Car threw a hissy fit

rodenal

Reaction score
In work just now, had somewhere to go so jumped in the car. Sounded a bit funny, pretty rough feeling too - got a mile along the road and it cut out, as if id stalled the car.

Tried to restart, odd smell and wouldnt turn, as if there was no battery, so i rolled the car off the road and had a look - no obvious problems but the engine bay is stinking.

Tried a few more times and the car eventually turned over - so i drove back to work, this time with noises from the pas.

Checked again, power steering fluid has spat itself everywhere, causing the noise, however engine now sounds fine.

Dont really wanna crawl under the car when im at work, just wondering wether attempting to get it home (30 miles) will end in disaster and **** somethin up more?

The steering is massively heavy with no power steering.

I would not go fast or far.

Yeah ive also realised that ill ruin the pump by driving it without the power steering- assuming it hasnt already disintegrated. This is all beggining to sound expensive lol

Not worth the risk IMO. If you have breakdown cover, just get them round to sort you back to home and go from there.

Hope it's not too costly!

Sounds like one of the pas cooler pipe has corroded and split. They are made of aluminium and corrode quite badly especially on a car of your age.
not a big job if you can do it yourself when you get the car home; pipe costs about £100 plus new fluid.
Again; dont advise driving your car as you coulddamage your pas rack which is expensive.

I had thought about the pipes but i was underneath the car about a week ago and checked them- seemed fine

Plus it seems like the system has somehow had pressure in it, and the fluid has came out of the filler cap, which is a bit odd, if one of the pipes had came off or leaked i wouldnt expect this to happen.

I'll have a look later on anyway, gettin a mate to recover the car for me tomorrow

Its a self lubricating system tho, and mine now has no fluid - cant see that being good for it

RAC to it buddy. Better be safe than out of pocket (even more so than you will already that is)