Caught Speeding!

sharpr

Reaction score
Whilst travelling down south to see relatives before Christmas, I was caught by a mobile speed camera, travelling at 85mph on the A74(M). The camera was located in a van on a flyover, just south of Lockerbie.

I did see the van, however doubted that it would contain a mobile camera on a three lane motorway, but it would appear that I was wrong. Whilst I was travelling above 70mph, the conditions of the road were good and it wasn't too busy, therefore I would argue that I was driving safely.

Anyway winge over, I'll just have to accept that I have contributed to lining the pockets of Dumfries and Galloway police.

Gutted for you mate. I passed a Police car on a bridge on my way to Bristol. Was not hanging about either as we were very late. Still dreading the mail when I get in.

I think they have 2 weeks or so to contact you, unless they stop you at the time.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Rob

no your not wrong - been there as the massive thread earlier in this forum section called Cr@p - I think Ive been caught speeding big time!.

The Police have 14 days plus 3 days grace for post, so 17 days in all.

Good Luck and hang in there - I got away with it so I hope you do too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

its a month they have to send you something through the post...

they have to send something before a month as this is the period of time by law or something...

but what they can do.. is send you a letter to say you are going to be fined.. and then send the fine at a later date as they may be a back log on the system....

ways around this is slim.... but obviously you can take action and ask for photos, speed gun colabiration (however spelt) etc..

oi, u lot, i am still waiting for mine, they were in a t5, and they pulled me, 2 months gone, and still nothing, but so i am told it can b up to 6 months before i hear anything, i was doing 98mph.

Sorry to hear that RAS, it was obviously a huge accident blackspot, just like the almost empty M3 where I was done.

Also, it's a catch 22 with asking for the photo's and proof of calibration. You can only do this if you dispute the fixed penalty. So you have to opt to go to court in order to get this info, where the fine will be higher.

Having said that, I think everyone on the forum (and elsewhere) should start opting to go to court rather than taking the fixed penalty.
Play them at their own game, just watch the system grind to a halt.
Also the traffic cop has to attend if it is disputed, so at least he'll be off the road.

I opted to attend! ..........doh! well at least i had my day in court. I was done doing 54mph on a 40mph limit at 7.50am through an industrial area on a dual carriageway. Not a thing on the road, no school buses or kids...nada. The traffic officer <spit> was sitting astride a motorcycle, and claimed to have measured me across two fixed points. There were inacurracies in his evidence, he claimed to have calibrated his equipment 5 minutes before doing me, 3 miles away from the scene, then rode to the scene, measured the distance, input the information on his bike, got himself stationary, all in time for me to pass him!! Anyway, the script was, i couldn't honestly say what speed i was doing, and accepted that i could have been speeding at the time. So instead of the £60 fine and three penalty points, i got £220 fine and 4 penalty points. But it was worth every penny, to be able to climb on my soap box and tell the magistrates how it is! You know the story,...... the roads were quiet, my car is brand new, with ABS, Traction, PAS, new tyres, the road conditions were good, i drive 40k+ per year. I have a bike licence, insurance, TAX, MOT, blah,blah,blah...why don't you concentrate on catching a few of the losers that don't have licences, insurance, MOT, TAX, drink drivers, druggies, bald tyre brigade, are you still reading this? Anyway their attitude to my remonstrations about nabbing people who make slight errors of judgement and are otherwise safe drivers and sound members of the community fell on very deaf ears. Although i think i did strike the odd raw nerve and was told that although tey didn't neccessarily disagree with me and that i had raised some fair points, i was wished well and sent on my way. All i learned was......... Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time, ergo if you were speeding, and you knew you were, as much as it grips your sh*t, pay the fine and take it on the chin. Draw a line under it and move on- life's too short. Happy New Year.

Can't think why fair minded magistrates didn't take on board your arguments? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I was doing a ridiculous speed with a golf coming from scotland down the m74/a74 onto m6 , went passed 3 moby vans, the bar-studs, not heard anything yet, he probably got the golf instead, lol!

I got back from the in-laws after christmas to find a letter stamped 'Sussex Police'. I was crapping myself until I opened it and rememebered that I agreed to be a reference for a mate joining the force. Phew!!

Sorry to hear about those of you who have been caught. Why can I do 60 on a windy single track road in the country and only 40 on a 3 lane dual carriageway??? Nonsense if you ask me.

[ QUOTE ]
snoop said:
oi, u lot, i am still waiting for mine, they were in a t5, and they pulled me, 2 months gone, and still nothing, but so i am told it can b up to 6 months before i hear anything, i was doing 98mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to tell you fella but if you have been pulled and been told you will be prosecuted they can take up to 6 months to process it, maybe longer. The 14 day rule only applies to NIP (notice of intended prosecution). This applies to cameras and instances when you have been caught by mobile van etc without been pulled further down the road and told you've been done.

Fingers crossed you might be okay, did they issue a yellow ticket etc or were you told you were going to court etc???

Oooooooooooh!!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I hate coppers!

I got caught by a mobile camera that was parked up on one of those police observation areas on the side of the motorway, a few years ago now and I swear it was near Lockerbie somewhere... it was definately on that road anyway. I'd been to Glasgow for the weekend and I was on my way home, didn't even twig what it was until I passed it at 80-odd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The thing is, and this pi*sed me off after I'd accepted the fine etc. and had time to think about it... I got the letter in the post about a week and a half later, it was recorded delivery which means it needed to be signed for... but the bast*rd postman just shoved it through my letterbox without asking for ANY signature!

Well... I just threw the ******' thing in the bin cos I thought there was no way they could back up having sent me that without my signature.

So anyway, another coupla weeks passed, and you have 30days to do something about it I think, and I received another letter giving me a second chance to accept the charges or not. They cited some reason but I'm not sure what it was which just goes to show that most of the time they just try to scare you into accepting the fine etc. by indicating the implications right there on the page in big bold letters.

I didn't know what the next step may be and didn't fancy a day in court, although I have done it before and got away with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (I claimed 'exceptional hardship', which means you need the car for work etc. and if you lose your license you'll more than likely lose your job!), so I left it and took the fine/points on the chin. Oh, by the way, you can only claim 'exceptional hardship once... as I found out about six months later when I tried it again and got shafted!!!

But after reading this thread it just rekindles the flames of hate I have for jobs-worth coppers who just exercise their 'by-the-book' stance and actually SHOULD be out prosecuting people who a lot of you rightly say are committing ACTUAL crimes, it's pathetic! In my opinion, the whole system of speed cameras, speed limits and the way they are implemented is just ridiculous. There is absolutely no consistency there whatsoever. How can you enforce a 40mph speed limit on a 3-lane dual carriageway and then say that you only have to travel at 10mph less in a pedestrianised area!?!?

I guess everyone has to keep themselves busy though... ar*eholes.

Enjoy your cars. Keep tuning. Keep speeding. It's what makes life fun.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif