can newer steering wheels fit on 1999 A6?

shufti

Reaction score
I want to replace the standard 4 spoke wheel for a 3 spoke but do the newer a6 style ones (late 2001 onwards) or other audi car wheels fit my 1999 a6?

If not I will just go for the sline quatro one like this..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110161281863&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

but would prefer the ones with the chrome ring in the middle similar to this one..... http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-3-Speichen-...ryZ53942QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

does anyone know what goes on ok?

cheers

my concern would be more to do with compatible air bags. not sure if the all have the same plug on the end.

TonyT

TonyT said:
my concern would be more to do with compatible air bags. not sure if the all have the same plug on the end.

TonyT

A6 avant? little beauty? Little?!?!?!? is a flippin bus is what it is. Nice bus though. Got one myself :)

Right, the more important thing is airbag compatibility between single stage airbags and dual stage airbags.

Generally, the wheels will bolt over, it's just making sure the electronics all work correctly. I'm in the middle of a retrofit and trying to figure out how to make the tiptronics work...

The problem I have is I have an S6 with the multifunction steering wheel (MFSW) that uses a CAN-BUS controller. Basically, all the buttons the wheels (volume, station search, phone, etc.) all pass through two wires. The standard tiptronic wheels do not appear to use CAN-BUS and are hardwired to the TCU. So, I'm figuring out exactly what I want to do. I may ultimately end up tapping the center console, like in the write-up, but I'm trying to see if there are other options...

Thanks though.

ah...... if you ever able to figure that out. would like to know how you did it. that will be interesting. I thought about putting steering after I read that link mysqlf but your project is more interesting.:idea: