Car delivered with wrong spec...

Andy_S

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this isn't strictly an A3/S3 question, but there's more people here that will be able to help. And I do still have my S3 (unfortunately)....

I was supposed to be picking up my new S4 today, and it's awesome, except that it's been delivered with the standard seats instead of the 'Super Sport' seats.:( They are the equivilent to the buckets in an S3, and I've never seen an S4 without them.

Audi dealer are talking about a new factory order, because this car has a very high, very individual spec....
This isn't the dealers fault, they have ordered everything correctly.

Question is what would you do? Can the seats be retrofitted easily?

Haggling a discount and keeping the seats isn't an option as they spoil the car IMO!

Thanks, Andy.

Firstly, you must be gutted and I'm sorry to hear this. I know I would be if I was to drive to the dealers in excitement of picking up a new car and to find the spec wrong, painful! When I picked mine up the salesman couldn't find the tyre pressure monitor so I was starting to second guess myself and it was awful. I know it's only small compared to your seats but I was never going to drive away from the dealers without it, I spec'd it for a reason, I wanted it, there for if it wasn't fitted I would have been disappointed.

If I was you I would haggle your way to a discount and some freebies!

Cant they just order them and retrofit them for you? I assume its just the fronts that are different or are they specced different too, ie lumbar, electric, heated etc?

my brothers be a3 was delivered in brilliant black not mettalic the other day, also an Audi mistake apperently, he ended up haveing the car but got a good discount.....

Hi,

I'm kind of hoping that they can order the correct seats and retrofit them, but they are heated, electric, and memory seats, so not an easy task I wouldn't imagine.

The other option if they can't that is to give me the car as it is while a new one ordered from the factory. Seems extreme just for seats I know, but an S4 with 'normal' seats just isn't right!!

They are going to speak to Audi UK on Monday, so until then I'm left in limbo.

I just want my car now!:( It's all taxed and registered with my private plate on, so the Audi dealer are as pi**ed off as I am!

dont feel sorry for them. make them order a new one so that next time they deliver the correct spec to customers

Tell the dealer to get it sorted and WHY THE **** did the dealer accept the car! The dealer and Audi are two different companies so your dealer might have trouble sending it back. Thus this is why they will try talk you into keeping the car and throwing in a discount (watch they don't just subtract the seat upgrade price) but the 2nd hand value of a S4 with A4 seats is going to be lower Vs the seats you ordered.

Personally I would take either your money back and tell them you are going to a dealer that pays attention to detail
OR
Take a f-ing LARGE discount equivalent to VAT and the price of the seats AKA 25% and sell the car on. Remember unless the dealer can get Audi to take the car back the dealer is stuck with an odd spec S4.

Tell the dealer to get it sorted and WHY THE **** did the dealer accept the car! The dealer and Audi are two different companies so your dealer might have trouble sending it back. Thus this is why they will try talk you into keeping the car and throwing in a discount (watch they don't just subtract the seat upgrade price) but the 2nd hand value of a S4 with A4 seats is going to be lower Vs the seats you ordered.

Personally I would take either your money back and tell them you are going to a dealer that pays attention to detail
OR
Take a f-ing LARGE discount equivalent to VAT and the price of the seats AKA 25% and sell the car on. Remember unless the dealer can get Audi to take the car back the dealer is stuck with an odd spec S4.

He said it wasnt the dealers fault mate, factory made it wrong. I see your from west london so probably tainted by their infamous delaership there! lol

He said it wasnt the dealers fault mate, factory made it wrong. I see your from west london so probably tainted by their infamous delaership there! lol

If they ordered the car right. They would have checked the car when it was delivered. Called the OP & explained. Instead they put on his plate and prepped the car. There fault. With every delivery there is a delivery note.

They just know they have cocked up. Audi uk will prob do f all! A case of You signed, your problem. I just say I want my car, that I ordered & I want it asap without any incurring costs. Obv the depreciation on your s3(If you keep it) or the wrong s4(if you get that) my 2p

IIRC someone at my local dealership ordered a 3dr A3 and a 5 door arrived instead. The dealers ordered a new car and let the customer keep the "wrong" car until the right one turned up.

If you are offered this option at least you have the pleasure of driving around in the car you want (albeit without the seats) and have the added bonus of looking forward to another new car to your spec in the future.

Thank you for all the replies.

The dealer showed me their order for it this morning and the seats are ordered correct. Does make me wonder how they 'didn't notice' the seats before they registered it etc. The car only came in to the dealership yesterday, but it's been at their pdi centre for a week.

I'm hoping they can just order the correct seats and bolt/plug them in, but I doubt it. Even if they can Audi spanner monkeys and my new car doesn't appeal much!

If not, I think I'm going to push to keep the current car while they order the correct one. Will cost someone alot of £, but it's not my f*** up!

The problem with ordering a new one is that it will be a 6 month wait due to the model year change over.

I just want my car now!:( It's all taxed and registered with my private plate on, so the Audi dealer are as pi**ed off as I am!

Well if they ordered it with the correct seats and it was an Audi mistake then they should have checked the spec was right the moment they received it, not registered, taxed and put your plate on only for you to tell them it was wrong. Don't have much sympathy with the dealer here I'm afraid.

I'd accept no less than a factory-quality retrofit of the correct seats or a whole new factory order. Either way I'd expect the dealer to provide me with a roughly equivalent courtesy car until such time as they can supply the vehicle for which you've paid.

