CarPlay Spotify

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Good afternoon.

Hope everyone is gearing up for F1 finale!

Right. Spotify...I'm keen to use it with a premium account on my B9 S4. Had a trial and I liked it. I use my iPod Classic in my B8.5 S4 Avant. It's great for shuffle as you get a huge array or music. Or playlists. But are you limited to Artists and 'Artist/Track Radio' with Spotify? Is there a way to 'shuffle all' on Spotify in CarPlay?

Also, how are people finding using CarPlay facilities and MMI? My guess is that using CarPlay on centre screen and VC/Nav on dash would be best? But from what I've read on here, it seems there's some bugs or gremlins when using CarPlay. Does it interfere with MMI quite a bit? In short, I love my music and just wondering what best set up is?

Cheers. Enjoy the F1!

I use Carplay for music, phone and messaging and it works very well and siri is excellent.
There were a few odd things happening initially but these have all gone away with the latest version of ios.

I can't comment on Spotify as I don't use it.

I have VC using Google Maps and the central display is for Carplay, I don't use the MMI at all as most is disabled when you plug in the phone for Carplay.

The only slight downside is you have to the phone it get Carplay working, I actually prefer it that way as there is no temptation to look at your phone at all when in the car, even at the lights.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I use Carplay for music, phone and messaging and it works very well and siri is excellent.
There were a few odd things happening initially but these have all gone away with the latest version of ios.

I can't comment on Spotify as I don't use it.

I have VC using Google Maps and the central display is for Carplay, I don't use the MMI at all as most is disabled when you plug in the phone for Carplay.

The only slight downside is you have to the phone it get Carplay working, I actually prefer it that way as there is no temptation to look at your phone at all when in the car, even at the lights.
That's really helpful man. Thank you. You have the set up the way I've envisioned mine. Do you not feel like you're missing out on MMI though?

Mine won't do google maps on the VC when using CarPlay. Just shows a compass?

The VC only shows built in Nav and you have to configure that to use Google Maps and have a SIM card for data.

I had a similar thing when I used Apple maps by mistake it does not show on VC.

I use Spotify via CarPlay. You can slice it up whatever way you want. Artist/Album/Radio/Playlists, it's up to you.

I use Spotify via CarPlay. You can slice it up whatever way you want. Artist/Album/Radio/Playlists, it's up to you.
I've started finding quite a few playlists I like yeah. I guess I just meant, can you shuffle all artists you've followed?

So, you have to manually set VC to use google maps? How?

To set the Nav to use Google Maps you use the MMI, select NAV on the MMI and pretty sure you use the right hand option button you can set it to standard, traffic or Google Maps.

To set the Nav to use Google Maps you use the MMI, select NAV on the MMI and pretty sure you use the right hand option button you can set it to standard, traffic or Google Maps.
Perfect. I've took a screenshot of this. Thanks. From what I'm seeing, the new MMI and especially Connect systems seem to require ninja-like abilities in order to operate haha.

I get that, and use that all the time.. but when CarPlay is enabled on mine, I just get a compass!

I get that, and use that all the time.. but when CarPlay is enabled on mine, I just get a compass!
Do you have a dedicated Simcard? Tech pack etc? I don't have my car yet so I'm not best to advise sorry.

My17, tech pack.

Wondering if the compass only happens when I'm actively using apple maps

I did use Apple Maps in error once and yes you just get a compass on the VC.

Reactions: basegreen and Thundercliffe81
Just coming back to this. Got premium Spotify just now. You can shuffle all tracks which is great. Can you do this in CarPlay though? Only seen 3 options. Playlists, Albums and Artists. No shuffle button. iPhone 6. Latest update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, go into all tracks and then select shuffle.

Ok bud I'll give it a whirl. Couldn't see this on CarPlay. If it works, it'll be brilliant. Exactly what I was looking for with music set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk