Car Tax (UK)

Wow
So RS3 will be £800 tax in first year, then £140 standard a year but for first 5 years it will also incur £310 supplement on top of the standard amount for being over £40k. Plus insurance premiums are on the up lately. Starts to make it a little too hot to run.

Forking 'ell, even the S3's will be £500 on the first year.

First year will be covered within the OTR price. As above £310 won't be incurred if you buy it and register before next year. Could be interesting to see how dealers deal with late orders although I wonder if the £40k is car only and excludes extras and options as how would you know in the future when buying second hand apart from asking?

Just checked the in the June 2015 RS3 brochure

Current 2015 first year road tax is £490 then £265 thereafter

£310 is a pain for over £40k but looks like similar costs over a 3 year period

So whats the point in changing it in the first place?

Edit : I'm wrong!
See post #10 below

Last edited:
Just checked the in the June 2015 RS3 brochure

Current 2015 first year road tax is £490 then £265 thereafter

£310 is a pain for over £40k but looks like similar costs over a 3 year period

So whats the point in changing it in the first place?
It's £310 on top of the standard £140, so £450 a year and £800 on first registering (If based on invoice value of car).

Ouch 1700 in tax for 3 years, that is taking the preverbial. They giveth with one hand and take away with the other.

Ouch! I wonder if buying second hand has the same kind of penalties? I could see pre-registered cars suddenly becoming more attractive if that was the case.

First year will be covered within the OTR price. As above £310 won't be incurred if you buy it and register before next year. Could be interesting to see how dealers deal with late orders although I wonder if the £40k is car only and excludes extras and options as how would you know in the future when buying second hand apart from asking?
before April 2017.......

It's £310 on top of the standard £140, so £450 a year and £800 on first registering (If based on invoice value of car).
@Foxtrot_Oscar - My bad. Missed that bit FO
'Cars with a list price over £40,000 when new pay a supplement £310 per year on top of the standard rate, for five years'

You'll also find if you take the option 8.5J wheels the emissions go up to 194 therefore making your first years payment £1200!

Absolutely ****** ridiculous!

First years tax is usually covered by the dealer is it not?

This is what I have been trying to say. The Impreza will benefit from this but the Discovery having just got his tax down will suffer due to overall cost. Does this mean we can lose the frustrating start/stop mechanism?

I don't understand why this thread has been started in the RS3 section. It is applicable to all cars... not just the RS3.

Can an Admin/Mod move this thread to the General Automotive Chat?

Errr no, it isn't. It is part of the 'on the road' costs which are added to the list price. Therefore, for example, the OTR cost element for the RS3 is more than the S3 because of the difference in VED band. That first year gap won't actually change much with the new bands because the RS3 will be 800 vs S3 @ 500. For years 2-5 though, that's where the punitive extra £310 a year comes in (for this comparison) although I'm not clear if the list price means base price before OTR or including OTR or including options.

Ultimately some will say so what and it won't affect their buying decision. Might slightly depress resale if younger than 5 years due to used car buyers not wanting a 450 quid VED bill. Time will tell all :)

According to Auto Express " Cars with a list price above £40,000 will attract a supplement of £310 on their standard charge for the first five years." Hope that means as the RS3 is <£40k will be exempt; as trying to administer cost price, with/without discounts etc. would be a nightmare.

So my car is due in September current tax is £265 per year after the first year. Will this change in 2017 then or continue to be £265 per year as it was registered before 2017 :blink:

I think the only sensible interpretation of the Budget is you will pay £140...

So my car is due in September current tax is £265 per year after the first year. Will this change in 2017 then or continue to be £265 per year as it was registered before 2017 :blink:
Anything registered pre 1st April 2017 will be subject to the current system and will not change after April 2017; this does not mean that the rates for current bands will not increase in the future.

I'm sure GO said the VED rate you pay now on your current car "will not increase" when the new system comes into effect from April 2017.

Having looked into this a bit more I'm thinking it's bad news RE adding options. It would be easiest for them to take the 'list price' as the same as the current P11D value used for company car tax, and this value does include factory fitted options...
So the RS3 is going to be hit as everyone is going to add at least £50 of options!

Almost certainly, "list price" will mean the P11D value - its an established pricing system for HMRC.

Based on the specs I have whipped up for a Golf R vs an S3 Saloon, the Audi would be over 40k whilst the Golf would not. Bummer.

But it am confident that the manufacturers will respond to the changed tax regime and introduce new bundles which help you get a lot of stuff whilst keeping under the threshold. They have always done that in the past and sticker price is the easiest thing to engineer as there is no development cost...

Yea, they already do this with the 'business editions' of various models/marques which are aimed at keeping the P11D down and in a low BIK bracket (so they will be efficient diesels with Sat Nav etc that business people want for doing miles).
These types of 'editions' will as you say be expanded to appeal to a wider audience.

With the new VED rates coming in in April 2017, does this mean we may finally see the end to stop/start ?

Personally, I hate it with a passion!

With the new VED rates coming in in April 2017, does this mean we may finally see the end to stop/start ?

Personally, I hate it with a passion!

Probably not as its a feature put in the car for worldwide markets - just because the UK is making the dependence on CO2 emissions less of a factor doesn't mean everywhere else they sell the cars is.