Can I syphon diesel out of my A3?

TimG

Reaction score
I'm moving house at the weekend, which is going to be royally screwed up by the government *****/press if I cant put diesel in the van.

Is it easy enough to syphon fuel out of the A3 tank, or any reason why it wont work?

Cheers

There is a very high chance you'll have anti-syphoning bit with in the pipe to stop that from happening.
I've got on my B5.
Couple of inches in is a bar across the pipe to stop you from putting a tube down.
You might be able to find a really thin tube and use that.

Or depending how mechanical you are and the pump set up on the 8P.
You could unplug one of the feed hoses from the pump, put your own hose on and pump it direct from 1 tank to another.
I don't know the set up on a 8P so don't quote me on it.

If your going to syphon the tank with a tube bend the tube at the bottom and then twist multiple ways when you feel it hitting the anti-syphon device. The allows it to bend around the device and gets into your tank. This has worked for me on numerous cars.......and before you ask no I dont do this for a living.:busted_cop:

Car rental companies do it all the time when they have turn backs and cars going back to manufacturer and Audi A3's are by far the most popular car with the public and for staff.

Thanks guys. Although petrol stations were ridiculously busy and were sporadically closed throughout the day, they are still getting deliveries as normal so I think its just hitting it right and being prepared to queue! Hopefully wont need to do any syphoning!

Tomorrow will be back to normal. There's not even going to be a strike!

Depends where you are - I started off this morning, filled my car in an empty petrol station, then drove through a dozen towns where everywhere was either full or had a mile long queue, then ended my journey by getting a sandwich from another petrol station where they've had no panic buying... it seems to be on a town-by-town basis, presumably dependant on the ratio of morons to petrol stations.

TBH, I would just disconnect the feed to the fuel filter, stick a pipe on this to a jug or the like, then turn engine over with the power pack on right side of engine disconnected, it will pump it out fine, just make sure you bleed the filter afterwards with the top screw on the filter housing before using the car again, then reattach connector to engine, start her up leave for few minutes, then should be fine from there.