Cam Belt Snapped :-(

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
Hi all, been a while since I posted but a few weeks ago my cam belt went on my S3, now I don't know what to do for the best, scrap it, break it, or sell it as is or repair and sell it, any advice??

Depends on the damage... normally a snapped belt takes out the valve and potentially the head... the impact marks on the pistons can be sorted and if the head is ok then the valves replaced... then its just a case of headgasket, headbolts, cam belt kit (and water pump realistically)

Second hand heads can be bought cheaply enough too...

Its a bit of a difficult question to answer properly as tbh only you can judge its value to you vs cost of repair...

You would be best to find out how much it will cost you to fix then make a call on that... if its going to cost you less than a grand to get it running again then you can run the car for another year or so without really losing anything... if you plan to fix and sell on then thats a different matter

<tuffty/>

Theres a couple of bent valves, 2 pistons with dings in them off 2 of the valves, not had the pistons out so only see the dints.
Cars done 140k and mint condition with lots of options on it, been quoted £1500 to get it done, trouble is im commuting 50 mile a day now in 206 diseasel so find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place

Could there be any unseen damage to the pistons though, like cracked maybe?

unlikely, but you won't know till you look. More likely little dents that need the sharp edges removing to prevent hot spots