Exaxctly the same happened to me with my S4 order, I think you will find its the dealers fault. ZM is the standard trim code for the car, but there are 4 tick boxes after ZM on there computer screen they must select the one for super sports seats if this is not done you get standard trim.

The new car sales manager at the dealership addmitted that he had not ticked the correct box and he was at fault.
I simply rejected the car and got them to place a new order,i also told them that I would keep my S3 for the duration, stuff the courtesy car.

I made a big issue of it and got a few free gifts, like GAP insurance and free boot liner.

Thanks Trev,

That would make alot of sense. They think Audi UK have done it wrong, I imagine there will be a red faced sales manager on Monday morning when they phone to complain.

I'm seriously hoping I don't have to wait for another one though!

I would look to get a complete new order as if the dealer can't notice the wrong seats when PDi'ing the car then I wouldn't trust their ability to retrofit the correct seats with all the additional wiring.

Just my 2p's worth....(but then I am still bitter over Audi not willing to help with my cracked rear spring, when the car is only 2 months out of warranty)

Thanks Trev,

That would make alot of sense. They think Audi UK have done it wrong, I imagine there will be a red faced sales manager on Monday morning when they phone to complain.

I'm seriously hoping I don't have to wait for another one though!
I spoke to one of the master tech's who I have known for many years and his advice was "do not let them order new seats as fitting is not as easy as some think" also what happens if they damage anything during the change or scratch paintwork.

I would order a new car, yes it's a long wait but at the kind of money we are talking about you want to be perfectly happy with your purchase.

Any way that's my view having been at the sharp end, choice is yours.

By the way I see you are based in the north east same as me, could the same sales manager have struck twice ?

The solution must be: they order a new car and expedite the delivery; you use the incorrectly delivered car in the meantime for the inconvenience, they loan you a car for the duration or you keep your existing S3 without any impact on the residual value. They are at fault here, not you. They need to resolve the matter to YOUR satisfaction. Do NOT let them retro-fit the seats.

I agree, its a new car please and ....It doesn't take 6 months to make one.....maybe a day at most so rather than being shoved to the back of the queue i would push for priority via Audi UK. you are spending a lot of money so you call the shots.

The solution must be: they order a new car and expedite the delivery; you use the incorrectly delivered car in the meantime for the inconvenience, they loan you a car for the duration or you keep your existing S3 without any impact on the residual value. They are at fault here, not you. They need to resolve the matter to YOUR satisfaction. Do NOT let them retro-fit the seats.

Do this.

Also threaten to walk away from the deal if you have to, and give the money to another dealer. If it really takes 6 month from the factory then its the same for all dealers.

Which dealer is it?
Be interesting to know how they behave as Ive been talking to Tyneside AUDI (Silverlink) just recently about a new A4.

(Cant even get BMW dealers to return my calls!!! 4 different dealers, cash purchase, no p/x and they would appear to be too busy to sell me a car! Tossers. )

Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers

Paul

This is Teesside Audi who, to be fair, have been really good up until this.

I've been over again today just to drool over the car and p*ss myself off even more, because seats aside it is awesome!

There is nothing than can be done until tomorrow when they can speak to Audi UK. But I'm not going to get fobbed off with keeping my car, or some dull courtesy car.

I'll wait to see what they have to say in the morning...

On the subject of BMW, I went in to Peston Hall at Stockton to look at a 3 series before I ordered the S4. The place was deserted while Audi was busy, and I walked out after 5 minutes of being patronised by a sales assistant who knew FA about cars, put the brochure in the bin and went straight beck round to Audi.

I hope you get it sorted mate how stressful would that be after waiting so long ..Email Audiuk if they mess you around ..

A friend of mine bought a factory order Range Rover Sport a couple of years back and that turned up without the winter pack (heated seats etc). They offered him the car and only a refund for the winter pack. He refused and so they ordered him a new car, took his part exchange and let him have the wrong spec car whilst he was waiting for the new one. Three months later he got the new one which had some revised/better spec and gave them theirs back with over 5k on the clock! Just goes to show they can sort in in your favour if they really want too.

Hi all,

I know alot of you will say I'm mad, but I'm now the proud owner of a new S4, with the wrong seats.

Basically they looked in to swapping the seats, but it was gonna cost £5k to do, and was unviable. So they offered to order a new car, and loan me their new 3.0 A5 Sportback for the duration, hardly a bad offer! But I couldn't deal with another 4-6 months wait, even if it was in a new A5.

I pushed for large discounts, but they said they couldn't do it and they'd rather just order another car. So in the end I have a pile of goodies, a spa day for the Mrs, free services etc etc...

Life's too short for worrying about ****** seats!

S4.jpg

Last edited:
Looked at your thread last night and to be honest thought you would have have gone for a new order....I know I would. But its your car and as long as your happy with it that's all that matters. Im sure the standard seats aren't that bad anyway and It looks a really nice car fella. Enjoy!

Got to agree, I would have taken the A5 and waited on the new order. But so long as your happy, then no problems. Looks good.

I pushed for large discounts, but they said they couldn't do it and they'd rather just order another car. So in the end I have a pile of goodies, a spar day for the Mrs,

LMAO!!!!

I would have thought Spar was a bit down market for a day out... Harrods or John Lewis would be more appropriate surely!!

You know what I mean dammit!:sm4:

The A5 was a fair offer by them, I could have had fun trying to kill that for a few months! But I just couldn't be doing with another wait for the right car.

The standard seats are not exactly crap, and they do still have all the electric/memory adjustment etc.