Can you tell if the car is locked from the keyfob?

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
I seem to remember being told or reading somewhere that you can tell if your car is locked (and you are out of range of the car) by pressing the lock button and seeing how the LED flashes...

Anyone know? I have tried it but it doesn't seem to be any different between locked and unlocked, so it could be me making up memories again.

TIA

No mate you are right because Iv'e been wondering how this works too.

I saw this on the Audi Channel on sky when they were looking over the new S3 with Penny Mallory. The head Audi guy with her mentioned this on the key fob but unlike everything else he mentioned (how the windows go up and down with the switches!) failed to say how it works!

I didn't even have a light on my key. Do you mean the LED in the door of the car?

The latest keys have an led on the top which flashes when the button is pressed, this apparently shows the state of the car if you are out of range - ie 2 flashes then a gap then 2 flashes then a gap etc means the car is unlocked, a steady single flash means its locked...

So the new keys are tranceivers rather than transmitters then?

How would it know if it were sucessful or not unless it were to get a telemetry signal to tell it so?

You could press the key in your pocket.