Can VCDS detect TD1?

Vishal Tween

Reaction score
I am reading up about the TD1 flag and how it tells Audi there has been an un-authorized/unexpected change to the engine control module.

But I can't find any info on whether or not VCDS can be used to detect TD1?

I am due to take my car into Audi for some work and want to check before I go in, just in case.

So can VCDS detect a TD1 flag? And if so, how do I check?

Thanks!

I am reading up about the TD1 flag and how it tells Audi there has been an un-authorized/unexpected change to the engine control module.

But I can't find any info on whether or not VCDS can be used to detect TD1?

I am due to take my car into Audi for some work and want to check before I go in, just in case.

So can VCDS detect a TD1 flag? And if so, how do I check?

Thanks!
Not possible via any application other then the official VW Group diagnostic tool.

Ah thanks for that.

That's a shame. Although I read online that if you have TD1 and then they apply a firmware update via the authorized Audi network, it clears the TD1 as there is no longer a mismatch in the checksum?

Question is how do you convince them to do that.

Ah thanks for that.

That's a shame. Although I read online that if you have TD1 and then they apply a firmware update via the authorized Audi network, it clears the TD1 as there is no longer a mismatch in the checksum?

Question is how do you convince them to do that.
lol no, TD1 cannot be removed by anyone other than an Audi Engineer as the flag / record, although logged on the ECU, is actually logged against the vehicles chassis number and digital network record.. Dealership staff cannot do this.

lol no, TD1 cannot be removed by anyone other than an Audi Engineer as the flag / record, although logged on the ECU, is actually logged against the vehicles chassis number and digital network record.. Dealership staff cannot do this.

Sorry, I think we have misunderstood each other.

I mean that if the Audi dealer flashes your ECU to the latest and greatest firmware, surely the checksum will match exactly what the Audi System is expecting, therefore meaning there is no longer a mismatch in the engine control module?

Say they flash it with the latest firmware with a checksum value of 1 (I know that they are much larger than this, just for representation), the system will now expect a checksum value of 1. So when they plug in again, the system expectation and the ECM reality are inline, therefore meaning there would be no current TD1? Not to say of course that the previous TD1 wouldn't stay on the record as an advisory.

Just trying to wrap my head around this though, not in any way saying you are wrong or I don't believe you etc.

Do you know which cars this impacts by the way? Is it a case of any car with an ECM essentially? Or is it any car built after a certain date?

One would assume it was any car, as the check is being validated on the dealer software, not the ECU?

Sorry, I think we have misunderstood each other.

I mean that if the Audi dealer flashes your ECU to the latest and greatest firmware, surely the checksum will match exactly what the Audi System is expecting, therefore meaning there is no longer a mismatch in the engine control module? Say they flash it with the latest firmware with a checksum value of 1 (I know that they are much larger than this, just for representation), the system will now expect a checksum value of 1. So when they plug in again, the system expectation and the ECM reality are inline, therefore meaning there would be no current TD1?

Just trying to wrap my head around this though, not in any way saying you are wrong or I don't believe you etc.

Do you know which cars this impacts by the way? Is it a case of any car with an ECM essentially? Or is it any car built after a certain date?

One would assume it was any car, as the check is being validated on the dealer software, not the ECU?
TD1 is a flag which is placed upon a vehicle if "tampering" has been detected. Tampering is not just based on checking the "checksum". The flag is placed within the ECU and within the vehicles digital record which VW Group holds within their database and on their private network, against VIN number. This flag can only be seen via the official VW Group diagnostic application known as ODIS and with a specific level of access authorisation. This flag can only be removed via a VW Group engineer. The staff within dealerships are technicians and have no real control over anything and will only do what they are told / guided to do via the ODIS system. Re-flashing original software does nothing as all coding and adaptations are retained.

Any vehicle with an electric control module is affected. Tampering can be logged against ANY control module within a vehicle, as there are firmware hacks for everything these days, from park assist to MMI.

*I am an authorised VW Group services provider and independent repairer with full ODIS access for all VAG brands.

Reactions: Vishal Tween
TD1 is a flag which is placed upon a vehicle if "tampering" has been detected. Tampering is not just based on checking the "checksum". The flag is placed within the ECU and within the vehicles digital record which VW Group holds within their database and on their private network, against VIN number. This flag can only be seen via the official VW Group diagnostic application known as ODIS and with a specific level of access authorisation. This flag can only be removed via a VW Group engineer. The staff within dealerships are technicians and have no real control over anything and will only do what they are told / guided to do via the ODIS system. Re-flashing original software does nothing as all coding and adaptations are retained.

