cam belt

Peter Elliott

Reaction score
Since buying my audi my brother who is a mechanic (he used to work at the audi dealer where i brought my car) told me that the cam belt "should" be changed roughly every 4 years... my audi is a 57 plate and i brought it in march 2012.. my brother also told me that the dealer "shouldve" changed the cam belt before they sold it.. how true is this and would i be right in taking my car to the dealer and asking them to change it as it shouldve been done before i brought it?

Interval should be in the manual. New to Audi so don't know myself. 4Yrs isn't unheard of, but it's pretty low.

Id be surprised if it is, unless there has been issues.
Ie vauxhall swapped their eco tecs from 6 to 4 yrs due to problems.

6 is average, some go 10. But as I said, I can't say for yours, I can look tom at work in the snap on cambelt book.
What engine is it.

As for dealer doing it, there's no rules really. Depends how much profit there was in the car, and how shady the dealer is.
It will be down to sales dept saving cash.

but depends how many miles you have on the car aswell

I recently changed my Cam Belt & Water Pump on my A4 B7 2.0 TDI after 78,000 miles and the mechanic said both the belt & pump looked in good condition. He also mentioned that I should change it again once it hits 120,000 miles or after 4 years.

I can help here. I have an Audi A4 V6 2.4 built 1999. The mileage is only 50,000. The recommended 1st cam belt change is 80,000 miles. I spoke to Audi technical and they recommended that it should be changed now as cambelts do deteriorate with time. For verification I spoke to Gates in the USA who make the belts and they said precisely the same thing. This is sufficiently convincing for me.

One extra point. I feel Audi should explain this issue in detail in the manual.

I changed mine at 80k, together with the water pump. I had a fantastic conversation with the customer service assistant at my local Audi dealer when I was trying to get a price. I was assured that my car did not have a cam belt and so it does not need to be changed!!! This meant I could use one of my favourite phrases "Have you got a grown up I can talk to".