Car delivered with wrong spec...

Andy_S

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was supposed to be picking up my new S4 today, and it's awesome, except that it's been delivered with the standard seats instead of the 'Super Sport' seats.:(

Audi dealer are talking about a new factory order, because this car has a very high, very individual spec....
This isn't the dealers fault, they have ordered everything correctly.

Question is what would you do? Can the seats be retrofitted easily?

Haggling a discount and keeping the seats isn't an option as they spoil the car IMO!

Thanks, Andy.

ps. mods, sorry for the double post in the A3 forum...

oh no, you must be so gutted, how long did you wait for delivery???? how long do they say it will take to re-order your car with the correct spec???

i would refuse the car they have just delivered and get them to re-order the correct car you ordered. try and get them to loan you a car in the meantime, maybe they wont give you an s4, but i would push for something decent. tell them you have no means of transport as you have sold your old car, unless you traded it in as part of the deal. the minimum you should be getting is a further discount i reckon

If it is a factory cockup then I would expect them to make the seats available for retrofit if it's possible. Maybe they'd even take the car to Milton Keynes to do the work.

I'd expect something as simple as seats to be supplied and fitted by the dealer. It's a simple solution and easil resolved.

When they missed my quattro then that was a little more complicated!

My situation was a little different as mine was a dealer mistake. I was kept in the originally delivered car until my newly built one was ready.

If it's a factory issue then there's no doubt they'd resolve the problem or keep you mobile whilst waiting for the new car.

Did you sign for and accept the car or did you lodge an issue there and then?

Don't forget that not only do you want the issue resolved but you're also looking for some compensation for the inconvenience and also because they've ruined the whole "new car experience".

Good luck.... but I think it'll be easily resolved ;)

Thanksfor the replies,

I post on the A3 forum as well, and it would seem that it's a dealer ordering mistake and they either don't realise or are trying to pass the buck.

I went to see the car last night to get some photos after it came off the transporter, I was due to be picking it up this afternoon. But looking at the photos last night I noticed the seats, and went straight down this morning to confirm my worst fears!

They have the car all cleaned, taxed, and with my plate on it all ready to go...with the wrong seats.

I'm hoping it's a simple retrofit, but if they can't or don't want to do that I'm going to insist on keeping the current car until they manage to order the correct one.

I've had a feeling all week that something was going to go wrong!:(

Oh no Andy, you said the other week you had a bad feeling something would go wrong!

It should be a simple retrofit mate, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be.

I went to check out my car when it was delivered. I pointed out that the drivers seat side bolster was unacceptably creased considering it was brand new. The dealer ordered a new seat and it was all sorted a week later when I came to collect. Dealer was excellent in sorting it out with no questions or pestering from me. I also went for the super sport seats.

I would accept the car on the condition that the seats are swapped once they have arrived. Enjoy!

I must admit my first thought was dealer **** up.

Car options are ordered using a PR Code or in this case a Trim Code. When you look in the brochure the Super Sport seats are ZM/SC or SP/SQ for the Leather Alcantara ones. The person ordering the car has probably left it off. I notice that if you add those seats you must also have through load, did they get that right?

If it's only seats then as long as there aren't airbag issues it should be ok. Make sure you get some supporting paperwork otherwise they will make the car look like it isn't factory specification and might cause warranty issues.

That's the thing, they showed me the order on the system today, and it has ZM/SC that's why they say it's not their fault. But Trev on the other forum said that there is another box they should have ticked to get the super sport seats.

The through load is present and correct.

I would accept the car on the condition that the seats are swapped once they have arrived.

They haven't officially give me that option yet. This morning they just said to wait until Monday when they can speak to Audi UK. But I think a visit to the dealer for some straight talking is in order for tomorrow!

Andy_S said:
But Trev on the other forum said that there is another box they should have ticked to get the super sport seats.

The through load is present and correct.

My seats were just listed on the form along with all the other options, no separate boxes ticked for me. It sounds like they have either not entered that info properly on the system, or audi have not built the car to spec. Either way it's someone else's problem, the spec does not match the signed order.

If they are making you wait until Monday for confirmation then I would accept the car on the condition that they retrofit the correct seats, or they let you keep the car until a replacement is built, which could be 6 months from now!!

Hi all,

As posted over on the A3 forum as well...

I know alot of you will say I'm mad, but I'm now the proud owner of a new S4, with the wrong seats.

Basically they looked in to swapping the seats, but it was gonna cost £5k to do, and was unviable. So they offered to order a new car, and loan me their new 3.0 A5 Sportback for the duration, hardly a bad offer! But I couldn't deal with another 4-6 months wait, even if it was in a new A5.

I pushed for large discounts, but they said they couldn't do it and they'd rather just order another car. So in the end I have a pile of goodies, a spa day for the Mrs, free services etc etc...

Life's too short for worrying about ****** seats!

S4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking car dude, cannot help but think you made the wrong choice however.

Whats the full spec? Have fun :)

Hi all,

As posted over on the A3 forum as well...

I know alot of you will say I'm mad, but I'm now the proud owner of a new S4, with the wrong seats.

Basically they looked in to swapping the seats, but it was gonna cost £5k to do, and was unviable. So they offered to order a new car, and loan me their new 3.0 A5 Sportback for the duration, hardly a bad offer! But I couldn't deal with another 4-6 months wait, even if it was in a new A5.

I pushed for large discounts, but they said they couldn't do it and they'd rather just order another car. So in the end I have a pile of goodies, a spa day for the Mrs, free services etc etc...

Life's too short for worrying about ****** seats!

