffic. If the driver presses the accelerator pedal further, signaling a wish for significant acceleration, the engine start is executed as quickly as possible. In addition, there is what is known as the predictive convenience start. Here, the engine is started as soon as the car ahead starts moving, even if the driver is still pressing the brake pedal.”

According to the manual the Car needs to be in either Drive or Economy modes and intelligent coasting enabled in the mmi.

Thanks, very useful. I think it's saying that the 'forward' sensor (for pre-sense etc) is one of the sensors that inputs into the decision to coast, recuperate or restart i.e if you're following another car, less likely to coast. Overall, I think the way this functionality works with the gearbox and the sat nav is very effective and it seems to make the decisions I would as the driver.

However, the missing piece of the jigsaw is having no visibility of how much energy is stored in the 48v system at any one time and what changes in behaviour there are when energy levels are low e.g. no 'electric assistance infill' below x rpm

Hi Dave,you have got a very technical response to your question which is spot on.I have an S4 as well and before that an a8 which is very similar and I found I drove a simallar route regularally which was 35 miles each way but a lot downhill on the way there and uphill back,the car would coast a lot on the way there and refuse to do so on the downhill stretches on the way back.After investigating this it was because there was little breaking to recharge the 48 volt battery which starts the car after a period of coasting and also adds the power to reduce the lag.The a8 did have a battery gauge to show when you were charging and how much is available I have not found this on the S4.
I found I have changed my driving style to add more breaking which seems to keep the battery charged also try to coast on a big hill where I can get as long a coast as possible because if I can get the full 40 sec coast and 1 restart I can get more out of the car than say trying for 4 10 sec coasts.On small trips round town I switch off the stop start and only put it on if I know I will be queuing a lot to conserve power.
The coasting function works in individual mode as well as long as it is switched on in mmi.A lot less technical Dave but some of my findings

Another point as was said byFrizzley if you are close to a car in front it will switch off but also it is connected to the nav so if there is a moderate to sharp bend it will also switch off. The key to the S4 is coasting at the right times and leaving enough in the battery to avoid the lag,without the gauge it is a tricky balance but as you get more used to it it will come.I average about 40 mpg without trying and have seen 48 mpg on a long run using the coasting sparingly which is impressive with such a brisk car.You will love it once you get the flow with it.Last thing mind over 159 mph the fuel consumption goes down to 13 mpg so I am told!!!lol

Another point as was said byFrizzley if you are close to a car in front it will switch off but also it is connected to the nav so if there is a moderate to sharp bend it will also switch off. The key to the S4 is coasting at the right times and leaving enough in the battery to avoid the lag,without the gauge it is a tricky balance but as you get more used to it it will come.I average about 40 mpg without trying and have seen 48 mpg on a long run using the coasting sparingly which is impressive with such a brisk car.You will love it once you get the flow with it.Last thing mind over 159 mph the fuel consumption goes down to 13 mpg so I am told!!!lol

All very useful info, thanks; I suspect it is set up to achieve the best WLTP figures and the claimed accleration, but not necessarily the best for daily driving. Between us we should be able to work out the 'logic' and get the best out of the S4.

All very useful info, thanks; I suspect it is set up to achieve the best WLTP figures and the claimed accleration, but not necessarily the best for daily driving. Between us we should be able to work out the 'logic' and get the best out of the S4.
I am sure you will it never ceases to amaze the blend of performance and economy of the S4 for me it is almost perfect as a daily driver….almost

Good to hear some of the experience on the S4 battery state seems like an interesting readout probably hard to get something that means something, voltage or amp hours left what did the A8 show? In my A3 I was able to code up the oil temp to show in the dis wonder of you can tweak driving data to show 48v system state?

My wife's car a Tiguan likes to pop up information on the sat nav screen every time it doesn't stop start with the reason why, cabin temp etc guessing the same isn't happening here?

You'd imagine it would maintain charge in the li-ion to keep the EPC spinning up and sacrifice stop start if the battery wasn't charged like it does with standard 12v system

I'm about to swap from an S3 to the new S4 Avant. Borrowed one for 4 days to get a proper test drive and was amazed by the torque. A little sluggish at low revs compared to my S3 but once moving it just kept accelerating. Have to say I was smitten and promptly ordered one.

Hi Eddie, what was the reg of the S4 you test drove? They overhauled the engine for new rde2 emission regs in Jan which should help the low down delay (shorter intake and more electric compressor action) bought the peak torque down to 1,750 rpm so you might find you have less delay than you expect!

Reactions: AudiEddie
Hi Eddie, what was the reg of the S4 you test drove? They overhauled the engine for new rde2 emission regs in Jan which should help the low down delay (shorter intake and more electric compressor action) bought the peak torque down to 1,750 rpm so you might find you have less delay than you expect!
It was back in August last year (69 plate) so that is great news for my build

I did a thread on here but if you look up sq5 engine they launched the revised architecture with the facelift release so it got some press coverage, automan.nl did a drove in one as well, wetted my appetite while I was waiting.

They went onto production for the new engine mid Jan 21 so anything post that labelled as a 341ps compared to the 347ps is the revised engine

Reactions: AudiEddie
Slightly late to the party...

I've had my S4 TDI for just over a year and overall I love it, but the one thing that bugs me is the random deployment of power/gearing in certain situations.

Mainly it occurs in drive mode D, slowing down before a roundabout or sharp turn then applying throttle only to be left with nothing. At this point I instinctively add more throttle and then moments later receive far too much, too late. I've talked to my dealer about it and they were not aware of any updates available and instead carried out an hour long drive to reset the adaptions. This has done nothing.

I've seen some comments above about a gearbox update which might improve this a little so if anyone has specific details that I can share with the dealer I'd be very grateful!

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has tried any off the shelf gearbox flash products such as the DTUK one. I installed a pedal box, which engaged the throttle with less pressure, but did nothing for this particular issue. Before I spend anymore I'm keen to hear someone else's experience. Cheers!

I have the same in my S5 TDI . I’ve just gotten into the habit of a touching the gear lever into S when I realize I’m about to stop and I will need to move quickly (e.g pulling into traffic)… that said, the delay isnt too bad without this .. but the power surge can be tricky as there is so much low end torque …

I have a S4 saloon and checked it had the gearbox fix from Audi only available under warranty if you complain about the lag still some lag but huge improvement had it on track with race logic and got a 0 to 60 in 4.27 and topped 159 in molested guise
I think a lot of people compare the petrol to diesel to death.The rs cars are if you want to be a loon if you want a blend of fast road car,comfort,and reasonable economy with stunning ability to overtake at will, the S4 is a perfect blend.
On a long run 45 mpg easy and a back massage to boot.The thing people seem to forget is a car is as fast as the driver wants it to be ,my wife has a 4 year old 1.4 golf auto and not much takes her of the line she is a loon yes an rs against an s is a no contest but only if the rs driver is up for it.
The S4 is a hugely capable all rounder not a sports car,drag racer or designed for the track it is a road car for the sensible driver and if you view it that way you will see what a good car it is.
Hey Karl g do you have any details about the gearbox fix that I can share with my dealer? They seem not to know about it but it sounds like they might not be totally up front. I'd love to have more to tell them so they realise I'm not going to quit

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have only owned my 347BHP (Earlier Engine Revision) Nov 2019 S4 for a few weeks.

I have just done a 1200 mile round trip to the alps and the low down lag was awful, especially when on the twisty mountain roads in the French alps ... (straight...hairpin...straight...hairpin) the only way I could get the car to respond as required was to use manual shifting as the auto could just not give me power when I wanted it.

I asked Audi about the software update and they said the one available would not "fix" this problem, they could not identify any lag (god know how they couldn't as it is awful) so they wont update the gearbox as it is not for the "problem" I have. Does anyone have any more detailed info please?

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have only owned my 347BHP (Earlier Engine Revision) Nov 2019 S4 for a few weeks.

I have just done a 1200 mile round trip to the alps and the low down lag was awful, especially when on the twisty mountain roads in the French alps ... (straight...hairpin...straight...hairpin) the only way I could get the car to respond as required was to use manual shifting as the auto could just not give me power when I wanted it.

I asked Audi about the software update and they said the one available would not "fix" this problem, they could not identify any lag (god know how they couldn't as it is awful) so they wont update the gearbox as it is not for the "problem" I have. Does anyone have any more detailed info please?
This was my conclusion when I tested the S4. Lag followed by immense torque was both annoying and neck-breaking. It made it difficult to use all the power available. And as I said on another thread, and has been said many times above, the S4 3.0 is much much rougher and gruffer than all my previoius 3.0TDIs, 237 A5, 218 A4 and 272 A4. A real lorry!

This was my conclusion when I tested the S4. Lag followed by immense torque was both annoying and neck-breaking. It made it difficult to use all the power available. And as I said on another thread, and has been said many times above, the S4 3.0 is much much rougher and gruffer than all my previoius 3.0TDIs, 237 A5, 218 A4 and 272 A4. A real lorry!
I have an S5 TDI from 2020. Honestly , no lag if you put it in sport or dynamic, it . It rips from 1000 rpm. Also, compared to the A6 TDI 3L I had, I don’t find it any rougher. A bit more rumbly when cold but when it’s warmed up, it’s very smooth. It’s got 16K miles on it ,
admittedly If it’s in comfort ame you need to pull out of a junction quickly , box needs to be in sport with a small flick of the selector .There is a notable lag in comfort (where mine spends most the time ). Ride is also bang on , though I have adaptive. Nothing can compensate for the large potholes however .

