Car cover - advice sought

Gill ZB

Reaction score
I know I've asked about this before and they weren't recommended but I really need a cover to protect my TT from bird poo (I like birds and feed them lol!) and if I'm having to leave him home alone I don't want him being eyed up ! I've seen a Sakura cover in Argos that has great reviews - but it's £30 - saw lots on Amazon and eBay - can I get a cheapo one that will do the same job? Or am I best buying a decent one?so just some advice please :relaxed: ...v grateful :redrs4:

Car covers can scratch a car. If you must have one, I would suggest the best thing to do would be to get a cover that is specifically for TT's and not a generic one.

Car covers can scratch a car. If you must have one, I would suggest the best thing to do would be to get a cover that is specifically for TT's and not a generic one.
Thanks - looking for one niw

Hopefully somebody with abit more knowledge can comment. I suppose it would depend on the materials in the cover. There are better ways to protect your paintwork.

@Bristle Hound can you advise on some potential solutions? Possibly some sealants?

Reactions: Gill ZB
Hopefully somebody with abit more knowledge can comment. I suppose it would depend on the materials in the cover. There are better ways to protect your paintwork.

@Bristle Hound can you advise on some potential solutions? Possibly some sealants?
Thanks- I really think I need a cover of some sort - this morning my feathered friends have popped on my perfectly polished paintwork!!!

I personally wouldnt have a cover, heard too many bad stories about them scratching the car and keeping moisture in.

Is there anyone with any positives to car covers? Mine would only be on overnight - so not much time for moisture ...and I can't fit him in the garage so I'm worrying about winter ..

Is it as bad as this
http://www.bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/imagesbird-droppings-on-car.jpg
http://www.bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/imagesbird-droppings-on-car.jpg

£30 is cheap, cheap for a car cover and I wouldn't risk it. It's the wind that moves the car cover over the paintwork and scratches it. One that fits like a glove would be better for protection but they can be £3 or £4 hundred.
Birdie poo can easily be wiped off with lots of water and a soft cloth, just do it daily and the lime won't have time to eat through the lacquer.

Last edited:
Is it as bad as this

£30 is cheap, cheap for a car cover and I wouldn't risk it. It's the wind that moves the car cover over the paintwork and scratches it. One that fits like a glove would be better for protection but they can be £3 or £4 hundred.
Birdie poo can easily be wiped off with lots of water and a soft cloth, just do it daily and the lime won't have time to eat through the lacquer.
Wow!!!! Whoever owns that car has seriously upset some very large gulls with an eye for a target !!! No my beaks don't poo that much - and now I've stopped putting grub on the garage roof for them and just on the bird house it should be ok ....frustrating having a garage that's not big enough though !! Wow that car would need a respray after all that poo bombing :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:!!

Get a sealant or wax on your car. That will act as a sacrificial layer and help protect your paint. Something like gtechniq or gyeon

imagesbird-droppings-on-car.jpg

Wow!!!! Whoever owns that car has seriously upset some very large gulls with an eye for a target !!! No my beaks don't poo that much - and now I've stopped putting grub on the garage roof for them and just on the bird house it should be ok ....frustrating having a garage that's not big enough though !! Wow that car would need a respray after all that poo bombing :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:!!

Car under a tree so lots of birds roosting and pooping .

Thanks - is there a special build up remover or shampoo that will remove any layers of previous polish? T-cut? There's also loads of little chips and scratches to the paintwork that I can see close up when im washing - never noticed these when buying him - guess as an 09 have to expect some wear and tear?.

Black will show everything , great when clean and polished . My first car was black , 25 years ago , I've never had one since .

imagesbird-droppings-on-car.jpg

Car under a tree so lots of birds roosting and pooping .
It's obviously a main roost for a lot of large birds !!! I'd say pterodactyls !!! Haha!! That certainly ain't from a few Spuggies!!

Black will show everything , great when clean and polished . My first car was black , 25 years ago , I've never had one since .
Yeah - looks amazing when clean - but shows dust worse than anything. My first car -28 years ago was a blue Nissan sunny estate! I got it the day Ipassed my test for a couple of hundred quid - and my first trip from Sunderland back to uni in Ripon - the core plug went !! That was the first of many mechanical failures and I had my money's worth out of the AA! Had it for a couple of months then got my beloved Cortina - that was red and silver ...that showed the poop too lol!!!