Caught Speeding

Japper

Ibis S3 Fan Club
Reaction score
Yep, got the dreaded notice in today's post.

84mph in a 60mph limit. I know the stretch of road which is downhill and one of the few places to safely overtake. Can't remember seeing the white van though!

Will this go to court or will I be offered a 'conditional offer' on this one?.

Probably just a standard fine and some points.. I wouldn't think you'd go to court.

Cheers for the suppoprt guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have a completely clean licence and don't mind 3 points, but a hefty fine or even a ban would really p*ss me off !

Rough guide for a court appearance is 25-30mph over the limit (for 60mph dual carriageways & m'ways) but it varies from county to county but you'd be very unlucky not to get an FP.
Even if you get a fixed penalty I'd ask for photo evidence as you can't remember who was driving etc etc. These guys are catching so many motorists that in some cases the admin to produce the photo is regarded as too expensive so they could just bin your ticket and move on to the 1,000's of other motorists who'll just pay up without a fuss.
This seems to be coming more common, if everybody did it then the system would collapse as it moves from an automated to manual process, and they couldn't cope.
Likewise if everyone refused to be treated like a cashpoint and requested a court appearance.
It is your right to make the request for proof and it won't effect the fine or points.
Good Luck.

yeah I always ask for a photo (to add to my collection!) in the hope they can't be bothered to dig it out or they have lost it etc.

Also delays them getting your funds. I know I'd rather the money sitting in my bank account rather than theirs!

Fingers crossed but hpoefully you should be ok...

i got caught doing the same, 85 in a 60 a few years back.

yip, ask for a photo, also don't fill out the optional form about your salary and weekly costs, i did it and even trying to make it sound bad they figured this guy can afford a spare £10 a week, so fined me £250 with the option to pay it weekly plus 3 points.

[ QUOTE ]
i got caught doing the same, 85 in a 60 a few years back.

yip, ask for a photo, also don't fill out the optional form about your salary and weekly costs, i did it and even trying to make it sound bad they figured this guy can afford a spare £10 a week, so fined me £250 with the option to pay it weekly plus 3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, but no optional form asking me my income - they could shove it up their aris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3 points and £250 and i'll be fairly happy and take it on the chin.........now how much is a road angel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Road Angel won't help, you need a laser jammer - £300 bargain, saved me a ban already.

Sorry to hear this Japper.

If you want cheering up, then visit the problems TT thread.

All the best pal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear that Japper. As Andy said, defo ask for photo, make sure all details on the NIP are accurate etc...

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checked the camera calibration cert on the web and it's in order.......bummer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Will ask for photo, you never know it might have caught my good side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You need to work harder at it if you want to break its vile hold on you, bear in mind that it may cost you more than what the original fine was.. they do tell you that on the leaflet that accompanies the ticket and the crown may take a dim view of your protests and increase the fine /points..

However "Your mission.. should you decide to accept it" is to discredit the actual photo, i.e was the camera clearly visible, other vehicles at the same speed, warning signs etc etc.. Its up to you how you proceed.. most just take the fine and penalty for ease of life rather than go to all the hassle...

Oh, I will take the fine and points, and have already sent the form back. Just want the photo for my album /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just got done on the M5 temp 40mph limit for roadworks, recon I was doing 55mph which is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif as I was on cruise control at 45mph, now to go to court is gonna cost me a fortune as I am not a chav and don't get legal aid.
I got told by a few people at the local snooker club by me to throw the NIP away, then a letter will come saying they have passed it to the crown court to deal with, throw this away and then 99% of the time you will never hear anthing, as said the admin is just to much to process it. One of these blokes at the club has a mate who is a traffic cop and he said that at the end of the month the court have a pile of tickets that people have replied to owning up and a pile that they have had no replies from, the no replies pile goes in the bin, but every now and again they do send recorded delivery summons out to some non responders, he has thrown the last 2 NIP's away and heard nothing.
So my NIP went in the bin, and will do the same with the letter from the court and if I don't hear anything then winner, if I do get a recorded delivery summons I will call up and say I have had no NIP sent and they can't prove this as the NIP and court letters are not recorded delivery.

Will wait and see what happens with this, but I am fed up of accepting the NIP and these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif making money from us motorists.

Will let you all know what happens.

I've found to my cost that mates advice down the pub or in the snooker hall is surprisingly not always 100%.
Other urban myths include:
1. Sending a cheque for £61, they then send one back for £1 and if you don't cash it they can't complete the process and it sits in limbo
2. Stating the driver was a friend who is now dead
3. Claiming the offending car is a ringer
4. If stopped by a traffic car there has to be 2 officers present (and they have to be wearing their hats)

etc etc.
I'm sure the powers that be have closed the "do nothing" loophole, and you'll end up with a warrant for your arrest if you ignore a summons.

Ive always wondered what would happen if you claim a friend from an eastern european country was driving your car at the time?

I remember in the papers a few months ago some people did this and went to court but not everyone gonna get found out...

(being as theres some people in the know on this thread I thought Id ask)

[ QUOTE ]
kevint thats a good site you posted ( thought id just say )

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers mate, it was actually someone on here that guided me towards the site when I was facing court - it's full of good advice and backed up with actually cases, example letters etc...

Kev.

Well, got my fine in yesterday........3 points and £60 fine, woohoo, could'vce been worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still hate the cheating, hiding bstards though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, got my fine in yesterday........3 points and £60 fine, woohoo, could'vce been worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still hate the cheating, hiding bstards though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats MORE THAN>

like u said cud had bin worse

[ QUOTE ]

4. If stopped by a traffic car there has to be 2 officers present (and they have to be wearing their hats)

[/ QUOTE ]

this one is true. (not the hats part to the best of my knowledge!)
Unless they have a video enabled traffic car there must be two of them to verify the offence.

I was followed by a sergeant in his own car, I have to admit I was in a hurry ; ).
He had to radio for a traffic car as he was no able to pull me over or indeed had he stopped me at lights its his word against mine.

Well i had two of them that stopped me and they had the recording equipment in the car too.....banged to rights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Well I've been done by a single motorbike, a copper on his own in a car and a single copper on the beat (although that one went to court and I won as he got the light sequence completely wrong on the railway crossing)
Yes it's his word against yours, but he's a copper so who will a magistrate side with?

I think the requirement for two officers to be present only applies in Scotland. Under Scots law, any prosecution must have corroboration.

Me & a friend got stopped on our bikes one copper no evidence .

We were going to try the “which bike did you clock gov” routine.

Both tickets said exceeding the speed limit (no speed given) I sought professional legal advice from a friend of my father and was told because he was following us and was going at ??? speed and not gaining on us this would be enough to convict us of “exceeding the speed limit”.
(Minimum fine & points for that given limit)

If it when to court it was my word against experienced trained traffic cop who in all his years of experience……yawn…..yawn……+ anything else he could throw at me.

If he had been a static speed trap we would of walked (case history on this)

So I took the Minimum fine & points & not the advice of my mates who said I go free.

But always thought what if.