Can't unlock PIN for a Retrofit RNS-E on a 8P

colega

Reaction score
Hi, everybody,

I've recently bought an 8P with a RNS-E retrofitted, everything worked perfectly until I decided to upgrade it.

After upgrading, it started to ask me the PIN, I had one written on a card, but the serial number didn't match the one showing on the screen, so it was not valid. Then I tried to buy a PIN online, providing the serial number I see on the screen, and it didn't work either. You can see a video here:

I tried to buy it from two different sellers who gave me the same number (eBay seller returned me the money, but onlineradiocodes - co - uk refuses to return me the money or help me any way. I don't recommend you dealing with those people)

I took my car to an Audi store, but they said that as my radio is retrofitted they can't do anything, they charged me half an hour of manwork to say that their can-bus can't connect to the RNS-E. I'm pretty sure that my RNS-E is connected to the CAN-BUS because I can see the current street number showing on my dashboard screen (FIS?).

So today I tried to take away the radio and see if it has a different serial number printed on it, but... I can't even see any number printed on it, I've uploaded some photos of it here:

Any help will be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Reactions: xPapashi
The imgur gallery above doesn't seem to work, so, this is the main label of my unit:
dEPrVcV.jpg

Hi, everybody,

I've recently bought an 8P with a RNS-E retrofitted, everything worked perfectly until I decided to upgrade it.

After upgrading, it started to ask me the PIN, I had one written on a card, but the serial number didn't match the one showing on the screen, so it was not valid. Then I tried to buy a PIN online, providing the serial number I see on the screen, and it didn't work either. You can see a video here:

I tried to buy it from two different sellers who gave me the same number (eBay seller returned me the money, but onlineradiocodes - co - uk refuses to return me the money or help me any way. I don't recommend you dealing with those people)

I took my car to an Audi store, but they said that as my radio is retrofitted they can't do anything, they charged me half an hour of manwork to say that their can-bus can't connect to the RNS-E. I'm pretty sure that my RNS-E is connected to the CAN-BUS because I can see the current street number showing on my dashboard screen (FIS?).

So today I tried to take away the radio and see if it has a different serial number printed on it, but... I can't even see any number printed on it, I've uploaded some photos of it here:

Thanks!

Can’t help you with RNS-E but if any Ebay seller refuses to own up, just raise a dispute, at least to get your money back!

Thanks, @maxpayne , the eBay seller returned me the money without raising a dispute, and I finally managed to get my money back from the web page where I bought the second PIN, but I'd prefer them to help me unlock my radio :(
I can't understand why I can't find the serial number printed on my unit, but it seems to be related to that FWSLB22242 number (it ends with the same digits)

OP i can't understand what you mean by upgrading your rnse cause the 1 in your picture is excatly the same as the 1 i have in my car ( which originally came from an A4 and has the new software version installed updated by a member on here ) and i had a pin code which i got from the person i bought the RNS-E from , now i noticed you said in your 1st post that you got a pin code as well to start with so again i am confused as you would never have been able to do anything with your head unit once fitted if you didn't have the code to activate it , cause once activate you would go into your Vcd's and code to car . Now if you have updated the software to the newer version again you should still have been able to use the 4 digit pin you got ( only if the pin worked to start with ).

Reactions: voorhees
@ch1z64 sorry, when I said "upgrade" I meant a software updating using a newer DVD.

I didn't change the RNS-E unit, it was intalled long ago in the car by previous owner, and the unit was bought new from factory so it didn't ask for "previous owner pin" for him never (as he never updated the software, it still had the 2011 maps).

I'm not sure what you mean with "activate it", AFAIK the factory-new units don't require a PIN to start for the first time. Even more, I have an official AUDI card with a PIN on it, but... it has a typo in the serial number (there's one character missing). I can attach a photo later.

This weekend I tried to connect to the unit using VCDS and it correctly responds to everything, but of course there's no way to unlock it from there (or I didn't find it). It's also strange that it doesn't show its serial number in "Advanced ID" section like everybody says (but it does show its serial number in other sections inspecting with VCDS).

Anyway, I tried to ask on justanswer.com, if I still get no answer through there, I noticed that the 60 minutes timeout is reset every time the unit loses the power, so if there's no luck obtaining the code in a normal way I'll have to manually try all the codes (I'll start with 1000-1999 as I read somewhere that VAG codes can be in that interval, and if no luck I'll have to try with 0000-9999, that would be around 20h trying according to my estimations, probably I'll have to record a video for youtube :D)

The model off Rns-e you had showing was excatly the same as mine , i had to use a 4 digit code so car recognized it as my car orginally came with a symphony 2.
So if the Rns-e was an extra ( fitted already to car ) you would still get a code incase your battery drained and you had to switch rnse back on ( as i have heard if it is out off car to long it needs code so you can use all fubctions again )
The maps update disc shouldn't change anything as i was running 2011 maps on the software which was the 1 below ( 620 / 650 ) not sure if thats the exact sw update .
You might want to send a PM to @NHN explaing your issue and he maybe able to help you

Hi there!
Does anyone have any more answers by any chance? I'm desperate here!
I've Just tried to upgrade sat nav cd on Audi Navigation System Plus RNS-E 2010 on a car I bought Thursday (A3 Sportback 2009) It's been working perfectly well and have been using the cd already installed without any issues. Bought an upgraded version. Put it in and it updated software, then asked for a pin code.. found it on a card with manual in the car, so I input the number but it says incorrect code and just takes me to a safe mode. Then I have to wait an hour to try again. Been trying ALL day.. Called Audi and they say they can't help because sat nav shouldn't even work in my car as it apparently wasn't manufactured with it pre installed and they have no record?? Well, it was working perfectly well until I tried to upgrade the map. I'm at a complete loss. I even tried another code I 'bought' and that doesn't work either.
So upset. Can't even take the cd out as the screen doesn't even pop up to gain access. I'm stumped . Any help VERY much appreciated! Thanks

Please, is anyone around who is able to help me by any chance?? I've only had the car 4 days

Please, is anyone around who is able to help me by any chance?? I've only had the car 4 days
It is possible that the RNS-E was supplied with a hacked pin code. with the RNS-E mk2 you cannot change the DVD drive as it affects the pin, you could in the MK1 units.

So what I found a long time ago was that if I upgraded the RNS-E on a hacked unit the pin no longer worked, the hack only worked on a certain version of RNS-E firmware, so unless you can downgrade it and re-apply the hack then your screwed.

Just my 2 cents worth on this when it happened to me with a unit I bought from a supplier in Leicester.

It is possible that the RNS-E was supplied with a hacked pin code. with the RNS-E mk2 you cannot change the DVD drive as it affects the pin, you could in the MK1 units.

So what I found a long time ago was that if I upgraded the RNS-E on a hacked unit the pin no longer worked, the hack only worked on a certain version of RNS-E firmware, so unless you can downgrade it and re-apply the hack then your screwed.

Just my 2 cents worth on this when it happened to me with a unit I bought from a supplier in Leicester.
Thank you so much for your reply! I believe you are correct.... Also, I discovered today that apparently my RNS-E 2010 unit could not cope with the amount of new information the new updated disc was trying to give it, therefore totally disabling the pin code etc I think. It was downgraded and I can only continue to use the 2007 map. No updates for me otherwise the same thing will happen again!! I'm ok with it cause at least it works and I have music back!

Hi, everybody,

Thanks!

Try using the last 4 digits of ur serial number as a pin and see if it works.