cant decide on next car! audi a5 2.7tdi vs audi tt 3.2

BIGA3T

Reaction score
so i have sold my a3 and now have two cars to choose from

audi tt 2007 3.2 fully loaded - heated seats, sat nav, 19" alloys, leather, xenons, cruise, paddle shift, automatic

audi a5 2.7 2008 tdi - sat nav, xenons, sport leather heated seats, multifunction steering wheel, paddle shift, auto, 19" alloys,

did a test drive in both, but the a5 felt quicker? i dont know i think it might just be the torque.

a5 is comfortable but tt is better handling, i dont really care about economy tbh

and before everyone says 3.0tdi quattro. the insurance is too much (im 20), i dont know how im able to get decent insurance on tt.

they both are great looking cars and great to drive but i just cant decide, also tt 3.2 is in the lower tax bracket £280 a year.

so just asking for everyones thoughts which one would you choose and why? thanks!

What type of driving/mileage would you do.

Theyre also very different cars in terms of practicality so it depends on what you need.

Reactions: Raiden
The 2.7tdi only has about 190bhp i think? lots of torque as you know. Personally I'd go for the TT. Have you considered the 2.0 turbo A5? you can tune that to the same if not more than the TT.

The TT has a more accessible boot as it's a hatch, it's faster, sounds better, more exciting to drive and look at.

The A5 will look like every other A5, which is certainly not a bad thing, but you'll blend in with the rest of them and it'll be "just an A5" whereas the TT with be the top of the range 3.2 and it'll be more special.

It's down to how they make you feel more than anything.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to believe the 3.2 is lower tax than the diesel?

Anyway I'd go for the TT until you can insure the 3.0tdi A5, because the 2.7 engine is rubbish. Better off going for a 2.0tdi 170 and remapping it :)

Not a fan of the TT's body, Would go A5 all the way. So long as it's two door!

Reactions: BIGA3T
At 20 has to be the TT unless you are doing lots of mileage or have loads of mates to cart around or do some hobby that requires you to carry stuff - like you play the cello for instance ...

As your just 20, go for the TT, you won't be able to buy such a car when your married and babies/mortgage etc.

If you don't need all the room and mpg isn't an issue then I suppose it would have to be the TT.
The 2.7 TDI has the multichronic gearbox and for that reason alone I wouldn't bother with it.
Really surprised about the insurance difference according to Parkers an A5 2.7 TDI is group 28 , A 3.0 TDI is 33 and a 3.2 TT around 35-36 .
I would try some different insurers.

got the a5 and put upgraded turbo and straight pipes, awesome car

I find it difficult to believe the 3.2 is lower tax than the diesel?

Anyway I'd go for the TT until you can insure the 3.0tdi A5, because the 2.7 engine is rubbish. Better off going for a 2.0tdi 170 and remapping it :)

got the a5 upgraded the turbo and its remapped to 310bhp and pulls away from my older brothers s5 v8 , and absolutely thrashes my mates 2.0tdi 170 remapped to 220, all over the place

got the a5 upgraded the turbo and its remapped to 310bhp and pulls away from my older brothers s5 v8 , and absolutely thrashes my mates 2.0tdi 170 remapped to 220, all over the place

If you went to all that trouble why not go for the 3.0tdi and use that or even map it? Your friend obviously isn't as good a driver as you are...

A5 all day.

The TT for me is just a bit....dare I say it.......girly.

Really?

B06FD467-7FCC-4031-AB24-4732E8D584A8.png.jpeg

Reactions: DJ_26, downtothebone and B5 BIKER
Yup.

From the front it looks much like all Audi's, it isn't the front that's the problem.

I'm sure loads don't like the A3 but that's ok, we can't all like the same things.

You need to narrow down your model choice somewhat. A3's are poles apart from A5 and A4 in weight & size. Come to think of it even an A3 or S3 Quattro are heavy compared to you old Vauxhall.

back isnt girly either IMO...

FE1C33B5-22B0-4429-B6C6-D8FC269A467D.jpg

I know which one all the girlies would rather hang out in if I was 20 - if that's your thing of course ...

TT all the way, I love the things, any roadster style car can be classed as a girls car, if I had one it would look or sound like a girls car when I was finished haha!

I would also 100% get a hard top though

It's got a curvy ****, so must be girly.
haha I think the soft top can make it look a bit girly. For example an A5 coupe looks more macho than the a5 convertible. But this argument doesn't hold true all the time. The TT is a bit svelte whether in coupe or convertible form, so it could be seen as a girly car in either form. I am a man and I still like them. Perhaps it's the spec/mods that can make the car look more of a girl or boys car.

Reactions: Cambaines
It's definitely something I'm looking at next too, I just want that v6! Weirdly enough the Dsg is £200 cheaper than the manual on tax? Does anyone know why this is?

I've just test drove a 2.0 tfsi Dsg TT, proper nice car to drive, the power is there immediately and the Dsg is great, power is there much faster than my a3 Quattro too, felt much faster, probably down to weight, understeers easily, and the two seats on the back are pointless unless you have kids

Am I the only one who is confused as to why this thread is in the A3 section?

Just get a S3

Reactions: audismart and Cambaines