Cam belt kit???

Steveo_A3_1.8t

Reaction score
hi all, cam belt and water pump is on my list of never ending 'to do's' on my car. just been to price up the bits both at the stealers and euro's. £75 at euros (inc hydraulic damper???:unsure: whatever that is??, tensioner???) and £114 in kit form at Audi.

and before people start shouting at me im doing the pump to:p.

basicly i wanna know if the audi kit is the only way to go?? im assuming it is, but just wanted to know if anyone else has used the euros kit for an entire recomended cambelt life span?? or know of any relevant info.

Thanks peeps

oh, what is the recomened mileage intervals for a cambelt???

Thanks again

steve

hi all, cam belt and water pump is on my list of never ending 'to do's' on my car. just been to price up the bits both at the stealers and euro's. £75 at euros (inc hydraulic damper???:unsure: whatever that is??, tensioner???) and £114 in kit form at Audi.

basicly i wanna know if the audi kit is the only way to go?? im assuming it is, but just wanted to know if anyone else has used the euros kit for an entire recomended cambelt life span?? or know of any relevant info.

Thanks peeps

Thanks again

steve

Have used a ECP Contitech belt kit before in the past with no problems.

The ECP kit I got was identical to the factory fitted one I took off. Both were Conti belts and you could see where the Audi logo and part number had been removed on the new vibration damper. You're basically paying £40 for those logos!

Thanks for input guys, but after checking my Audi handbook I've just realised that the car has full Audi history up to 58k, and the belt was changed on the last recorded service with Oxford Audi. and the car is now on 85k. As you can imagine I panicked when Paul said every 60k as the car is on 85k now!! But all is well now ha ha

Thanks peeps

Thanks again

steve

Hi mate I work for Audi so if you want i'll get ya a price for the kit with discount? :eyebrows:

Hi mate I work for Audi so if you want i'll get ya a price for the kit with discount? :eyebrows:

Cheers matey that very decent of you, but as I said when I actually checked the service history I found that it was done 30k ago.
For some reason I thought it needed to be done at 80k, so was getting geared up to do it, But I've had an unusual stroke of luck.

Thanks again thou mate

Last edited:
I would check the condition of the belt, tensioners and water pump as they wear and not allways replaced when doing a cambelt ! I have seen dealer's jobs where they only replaced the belt and tensioner whilst leaving the old water pump and iddler in place, gues what they will say when the pump's bearings colapse 5-10k down the line ? Also, on most dealer receipts the parts invoice isnt allways clear so it does not say what was changed and when unless you supply the parts yourself. I would still do a cambelt just for peace of mind, they should be replaced after xx hours of running as not everyone is driving the same way + if it lets go you're looking at massive bils in labour costs wich will most likely write the car off ! Just rebuilt a 1.9 tdi engine the other day, owner had the belt changed in dealer at 85k in 2005, the belt had only 20k on it but it was 6 years old, yet it stripped the theets off and bent 4 valves, result: 350 quid in parts and 300 quid labour for a car that's worth 800 quid tops !

I would check the condition of the belt, tensioners and water pump as they wear and not allways replaced when doing a cambelt ! I have seen dealer's jobs where they only replaced the belt and tensioner whilst leaving the old water pump and iddler in place, gues what they will say when the pump's bearings colapse 5-10k down the line ? Also, on most dealer receipts the parts invoice isnt allways clear so it does not say what was changed and when unless you supply the parts yourself. I would still do a cambelt just for peace of mind, they should be replaced after xx hours of running as not everyone is driving the same way + if it lets go you're looking at massive bils in labour costs wich will most likely write the car off ! Just rebuilt a 1.9 tdi engine the other day, owner had the belt changed in dealer at 85k in 2005, the belt had only 20k on it but it was 6 years old, yet it stripped the theets off and bent 4 valves, result: 350 quid in parts and 300 quid labour for a car that's worth 800 quid tops !

Yeah I'm aware the damage a failed timing belt can cause, My belt was changed in 2008 at 57k, not sure about pump and tensioners. The car Is on 87k now. I can see what your saying about peace of mind, and buy the time I've removed enough components to check the belt/tensioner/idler and pump I may have well just changed both right??

After the posts below I'm tempted to get all parts from Euro car parts. What do u reckon??

I'm not saying I don't trust all the other posts you guys have posted, but I just want as many opinions as possible :)

Cheers

Steve

Contitech kits or SKF kits are both very good and they are OEM manufacturers. Dealer prices are not that bad nowadays and you get 2 years parts and labour guarantee if you have the kit fitted by a decent garage, wich means that audi will foot the bill in the event of a failure-very unlikely in 2 years but i have seen it happening (ussualy is because incorectly fitted parts)...

Contitech kits or SKF kits are both very good and they are OEM manufacturers. Dealer prices are not that bad nowadays and you get 2 years parts and labour guarantee if you have the kit fitted by a decent garage, wich means that audi will foot the bill in the event of a failure-very unlikely in 2 years but i have seen it happening (ussualy is because incorectly fitted parts)...

Dealer cambelt kit is £114
Dealer pump is £41

ECP cambelt kit is £75
ECP pump is £20

Also I'm not paying a garage cos my mate is a great mechanic so he will do it .