Any vehicle with an electric control module is affected. Tampering can be logged against ANY control module within a vehicle, as there are firmware hacks for everything these days, from park assist to MMI.

*I am an authorised VW Group services provider and independent repairer with full ODIS access for all VAG brands.

Thank you for the comprehensive write up.

That clears that up then!

So whilst I have the attention of such a knowledgeable member such as yourself, could you please help with the following?

I bought my S3 private sale, and the owner (he was the 2nd owner) told me (when asked) that he had not had it remapped.

I suspect it has been, and want the remap removed.

Currently, my ECM is running Software "A00 A5.1.6" (found in the Advanced Information on VCDS).

I have spoke to Niki at R-Tech and he has said he can put it back to stock for me.

If I ask Niki to flash it with "A00 A5.1.6", will this restore the checksum and no longer flag a TD1?

I understand the flash counter will increase, but would this stop the ECU flagging up with TD1? Assuming, of course, the last time Audi updated the ECU it was the "A00 A5.1.6" software and therefore their system is looking for that version and checksum?

Sorry for the noob questions but I really don't want to have my car flagged as TD1 due to my own naivety.

Thank you for the comprehensive write up.

That clears that up then!

So whilst I have the attention of such a knowledgeable member such as yourself, could you please help with the following?

I bought my S3 private sale, and the owner (he was the 2nd owner) told me (when asked) that he had not had it remapped.

I suspect it has been, and want the remap removed.

Currently, my ECM is running Software "A00 A5.1.6" (found in the Advanced Information on VCDS).

I have spoke to Niki at R-Tech and he has said he can put it back to stock for me.

If I ask Niki to flash it with "A00 A5.1.6", will this restore the checksum and no longer flag a TD1?

I understand the flash counter will increase, but would this stop the ECU flagging up with TD1? Assuming, of course, the last time Audi updated the ECU it was the "A00 A5.1.6" software and therefore their system is looking for that version and checksum?

Sorry for the noob questions but I really don't want to have my car flagged as TD1 due to my own naivety.
If your vehicle has never been connected to the VW Group network while mapped, or not flagged as TD1 while mapped, then there is a good chance that flashing back to stock that your car will not flag as TD1. ODIS will be suspicious but will prolly not flag. If it's already TD1 then forget it, cannot be removed without an Engineers approval, and first a senior technical manager would need to sign-off on the request.

Forget checksums, forget flash counters etc. VW Group is way more clued up than this and what we give them credit for. The dealerships maybe stupid but the engineers know what they are doing and look for many different "parameters" and even physicals.

What car are we talking about here btw? If its the car in your avatar picture you have no warranty anyway as its an 8P.

Reactions: Vishal Tween
If your vehicle has never been connected to the VW Group network while mapped, or not flagged as TD1 while mapped, then there is a good chance that flashing back to stock that your car will not flag as TD1. ODIS will be suspicious but will prolly not flag. If it's already TD1 then forget it, cannot be removed without an Engineers approval, and first a senior technical manager would need to sign-off on the request.

Forget checksums, forget flash counters etc. VW Group is way more clued up than this and what we give them credit for. The dealerships maybe stupid but the engineers know what they are doing and look for many different "parameters" and even physicals.

What car are we talking about here btw? If its the car in your avatar picture you have no warranty anyway as its an 8P.

Thanks for the info.

I have visited my local Audi dealer for oil last month and was not told anything then, but I don't see cause for them to tell me if it is or isn't TD1 flagged, especially when just performing a basic oil change.

And it is an 8P but I have taken out Audi Extended Warranty as the car has FASH and <60k miles.

This is why I wish to ensure the car is stock.

Thanks for the info.

I have visited my local Audi dealer for oil last month and was not told anything then, but I don't see cause for them to tell me if it is or isn't TD1 flagged, especially when just performing a basic oil change.

And it is an 8P but I have taken out Audi Extended Warranty as the car has FASH and <60k miles.

This is why I wish to ensure the car is stock.
Cool cool, understandable. If your vehicle was flagged as TD1 Audi would not tell you. The only time you will find out is if you try to make a warranty claim, then its the first thing they will throw at you in order to get out of doing any works at their cost.

Does not matter what your vehicle is going in for these days your vehicle will be plugged in to the VW Group network and a diagnostic protocol completed. This is a mandatory step within a workshops procedures but it does serve a purpose even if it seems like this might not be related to your problem. Once a scan (VW Group call it a protocol) has been completed the tech will be able to search the network for anything related to your vehicle, from technical service notes to factory wiring diagrams. All of this information is displayed / hosted within the ODIS client window. If the works are to change a blown bulb in your dome light, the procedure can only be accessed through ODIS.

Reactions: ch1z64