Cam Belt

jamessg1962

Reaction score
Just got my car back from it's 3rd variable service ,A3 2.0 TDI Sport ,38000 miles showing .
Audi dealer has said it needs cam belt replaced (54 plate ) .i thought it was only changed at 60000 !. They said it is now 60000 or 5 years whatever comes first . when did they change it ? can't see any mention of 5 years in service handbook .
Also why do they keep changing the type of oil they put in .Last service the put in mobil 1 now it's castrol Edge ?

5 years is correct for a cambelt change, regardless of mileage.
I recently had mine done at 35k and my car is roughly the same age as yours.
It's something to do with the belt rubber aging and becoming more prone to snapping.

Rubber perishes as well as looses its strength so why take the risk,it is 5years now and it may have been changed to that because they may have had a couple of belts showing bad wear or worse from original cambelt change estimations,as i said its a big risk with a big cost if you dont

Yes they did say they had a special offer on at the moment £329, forgot to ask if this was a kit ,tensioner etc or are they extra ?

They also mentioned the glove box damper had snapped, but at £85.23 a shot i declined

It varies from place to place, but I would say somewhere around the £60 mark (give or take a bit) if done at same time as the belt change.
Most of the work/labour is carried out when changing the belt, so changing the pump is easy while everything is already off.

You shouldn't have to pay any more than £400 all in, belt and pump.