Car won't start, strange gearbox problem

Scruffvdub

Reaction score
Hi all

My A3 3.2 DSG has a problem, first it will not start- turnover, the PRND is flashing on the dash, the gear selector will move without pressing the foot brake, but when you press it down you can move the gear selector, it works backwards. When the RAC chap plugged the computer in it had an error "odd and even gears selected" also the key is stuck in the ignition.

Anyone know where I should be looking?

Do the mechatronics just pack up? What are the signs it's on its way out?

Do the mechatronics just pack up? What are the signs it's on its way out?

Sometimes the mechatronics units can pack in without any signs, other times you'll get really jerky changes, erratic behaviour followed by the flashing PRNDS.

However there are other reasons for it to start flashing, it may be an electrical connection playing up, confusing the gearbox and putting it into limp. I had the flashing PRNDS a couple months ago, been perfect since then so I suspect it was something electrical. Have you tried putting it into tiptronic and seeing if the gearbox will go into manual mode?

I can't try that as the car won't start so it could be a loose connection, thinking about it, it did jump forward from standstill once, funny thing is it had been in for a major service with Audi a month before this happened and they didn't pick up on any faults with the mechatronic.

Also they do suffer with that faulty microswitch on the gearbox which means the car always thinks it is in Park?

@NHN can fix those in his own unique way, otherwise it's gearbox out job.

Also they do suffer with that faulty microswitch on the gearbox which means the car always thinks it is in Park?

@NHN can fix those in his own unique way, otherwise it's gearbox out job.

I would think the gearbox thinks it's in anything other than park, given that the key won't come out the ignition and it won't start.

I would think the gearbox thinks it's in anything other than park, given that the key won't come out the ignition and it won't start.

Yes I think you've got it, would a loose wire cause this or would it be the MU packed up? Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram ?

Thanks for the help people, I've looked and can't find a wiring diagram anywhere

Any idea what the fault code was?

Flashing lights could mean quite a few things. What wires are you wanting to look at? Shifter or gearbox end? Have you checked the connectors are seated properly?

The solenoid in the shifter locks it when the brake is pressed and let's you select a gear when you take your foot off. I'm getting the feeling I need a new MU, before it went for a major service it used to drive like it was missing, and I had the lerch forwards from start off once.

Not the end of the world since you now have companies offering far cheaper repairs that it'd cost from dealers. There's Gearbox Nottingham as Sayam suggested or another option is Ecu Testing who i think charge £250 but provide a lifetime warranty with the repair but this involves posting the unit out to them.