Car's gave itself a oil change.... Now its like a new car.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Ok, let me explain.

Driving to my mates friday evening and all of a sudden their was a loud beep and the dash flashing red with the oil lamp on, great, so i lipped the car to halfords and bought some mobil 5w-30 fully synthetic oil (really ****** off with the car, only serviced it 6 months ago, checked oil a few months ago and was fine, i know i should check it more often but i forget lol) anyway, filled the oil up.

Been driving for the last few days and i just cant believe how much different the car is, its soooo much smoother and faster, it's not just me thinking it is either, even the misses has asked what id done to the car. Cant believe how much difference the oil has made, ive used vw/audi grade oil that my mechanic recommeneds but im sticking to mobil now.

Only leak on the car mate is the rocker cover, and tbh its not any where near enough to justify the oil used, no blow out on the exhaust, no oil in the water, all seems fine, its weird.

i had a similar thing in my car i was baffled too. i spent a good 45 mins looking for it all around the car. no puddle, no spray in the engine anywhere nothing in the exhaust was definately weird!

This is mega strange - I was on my way to work this morning and the oil indicator beeped on. Car was only serviced in april! Going to have to fully investigate after work

oil shouldnt make the car quicker!

I know, the thing is, nothing else has been done, car hasnt had TB aligned or ecu reset or anything, the only thing different is the oil.

oh another thing i forgot to add is i had a really low marker after the light come on. i put in 1 litre and it went up abouthalf way !"?! whats the deal with that i thought 5l was the amount?

cars are mad, makes you wonder why you bother half the time :p

max to min is 1L

oh another thing i forgot to add is i had a really low marker after the light come on. i put in 1 litre and it went up abouthalf way !"?! whats the deal with that i thought 5l was the amount?

some performance cars tend to use up oil and some up to 1 litre every 1000 miles (especially VR6 golfs)

All i can think of is the oil needed topping up and you just gave it a good drink lol

but i agree, cars are mad as are the mrs, dont know why i bother half the time but the satisfaction makes up for it lol

Totaly agree mate.

Getting any smoke Dan? Could be the turbo seals leaking it through slowly and then its just being burnt. Might not even be enough to notice to be fair.

One top up in 6 months isn't that bad IMO, I could live with that.

5 Litres is the sump capacity, and what goes in at oil change. Manufacturers expect people who drive their cars to know nothing at all, so they make max to min 1 litre as Matt said. This means that, even when it's REALLY low, you've still got 3.5 litres of oil sploshing about.

Imagine if they made the dipstick measurment the full 5 litres, there would be more seized engines than you could shake a stick at!

No smoke mate, only when its really cold or really damp, in normal weather etc theres nothing.

ahh ok cheers guys that makes alot of sense! :D

so in theory not sayin do it but u could drive for ages with min as u have 3.5 litres still?

so its not really a "AHHHHH HALP ME" :sos: moment?

no. its critical. totally critical

if you understand how the engine works, the pump pumps the oil round the engine. it sumps from the sump. if you dont have enough in there the pump wont pick anything up

any oil warnings are BAD, ie the pump isnt picking enough up to get the pressure up

I would add, if you have low oil flash on the dash, that means you have little or no oil in the engine at all since the oil sensor is mounted under the sump, so it is the lowes point to read.

hmmmm hence my thread about the pick ups. bad times

tbh the strainer doesnt need to be changed. just clean it. waste of money changing it imo

i know i must come across as a right tight ******, i just prefer to spend it where necessary

£12 innit? :p

that £5 or £12 could go towards something useful or 35 miles of petrol...

some performance cars tend to use up oil and some up to 1 litre every 1000 miles (especially VR6 golfs)

All i can think of is the oil needed topping up and you just gave it a good drink lol

but i agree, cars are mad as are the mrs, dont know why i bother half the time but the satisfaction makes up for it lol

My S4 chews about 1l per 1000 miles too. And its a 9L fill come service. OUCH...

Put in just over 1 litre of oil today after work. Done about 2k since service. Had a look under the car and noticed a small water leak(assume ac?). And also noticed some oil specks on the Tarmac? Going to check in the morning again but I havn't noticed a leak before, not really been looking. Any known culprits?

Rocker cover gasket, mines got a leak from it.

Should i just count myself as just really luck as in the last 12 months i have only had to top up less than 500ml of oil. i only do around 5000 miles but on a 127k engine thats good i asume? not a spot of smoke from it either?

Yes mate, i know, i should check it monthly, lol.