Can a S3 operate FWD not quattro?

Adhamnader

Reaction score
So, I’m thinking of upgrading my A3 engine from 1.4 tfsi to the S3 engine but i’m wondering can it operate fwd not quattro?

Matched with the correct transmission anything is possible so do your research and get stuck right in :s3addict:

I converted my wife's Astra mk3 1.6L and installed an Omega 3.0L V6 using Vectra intake/ancillaries, Calibra 6 speed box and even added ABS from a Vectra so I could utilise the traction control feature. It's a hoot to drive and totally transformed the car:racer:
20150920_152739Small.jpg

20150920_153209Small.jpg

Reactions: jimojameso and Fatbloke
So, I’m thinking of upgrading my A3 engine from 1.4 tfsi to the S3 engine but i’m wondering can it operate fwd not quattro?

Probably as the Quattro system is through the gearbox, not the engine. However, I'd say its a complete waste of time, as you can buy an S3, or at least a 2.0TSFI A3. It would be better going for the latter, and then upgrading the turbo, injectors, IC etc if you want more power. Although, you'd probably need to upgrade the differentials as well.

I have converted a FWD car to 300bhp, MK2 Golf using an S3 BAM engine, but that was a car that couldn't be bought off the shelf with that setup.

Reactions: JohnM100
I also wouldn't bother, just buy an S3 unless you are doing for the fun of doing.

An S3 in normal driving is in FWD most of the time anyway.

However, I'd say its a complete waste of time, as you can buy an S3, or at least a 2.0TSFI A3. It would be better going for the latter, and then upgrading the turbo, injectors, IC etc if you want more power. Although, you'd probably need to upgrade the differentials as well.

^This.
From a 1.4 body you’d also need to upgrade brakes, suspension, high pressure fuel pump, add low pressure fuel system for port injection as well as some software magic. If you are going down this route then a 1.8 chassis would be a better starting point as it has most things in the engine bay in similar places to the S3 and a low pressure fuel system already but you are limited to 2013-2014 (ish) for those.

Agree with Dubjam: Easier to buy an S3, or get a 2.0 and put a stage 1 map / MTM Cantonic box on it.

Last edited:
As someone who spent the best part of 6 months and 2,500 miles with their S3's Haldex system not working correctly, I can confirm two things.

Firstly, even when not working properly an S3 is *not* 2WD most of the time. It's always apportioning some of its power to the rear wheels, usually quite a low percentage. The only way it will be 2WD all the time is if you disconnect the Hadlex system entirely.

Secondly, having fully functioning AWD restored makes a *huge* difference to the driving experience. I cannot stress this enough. My Haldex was partly working for those 6 months but wouldn't give full power distribution as it should - restoring to full working order made an absolutely gigantic change to the way it drives. With full AWD, an S3's traction control, throttle and other systems behave completely differently.

OP, I think your question is better phrased as "will a 2.0T EA888 engine transplant work in my car". Engine swaps are a popular question - and the answer is yes. You will have to decide what sort of upgrades you would wish to do to the transmission, because a 2WD 2.0T EA888 in even something like a Golf GTI will have an upgraded differential (typically "VAQ").

The answer to a further question of "is it economic to do a 2.0T transplant" is a firm no. It will usually be cheaper to sell up and then buy a 2.0T, 2.0T quattro or S3.

Reactions: jimojameso and Harvey
Assuming you could get the engine to mate to the transmission I think the main problem will be the ECU. You would need an S3 ECU to run the engine properly and I suspect that would moan about a whole load of missing things including the haldex / haldex controller. This is a guess, could be wrong. Even then, when the haldex isnt working properly the wheel spin is absurd and the car would be nigh on undrivable especially in the wet. I dont care what anyone says: 300bhp through front wheels only is a a silly idea in this country where half the time the roads are damp.

Reactions: The Cardinal and Dubjam