Can't decide about my wheels

vfr800

Reaction score
Hi,

I like the standard OEM look but my S3's Avus wheels are a bit tatty and need a refurb and I'll also need some tyres soon.

If I'm going to refurb them I'll get it done properly so I'm not going to get much change from £300 (so it seems). Tyres will be costing somewhere near £400. So I'm into £700 already.

But ... they are heavy wheels on the S3, so I did a bit of searching and saw a few people mention the Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels are nice and light weight ...

Searching the t'Internet I found rimstyle.com have good wheel/tyre packages.
Pro Race 1.2 17 X 7.5" 5x100 = £845 (inc 4 Kumho KU39)

Then I thought, well how much are the 18's ...

TD Pro Race 1.2 18 x 8.0" 5x100 = £981 (inc 4 Kumho KU39)

Oh sh*t. So should I:
1) stick with the Avus
or get
2) Pro Race 17"
3) Pro race 18"
If I get the Pro Race should it be 17" or 18"?

If I get the Pro Race exactly what offset is required - bearing in mind at some point I may want to do the LCR or Porker Brembo brake upgrade?

or

4) Put up with tatty alloys and spend the money on my bike instead :slap:

Help? Please? :shrug:

Liam

Last edited:
well mate i would suggest 17" x 8 if available, i got OZ racing ultralegerra's they are also light weight, bare in mind lighter wheels = happier suspension 18" will be slightly heavier and well rubber will cost much more.. don't know about you but rubber in OZ is around 700pounds along for P Zero's...

so id go with the 17's personally but its entirely up to you Liam

Maybe do a pic request for s3 running on 17's. tbh im having this exact issue. Simply cant decide what i want. Visually 18s are miles better but on the road and costs 17s are. God knows what to do.

Where are you based mate there's a good place called city powder coaters in Birmingham that do it for £20 plus messing around with taking tyres off

Agree with Sevy.
I've had experience with both sizes and tbh I'm much much happier with the 17s on. I agree the car looks great with the extra inch filling the arches, but IMHO it's a case of form over function, as the ride quality suffers and so does the wallet. Another thing worth baring in mind is the S3 Ronals are more kerb friendly than 99% of alloys out there, but if you fancy a change at least stick with "17 wheels.

To give you an idea, here is my old S3 with 18"x8" TD pro race 1.2's on it......

017.jpg

I also had spacers on it, I think I had 12mm on the front and 20mm on the rear iirc.

By the way, I think they were a 35mm offset as well.

You wouldn't have to worry about adding extra weight if you did go for the 18" because pro races are very light wheels, and are probably only a smidge heavier than your OE 17's.

Id put money on 18 inch pro race veing lighter than the s3 wheels.
I think when i weighed my s3 wheels they were about 21kg with tyres.
I've been from 17 to 18, and now i want to go back. But, az's old car looks simply awesome on 18.
So imo, if you are an enthusiastic driver and are tempted by trackdays etc, go 17, if not, and value looks more, go 18.
Btw 18 arent bad at all on these cars, there is just obvious cost, weight and grip differences, as with any car.

Thanks Chaps.

So apart from bling and an emptier wallet when buying tyres there isn't a real reason to go for 18. Looks like 17s it is then :)

Yeah I thought the Avus wheels are super heavy 20 kg odd seems right. - no way will the 18" Pro Race alloys be any where near that heavy.

It's a shame there's no weight listed for the Imola or Monza R from TD. I like the look of them - but I want to go for light weight wheels and the price seems to be right on the Pro Race.

Exciting times ... I vowed never to waste money on cars ever again ... only motorbikes ... ooooooooooooops.

Liam

Thanks Chaps.

So apart from bling and an emptier wallet when buying tyres there isn't a real reason to go for 18. Looks like 17s it is then :)

Yeah I thought the Avus wheels are super heavy 20 kg odd seems right. - no way will the 18" Pro Race alloys be any where near that heavy.

It's a shame there's no weight listed for the Imola or Monza R from TD. I like the look of them - but I want to go for light weight wheels and the price seems to be right on the Pro Race.

Exciting times ... I vowed never to waste money on cars ever again ... only motorbikes ... ooooooooooooops.

Liam

Oh boy havent we all said that when our pockets go completely dry lol... i know i did like a few days ago but its hard for enthusiasts to back down, it is an addiction mate.

glad your going for the 17"'s mate Good choice =]

Where are you based mate there's a good place called city powder coaters in Birmingham that do it for £20 plus messing around with taking tyres off

I've used Bournes powder coaters in Birmingham, had to get the tyres off but they charged £70 to do two wheels, dipped, blasted and repainted - did a terrific job considering that the wheels were wrecked and losing pressure. :beerchug: