Cars developed a clacking sound!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So I noticed yesterday a clacking noise coming from the drivers front side on my way home, at first I thought I was just someone else's car etc, then today realised its actually mine. The noise is only their when pulling away from a stand still, only in first gear, it isn't present upon normal driving, just the initial pull away, the best way to describe it is like the noise one of those plastic clackers make when you spin them around.

Any ideas? Won't get chance to get it jacked up until at least Saturday now.

Just managed to grab 10 minutes, didn't have time for wheel off hobby but all cv's are fine and nothing looks in toward, I did notice though that the rear of the engine has some form of nice oil leak though that has covered the gearbox, nice haha.

Nothing stood out though to as what would make the noise, all heat shields look fine also.

sounds like its an "under load " issue dani, and only from low speed , I would have said look at the cv joints to be honest, best get it jacked up and have a good old shake and turn of things dani.

That's my thinking, theirs clearly something not right and it's only been highlighted when under the initial set off due to the strain the drivetrain etc is subjected to, I did think cv joints but they initially look fine, well not detached which is a good start.

As you said rob, it's jack up time at the weekend for a full inspection.

Reactions: Wheeldon
Well had the car up and looked over, nothing, both cv's are fine, all suspensions, arb etc seem fine, the under trays secure. I'm at a loss.

To further add to this the noise has now started to happen when changing up into 2nd and 3rd.

The only thing I can think it is, is the heat shield in the engine bay above the turbo, it doesn't seem that secure so under load I reckon it would easily move about but that's me clutching at straws.

dose the clacking noise get faster as you pull away Dani or just stay almost rhythmic so to speak ?

c.v. joints normally click on turning for the outer and the inner gets quicker as the car moves away

Pretty much the exact same noise regardless mate

All the cv's look spot on mate, no cracks, rips etc.

no shudder on the clutch pedal or grinding noises either mate

Nope, nothing mate, no pulling, no unusual movement of the clutch or brake pedal, no juddering while accelerating or braking.

So weird.

question dani, process of ilimination is required here.
(1) does it do it only on acceleration
(2) if so at what point does it stop, is it speed or rpm relative.
(3) does it do it only in straight line or any direction of steering.

what about on deceleration, same symptons or not.

1) only does it when first setting, the noise isn't their under any other driving conditions.
2) stops when going past 3k in 1st or when changing up to another gear (only did it a few times when going up into second but then went after a few 100rpm)
3) does it regardless of the wheel position.

well that seems to point to a specific area then dani, as it only appears to happen in a specific gear and within a set rpm range etc and isn't apparent at any other time or condition you have pretty well pinpointed the source of the noise.

does it happen everytime you drive the car or just occasionaly, also have you tried pulling away in second gear upto 3k rpm to see what can be heard.

Last edited:
just a shot in the dark here dani, is yours a Quattro or fwd variant, It did cross my mind that maybe you have a noisey UJ on your propshaft as this would clank upon pulling away under load but become less obvious as the shaft and joints were all rotating at a faster speed, but that would apply to FWD versions, thats why I mentioned have you tried pulling away in second , try that maybe down an incline to make things easier.

Mines the Quattro rob.

I haven't tried a second gear pull, but I will to see if it still happens.

Personally I think it's some sort of shielding that is loose but I'm struggling to locate which one.

I would have said that if it was a shield or guard plate ratling or vibrating dani you would get the noise at different times aswell , not just at that specifc place you are getting it, try revving it a bit on the spot and see what can be heard, my old Subaru legacy suffered from a noisy centre pipe shield but the noise could be heard across a larger rpm and speed range, your problem does appear to be at a very specific place and in a single gear only.

Tried revving it robb all the way into 5k stationary and I get nothing.

The reason I think it could be a shield is due to the force and strain the car is under when first setting off is higher than the force on the car when actually in gear driving so that's why I doubt think it's showing itself.

I think it's the turbo heat shield but again this is just a guess.

you have me at a loss then dani, if it was a loose shield or guard you would have heard something if you revved it a fair bit and it would do it at other points when driving etc, just don't know chap what else to suggest now, well maybe swapping it in for a special edition avant offcourse.....

Reactions: Dani_B19
same here Rob/Dani, i've been thinking about this loads and can't put my finger on it, hurry up and find it Dani we need to know what it is mate.

are you sure it's not a spider in your ear dani....lol

Rob don't tempt me. Just loading the car up now for the lakes and I've got a 410l roof box and both that and the boot are full and where still not packed :pensive:.

Seriously though chaps, once back from the jollies my weekends will be free so I will sort this annoying issue out.

Just to add another point to this, haha, it only does it once the cars warmed up, doesn't do it during the first 10 minutes of driving haha.

well in reverse order then dani, if it only does it when warmed up its not going to be a shield or guard plate, still think its a bug in your ear mate...lol.
Not sure of your destination in the lakes but have a nice one with , (1) plenty off rest (well with a small person that's questionable) (2) plenty of BBQ's (3) a good supply of appropriate bevarages.....and finally a good splatter of sunshine, forget about the car noises and other probs and enjoy yourselves ...
drinks are on me ...enjoy.
rob

ps , avants are a much better option for this sort of thing.

Reactions: carlcall and Dani_B19
If I get the chance mate I'll try to record it just to prove I'm not losing my marbles (just yet that is).

Thanks mate, where off to bowness on Windermere again, truely stunning area.

The cars packed full of beverages and food and I'll be making the most of it don't worry, I'll be putting the car to one side haha.

Whats the tread depth like on all your tyres?
When i had unevenly worn tyres, my car would make a sort of rumble when first setting off under load, and also if i applied any throttle on full lock.
It felt as though the wheels were rubbing, but they werent.

Good mate, around 4mm all round and no uneven wear on the fronts.

so any further on this front then dani, thought maybe you had managed to get to the bottom of it now.

Yes and no.

I believe it's the heat shield above the turbo Rob, I bent it upwards last weekend and this has reduced the frequency to which the clacking occurs, it has also meant the noise only happens in first now.

I need to try and find a drawing at some point of the heat shield to see how it's secured and look to remove it for a short term basis to see if it is that for sure.

Probably not the same, but I have a front end clunk that I cant pinpoint. Replaced all arms and bushes on the drivers side to no avail. Nothing is loose everything is tighter than a virgins chuff..

However I do have a 2 piece steel sump guard. Going to take this off next few weeks to see if its that.

Probably not the same, but I have a front end clunk that I cant pinpoint. Replaced all arms and bushes on the drivers side to no avail. Nothing is loose everything is tighter than a virgins chuff..

However I do have a 2 piece steel sump guard. Going to take this off next few weeks to see if its that.
when dose it clunk mate ?

daft one to check i had some work done on the front end of mine, and had this clunk every now and then, it was the backing plate on the disc/hub that was'nt lined up properly and was catching on the bottom arm, worth a check ?

Yep already checked it. Trust me I've checked literally everything lol.

Im installing air suspension next few months, so going to replace all the bushes again anyway, see how I get on from there!

I had a similar problem that was solved by changing trans/diffs fluids!

Mines deffo suspension related, sound more like the upper strut bearing now that its getting a bit worse lol

My problem was more a clanking in the centre diff area, but if you are sure it's suspension related, i'll bet on the end links! Good luck!