S4.jpg
I would still like to know who was at fault, I would not have taken the car myself as the super sport seats are light years ahead of to standard offering in my view.

Yea I think they have got off lightly and you have a car you're not completely happy with. OK they have given you some freebies, but id question if you are actually any better off when you consider the cost of the option you have paid for but havent received, the lower residual value when it comes to selling, not to mention you wont be 100% happy with the car during your ownership.

"I pushed for large discounts, but they said they couldn't do it and they'd rather just order another car" - Tough i'm afraid, you'd rather have a car with the options you paid for, incredible attitude from the dealer.

I guess he has had the money back for the seats they didnt supply, so freebe wise he will be up.

I keep thinking that by the time you had used their car for a few months waiting for the replacement you probably would have been looking at the new car being on a 61 plate........

Andy

It was always gona be a tuff choice!
If the super sports seat are anything like the RS4 sport seats then I hear they’re not very comfy on long runs!
(I know that probably doesn’t help)

I think the picture looks great – don’t know why Quartz with those wheels is more common.
I will hopefully be looking at a similar spec’d S4 avant soon – is yours man or auto? Quiet fancy the S-tronic!
Look forward to more pics and full spec?

Cheers

Keef

It was a very tough call to make. Their offer of the A5 until a new car was ordered was very fair, but I simply didn't want to wait.

I'd taken my dad down with me for a second opinion, and he couldn't believe I was even considering rejecting it. Neither can anyone else who's seen it today. I guess us Audi geeks are too picky! "They are just ****** seats!"

It was the sales managers **** up on the order. Me and the sales guy had been over the spec soo many times to make sure it was right, just for his gaffer to not tick the right box. We were both p*ssed off with him! He put his hands up to the mistake, an was very sorry about it. I wasn't going to achieve anything my ranting and raving at him.

They refunded the cost of the seats, and the through load, so I basically paid £800 less deposit on the finance. To be honest I probably did let them off lightly, there was certainly some relieved faces.
But for the record, apart from the obvious, I can't fault Teesside Audi, they've always been helpful through the whole ordering process. Even after I initially rejected the car, they completey understood and have never been awkward about it.

I'm putting it behind me and moving on, life's too short, and the car is awesome!

As requested the full spec is:

Quartz Grey
S-Tronic
Leather/Alcantara (wrong) Seats
Heated front seats (Should be standard like the S3!)
Through load on rear seat
TPMS
Convenience Pack
-Electric seats, with memory function.
-Folding/auto dimming mirros
Adaptive Lights with dynamic corning function.
High Beam Assist
Audi Exclusive 19" wheels
Drive Select with Dynamic steering & Damper Control
Sports Differential
Technology Pack High
-MMI 3G, with 7" screen
-Music interface etc
-HD sat nav with 3d mapping
-Park system plus
Sound Pack - Dab radio & Bang and Olufsen
+ a very cool personalised 11 plate which I can't post on t'internet!
(another reason I didn't want to wait another 6 months for a 61 plate car)

S4-2.jpg

A very bad pic of the seats taken through the window before I had the keys...
S4-3.jpg

It was a very tough call to make. Their offer of the A5 until a new car was ordered was very fair, but I simply didn't want to wait.

I'd taken my dad down with me for a second opinion, and he couldn't believe I was even considering rejecting it. Neither can anyone else who's seen it today. I guess us Audi geeks are too picky! "They are just ****** seats!"

It was the sales managers **** up on the order. Me and the sales guy had been over the spec soo many times to make sure it was right, just for his gaffer to not tick the right box. We were both p*ssed off with him! He put his hands up to the mistake, an was very sorry about it. I wasn't going to achieve anything my ranting and raving at him.

They refunded the cost of the seats, and the through load, so I basically paid £800 less deposit on the finance. To be honest I probably did let them off lightly, there was certainly some relieved faces.
But for the record, apart from the obvious, I can't fault Teesside Audi, they've always been helpful through the whole ordering process. Even after I initially rejected the car, they completey understood and have never been awkward about it.

I'm putting it behind me and moving on, life's too short, and the car is awesome!

As requested the full spec is:

Quartz Grey
S-Tronic
Leather/Alcantara (wrong) Seats
Heated front seats (Should be standard like the S3!)
Through load on rear seat
TPMS
Convenience Pack
-Electric seats, with memory function.
-Folding/auto dimming mirros
Adaptive Lights with dynamic corning function.
High Beam Assist
Audi Exclusive 19" wheels
Drive Select with Dynamic steering & Damper Control
Sports Differential
Technology Pack High
-MMI 3G, with 7" screen
-Music interface etc
-HD sat nav with 3d mapping
-Park system plus
Sound Pack - Dab radio & Bang and Olufsen
+ a very cool personalised 11 plate which I can't post on t'internet!
(another reason I didn't want to wait another 6 months for a 61 plate car)

S4-2.jpg

A very bad pic of the seats taken through the window before I had the keys...
S4-3.jpg
So the sales manager did not learn his lesson from my issues, told you so.

I won't name names, but if his initials are AMc then apparently not! I did mention that I was aware they'd done the same stupid thing before.

I won't name names, but if his initials are AMc then apparently not! I did mention that I was aware they'd done the same stupid thing before.
Thats the guy.

Perhaps we should have shouted at him a bit to drum it in so he doesn't do it again! :keule:
Never mind, as you say it's history just go out and enjoy, the car is terrific.

I would still like to know who was at fault, I would not have taken the car myself as the super sport seats are light years ahead of to standard offering in my view.
Absolutely.S4 without ss seats? wtf??