Castrol Edge - 5w-30 Oil - HOW MUCH ????

kaz219

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Going to get my car serviced and bought the above oil.

At Trade price, it was 36+VAT and in Halfords it was £46!

I've bought it now but anyone know where i can get it cheaper to keep one in the boot?

And does anyone know how much oil the engine takes?

Thanks

Cheers!

Hi mate,

I have been having the same problem trying to source this oil at a decent price....Homebase have got the 1l on special offer (£7.98/litre)..From the pic and description, it seems like the one that confirms to 504, 507 etc...If so - its a great price. (link below)

In answer to your second question r.e. oil capacity. Just had my A3 2.0TDI serviced and Mark @ MDM charged me for 4litres of Edge. I've done a quick search and capacity (including filter) is c.4.5l...All, feel free to correct me if you have any info otherwise!

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=592235&c_3=3|cat_12381892|Accessories|12381893&c_2=2|cat_12079537|Car+maintenance|12381892&c_1=1|category_root|Outdoor+Living|12079537

Hi mate,

I have been having the same problem trying to source this oil at a decent price....Homebase have got the 1l on special offer (£7.98/litre)..From the pic and description, it seems like the one that confirms to 504, 507 etc...If so - its a great price. (link below)

In answer to your second question r.e. oil capacity. Just had my A3 2.0TDI serviced and Mark @ MDM charged me for 4litres of Edge. I've done a quick search and capacity (including filter) is c.4.5l...All, feel free to correct me if you have any info otherwise!

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...2&c_1=1|category_root|Outdoor+Living|12079537

Cheers bud but for an extra £15 or so, i my as well just get the castrol stuff. Used it all my cars and it good stuff!

4.5l - I'll check int eh handbook and let you know!

Cheers bud

i get this £35 inc vodka & tonic ....from volksworld , blackpool rd , preston ....if its of any use to anybody to know ...

01072009571.jpg

01072009572.jpg

i get this £35 inc vodka & tonic ....from volksworld , blackpool rd , preston ....if its of any use to anybody to know ...

01072009571.jpg

01072009572.jpg

Cheers bud - after the prices, i dont think i over payed by much but i bought 4l worth of oil and the car needs 4.5l! :uhm:

I wouldnt even try to scrimp on this stuff, given how good it is & how important it is to the car overall its one of those things on the car we shouldnt cut corners on, personally you didnt over pay at all, paid good money for a good product & given how often its changed it really is a small price to pay, now my S4 B6 was different matter, used top grade aswell but 1 litre per 1k or so miles was getting expensive lol.

I wouldnt even try to scrimp on this stuff, given how good it is & how important it is to the car overall its one of those things on the car we shouldnt cut corners on, personally you didnt over pay at all, paid good money for a good product & given how often its changed it really is a small price to pay, now my S4 B6 was different matter, used top grade aswell but 1 litre per 1k or so miles was getting expensive lol.

Ouch - and you had all the petrol bills to go with it as well!

I was just trying to get the castol oil cheaper or a similar spec/quality oil which could save me a few bob - Stupidly broke at the mo and need to put another cambelt on as per my other post!! :(

Thanks N!

I got my Castrol oil from Ebay in the end. Got 4x1 litre bottles for £36 delivered.

Didn't think that was too bad. Seller I bought it from has still got some if you want it - it's gone up a bit now to £9.50 delivered per litre. He ships using 1st class post, so delivery is pretty quick. Have search for item number 260430412920.

Cheers bud but for an extra £15 or so, i my as well just get the castrol stuff. Used it all my cars and it good stuff!

4.5l - I'll check int eh handbook and let you know!

Cheers bud

Kaz,

I think I may not have been clear enough on my original message.

Homebase are selling the Castrol Edge 5w-30 (conforms to VW 507.00 if you have the PD BKD engine like me) - at £7.98/litre. This is exactly the same oil which is on sale at Halfords for £15.49/litre - so basically half the price! It is not Homebase branded oil, or anything like that, which I suspect you might have misread it for! I would never scrimp when using something as important as oil.

So, if you are wanting to keep a 1litre bottle in the boot for top-up purposes, its a good bet.

Ouch - and you had all the petrol bills to go with it as well!

I was just trying to get the castol oil cheaper or a similar spec/quality oil which could save me a few bob - Stupidly broke at the mo and need to put another cambelt on as per my other post!! :(

Thanks N!

Yeah fuel bills were extortionate & running that & the S3 was tad OTT, hence sold both before car market crash & bought TDI, but have to say great car so atm not changing, although the rocco has me looking many a time.

Yeah cambelt isnt exactly a nice bill to foot for sure.

Kaz,

I think I may not have been clear enough on my original message.

Homebase are selling the Castrol Edge 5w-30 (conforms to VW 507.00 if you have the PD BKD engine like me) - at £7.98/litre. This is exactly the same oil which is on sale at Halfords for £15.49/litre - so basically half the price! It is not Homebase branded oil, or anything like that, which I suspect you might have misread it for! I would never scrimp when using something as important as oil.

So, if you are wanting to keep a 1litre bottle in the boot for top-up purposes, its a good bet.

Thanks bud - going to get a few bottes tommorrow as thats cheeeeaaapp :D

Thanks a million mate and yeah, the link didnt work first time round for me so i thought you meant another brand oil :D

Cheers mate!

Yeah fuel bills were extortionate & running that & the S3 was tad OTT, hence sold both before car market crash & bought TDI, but have to say great car so atm not changing, although the rocco has me looking many a time.

Yeah cambelt isnt exactly a nice bill to foot for sure.

Cambelts an **** as well as the the time its going to take to fit it - should have it back for the weekend but to make it worse, my Type Rs' in the garage too with an oil leak coming from somewhere :S

Rocco = Tasty :D There's rumours of an R20T coming in 2010 - looks awesomee.

I got my Castrol oil from Ebay in the end. Got 4x1 litre bottles for £36 delivered.

Didn't think that was too bad. Seller I bought it from has still got some if you want it - it's gone up a bit now to £9.50 delivered per litre. He ships using 1st class post, so delivery is pretty quick. Have search for item number 260430412920.

Thanks mate - thats option number 2 if homebase fails me!!

I had a homebase a 2min walk from my house but they knocked it down and the next one is a 15min drive away.

I never even went into that homebase and now that i need to go there, its gone!! - whys life always like that!! lol

If you have a "Partco" motor trade factors near you, they do a VW 507.00 approved spec oil for under £20 for 5 litres.

If it meets the 507.00 specification, it must be OK to use, so why pay a lot more for the named brand?