I have an S5 TDI from 2020. Honestly , no lag if you put it in sport or dynamic, it . It rips from 1000 rpm. Also, compared to the A6 TDI 3L I had, I don’t find it any rougher. A bit more rumbly when cold but when it’s warmed up, it’s very smooth. It’s got 16K miles on it ,
admittedly If it’s in comfort ame you need to pull out of a junction quickly , box needs to be in sport with a small flick of the selector .There is a notable lag in comfort (where mine spends most the time ). Ride is also bang on , though I have adaptive. Nothing can compensate for the large potholes however .
Well I tried all modes on drive select and S gearbox in even the limp comfort and auto modes. It was simply unsatisfactory in 2023. I have a 35TDI S-Tronic which is way better than the S4 I tested, in all modes. As was the 40TDI I rentred a while back and the 35TDI I test drove back in 2020. Admittedly my old 218 3.0 TDI S-Tronic, as opposed to tiptronic was also dire, but that was a 2017 model. We've moved on since then and it appears the software on the S4 ZF8 has been left behind. Odd that BMW seem to have this mastered. And have done for getting on for 10 years.
I really, I mean REALLY, wanted to like the S4TDI. It seemed like my ideal car on paper. But alas no, it appears it is trying to be too much and I have to say that IMHO the old 272 TDI was a far better all round grand touring machine.

Well I tried all modes on drive select and S gearbox in even the limp comfort and auto modes. It was simply unsatisfactory in 2023. I have a 35TDI S-Tronic which is way better than the S4 I tested, in all modes. As was the 40TDI I rentred a while back and the 35TDI I test drove back in 2020. Admittedly my old 218 3.0 TDI S-Tronic, as opposed to tiptronic was also dire, but that was a 2017 model. We've moved on since then and it appears the software on the S4 ZF8 has been left behind. Odd that BMW seem to have this mastered. And have done for getting on for 10 years.
I really, I mean REALLY, wanted to like the S4TDI. It seemed like my ideal car on paper. But alas no, it appears it is trying to be too much and I have to say that IMHO the old 272 TDI was a far better all round grand touring machine.
Hello there, I take it you test drove the newest S4 with the revised engine? Forgive a possibly stupid question but I actually have a S4 Avant on order (due July -23 originally but now pushed back to Nov,Dec-23). I am really concerned about the lag I have been reading about (I'm a real worrier), looking back I was quite stupid as I couldn't test drive the S4 as the dealership didn't have one to try as they said it is a special order. I am now debating cancelling the order but really don't know what to do. I was hoping the 'new engine' would resolve the lag.

I am a bit gutted, I was really looking forward to getting the car until I read these posts.
my experience with the same engine (albeit 2020 ), is that you can operate the car without any real perceptible lag unless you want to be blasting away from the lights .(which I I rarely do). even then, it’s tiny (my perception). the only thing is developing a habit to put gearbox into s at roundabouts so you have minimal lag when pulling out if it’s busy .. that’s just a tiny flick of the selector . I’m sure you’ll love the monster torque that just keeps going and going. But test driving one might be a good idea before you pull the plug and cancel or continue or commit.. (or test an S5 as plenty of those about)..

Hello there, I take it you test drove the newest S4 with the revised engine? Forgive a possibly stupid question but I actually have a S4 Avant on order (due July -23 originally but now pushed back to Nov,Dec-23). I am really concerned about the lag I have been reading about (I'm a real worrier), looking back I was quite stupid as I couldn't test drive the S4 as the dealership didn't have one to try as they said it is a special order. I am now debating cancelling the order but really don't know what to do. I was hoping the 'new engine' would resolve the lag.
It was a 2022 model I tried. Late ‘21 registered. I’m 99% sure it was the new engine. I was in the same position as you but held off until I found one to test drive. Glad I did. In all honesty, well in my opinion at leas, the 40 Quattro is a more likeable machine.
I’m not sure where you live but a quick search on auto trader shows a few about. 2021 and later. A few hours travel to try one is nothing compared to buying the wrong car. I had to do a 120 mile round trip but it was well worth it.

Thank Guys. Certainly given me some food for thought. I note Coulson Audi have two second hand ones which is about an hour and twenty minutes away for me. Trying to convince my hubby to test drive one as he thinks I am over reacting.

I am a bit gutted, I was really looking forward to getting the car until I read these posts
Keep looking forward to it - it’s a fantastic car. Had my S5 for a couple of years now and love it. Yes depending on which Drive Select programme you have it in ie economy or comfort there can be a slight lag when accelerating at slow speeds but when it’s in dynamic ive never noticed it. Pop into sport mode makes it even more responsive. An anlterative option is to use the individual mode where you can set different settings for the gearbox, steering, suspension, diff etc depending on which version you’ve ordered.

Tiptronic is smoother than the STronic and also has 8 gears rather than 7 but depending how you drive the car it’s difficult to notice the difference.

id certainly have no hesitation in getting another S5 which shares the same drivetrain as the S4