Can OBDeleven fill my coding needs?

bobbytomorow

Reaction score
I have recently retrofitted a multifunction steering wheel to my 2006 A3 following a tutorial on a vwvortex, now I just need to do the coding so the buttons on the new wheel function properly. Although the tutorial uses VCDS to do the coding could this also be done using OBDeleven?

This is where I’m at in the tutorial for reference:

plug your VCDS cable into your car and computer. Open the VCDS program, and go to module 16, steering. My original coding looked like this: 0010042 -- the first two numbers should stay the same. The "1" is for automatic. A manual has a "0" there. Leave that alone. The next number tells the computer the steering wheel type. Full MFSW is a "4". The next number tells the computer if you have tiptronic or not. Add "1" to whatever is there. In my case, 0+1=1, so I put in a "1". The next number tells the computer what your steering control module is, and the next tells it if you have a rear wiper or not. You can probably leave these alone. My new coding is: 0014142. Click "Do it!" and you should get a message that says "Coding accepted". Once this happens, cycle the ignition back off, start her up, and go for a test drive. You're done
Basically would I be able to do that step using an obdeleven ?

Yes, it would be able. I coded puddle & warning lights recently with the OBDeleven by changing numbers. Everything went well. I bet coding the steering wheel wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: Suffolk Bloke
Thanks for that’s answer! I couldn’t find confirmation anywhere that obd11 would be able. To code a MFSW retrofit but if it can do what you have done via coding I don’t see why not.

Time to take the plunge and find out. I will report back with results soon as one ships to me :^)

Thanks for that’s answer! I couldn’t find confirmation anywhere that obd11 would be able. To code a MFSW retrofit but if it can do what you have done via coding I don’t see why not.

Time to take the plunge and find out. I will report back with results soon as one ships to me :^)
It might be worth sending theses guys a PM @NHN or @Ash187 and they should be able to help as this is what they do for a living @NHN is mobile

Reactions: bobbytomorow
Ok the OBDeleven arrived today and it did what I wanted, I was able to enable the paddle shifters as well as the audio controls.

Reactions: dp_motley
I’m not sure what you can use with a PC, as far as I know it only works with their proprietary Android app which is what I use. I bought an android device specifically for the purpose of using obd11 because they don’t have an iOS app.

I’m not sure what you can use with a PC, as far as I know it only works with their proprietary Android app which is what I use. I bought an android device specifically for the purpose of using obd11 because they don’t have an iOS app.

hi bobbytomorow what android app have you downloaded for it to work

Ok the OBDeleven arrived today and it did what I wanted, I was able to enable the paddle shifters as well as the audio controls.

Hello Bobby,
I hope this comment finds you well.
I am new here, and i just got my first Audi A4 B7 8E 2005 version, Mine came with a steering wheel without any controls.
I am thinking to replace it. Could you share with me tips on what to look for to avoid buying ones that doesn't fit, and how did you code that with OBDEleven?

Hello I'm new too. how to code that with obd11?
Please