Car Stolen/ Recovered. Help!

A5GUR

Reaction score
Been a while since ive been on here but here it goes. Last night, somebody broke into my house and stole my car. I activated the tracker and the car was recovered 3 hours later. The police still have it for forensics, but on intial inspection 3 of the alloys need refurbing, needs 1 new tyre. and obviously all the things associated with a stolen key. They have also dug up all the floor carpet to look for the tracker.

My concern is, the insurance have said they will repair the car and give it back to me. and confirmed the car will be classed as stolen/ recovered on an HPI report. can they do this? Even though they have repaired the car, when i come to sell it, it will be worth less than half the market value due to it being classed as a stolen car? Plus the fact somebody may think they still have a key and may try to take it again, and if they dont succeed, could potentially break into my house again?

thanks in advance for your help.

Hey mate, really sorry to hear this about your car, have seen it around a few times.

They will have to register it as stolen recovered, as it is going to go through the insurance company, no two ways about it.

You could possibly ask your Insurance company to get all the locks on the car changed, im pretty sure they will do this for you as a matter of course due to the nature of the theft.

Let us know how you get on mate.

****** hell. Not another one!
Kam, I feel for you mate, I really do.
I'm just glad you and your family are all ok.

I would discuss with your insurance company the situation, arm yourself with info... speak to your dealer with regards the difference you could expect to see come trade in time.
You have insuarnce for this reason, loss in value should be covered.
If you want, pop in to tt-talk.com - a member there is a lawyer (go in to the legal forum) and should be able to help you with the approach you take.

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

J

Man thats BS! :mad:

How is it Kam gets penalised because some pondlife took a liking to his car. WTF, im leaving this godforsaken country :(

LoL, but seriously WTF!!

only thought it would go on the register if it was a total loss by the insurance company

only thought it would go on the register if it was a total loss by the insurance company

Thats what I would have thought....

Ie written off by insurance and sold to someone to do up, bit like accident damaged cars being sold to repair, cat d, c etc...

Correct.

Its only a Cat D if the insurance company pay out. I work in car finance and this happens to client's cars from time to time. It WILL NOT be recorded at HPI as Stolen Recovered.

Loads of people on various forums I go on are being targeted this way right now it seems.

:ohmy:

Yeah rings a bell with "4real" hey guys, but at least this ones genuine

Correct, it won't be recorded as a Cat D unless it is declared as total loss and you are recompensed likewise.

Sorry about the bad news, can't see it being on the register though.

Only one thing worse than getting your car nicked, and that's getting it back. If mine got pinched would never want to see it again, my reason for never getting a tracker.

Mark

I had a car stolen years back and the insurance Co. would only write the car off as a total loss and pay out when it had been missing for 6 weeks.

Your car wont be registerd as stolen recovered in this instance.

Other wise whats the point of a Tracker?? That would mean the tracker could have just cost YOU 10 grand !

What about this scenario.

A brother/GF/mate takes the keys for your 80K 911 and goes for a spin. You ring the cops and notify the insurance, and the car turn up soon after.
Applying the same logic as your mis informed insurance guy that 80K car would have lost 30K of it list price in just 1 hr !!

Anyway you get my point.

Good luck in getting sorted mate and hopefully you get some sense from the insurance company and the car back to how it was.

Cheers
Paul

Yeah insurance companies law to themselves!!!

As for tracker worked, its funny cause the username was 4real, we all thought 4shite, havnt seen him for dust since & its becoming all to often on here these attempts huh, what is crap is the DVLA openly give out our info huh!!!!

Whatever happened to data protection!!!!!!! Data Protection my left nuggettttt

Thanks for your responses. The insurers have confirmed it WILL be classed as a stolen/recovered car on HPI. As its a legal requirement for them to register as it was reported to the police.

there will obviously be mechanical damage that they cant see or assess which im sure i will end up paying for fairly shortly. Its pooh.

Thanks for your responses. The insurers have confirmed it WILL be classed as a stolen/recovered car on HPI. As its a legal requirement for them to register as it was reported to the police.

there will obviously be mechanical damage that they cant see or assess which im sure i will end up paying for fairly shortly. Its pooh.

Then they don't know what they are on about. Call centre staff nonsense. PM me your reg no and I will HPI it in a couple of days (once the Police marker has been removed) and I will send you back what I find. It won't be on the register unless someone has dropped a b0ll0ck.

Try and get that nonsense in writing.

as someone has already mentioned: there will be a stolen marker on it at the moment incase the thieves tried to trade it in somewhere or tried to sell it, but that will be removed once you get it back/repaired etc. it'll only be CAT D or C if you get paid out and you bought it back again etc.

Sorry to hear this mate. Be sure to go over the car inside and out to pick up the tinyest marks or damage

Come on S3 owners, remember GARAGE / ALARM / KEYS / BED

I am sure it will be on the register, but I may be wrong, unless it gets removed when the police and insurance have cleared their interests in it.

as far as im aware you can also refuse the car back and get paid out for total loss,you may not want to but if there insisting on it be registered as stolen recovered,which is total bo**ocks, then thats the route i would go, if not like people have said before your only getting stolen recovered value back when you sell it,private or trade.
get paid out and buy it back if they try to fu*k you.

well i know what i would do, go to the garage to inspect it, take 3 litres of old engine oil in a can, remove the turbo pipe and fill it with old oil, then start it up.
slash both front seats then it will get written off and you get paid out in full

id never want my car back and i would be dammed if i was going to loose out.

@Brookie And you would be done for insurance fraud.

@Kam.

Hope you get the car back pristine after it's been repaired. Shouldn't be too bad and as others have said, when it's returned to you it should be clean on HPI.

I've just checked with HPI and the car is clear, as it should be. Stolen marker has been reomoved and nothing else untoward.

Copy of report sent to Kam

:salute:

Thanks for your help. I have already tried rejecting it but they are not having any of it. I know i can get my car looking pristine insude and out. But im more concerned about the stuff you cant see. Like clutch/ gearbox/ brakes etc etc.

Kam - If you're that worried and depending on your circumstances off load it. Sell it on, and go and buy yourself another nearly new???
I do understand what you're saying and I would probably feel the same.
Good enough excuse to get a facelift version???

But im more concerned about the stuff you cant see. Like clutch/ gearbox/ brakes etc etc.

I know its easy for us to say but if anything critical has happened to the transmission, the likelyhood is that it will manifest itself pretty soon and within the warranty period. Then it becomes AUDIs problem.

Brakes wise, this should be an easy check to see how the discs look and the `feel` on the pedal for disc warping etc.
Like the guys have said, not a bad excuse for a facelift model.:o.k:

Good luck.
Cheers
Paul

But what it the dealers then claim "you have trashed it sir" or the gearbox/engine has been treated very bad - we will not cover this without any charge... then you get stuck with the repairbill. You cannot blame it on car thieves.
Remember there's a computer inside our cars, and where there is a computer there is memory - who knows how the dealer uses that information and how much of it that we don't know of.

Your driving style couldnt be stored, if you mean like telemetry? The ECU doesnt have that much spare memory. For the 3 hours they had it I would be surprised if they could treat the engine/drivetrain/brakes much worse than any other S3 is subjected to on a spirited ASN run. The cars are solidly built. I guess you wont really know until you get it back and see how it feels? I really hope its fine.

Your driving style couldnt be stored, if you mean like telemetry? The ECU doesnt have that much spare memory. For the 3 hours they had it I would be surprised if they could treat the engine/drivetrain/brakes much worse than any other S3 is subjected to on a spirited ASN run. The cars are solidly built. I guess you wont really know until you get it back and see how it feels? I really hope its fine.

Spot on.
`Hard driving` is purely subjective opinion.

Show me an S3 or any other enthusiasts car that has had an easy life.

Paul

Also woth noting that generally, when cars are stolen like this, they are not ragged away from the scene. More likely driven normally, to a quite location where typically they park up and observe, see if it is fitted with a tracker, if it is the police will come and they will ****** off. It seems in your case they were desperate to trace the tracker.... stolen to order??? Who knows, but I'd be surprised if the car received too much abuse mechanically.

Hi, the car is still in the impound. The police dont seem to be in any rush to get it inspected. I spoke with HPI directly and they said its upto the police or insurance company to inform them and then they will add it. Directline said they will inform HPI?

When they stole they car, they had a check around the car for the tracker (the floor carpet under the floor mats has all dissapeared), and then parked it up on a cul de sac to see if there was a tracker and if so, awaited recovery.

Now i just have to wait ages until its been released.