Caught speeding!

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Yup, it's another one of those speeding threads!

Let me just start by saying that I'm having a crap month! After having my gearbox eat itself to death on the M42, the beast was back on the road to recovery with a new(used) gearbox and clutch, and I'm around £800 quid lighter!! :( During the time when my gearbox was being fixed, the MOT also ran out on the car, and not being able to drive it, of course it's got no MOT.

Anyway, whilst on my way to the MOT test station, I was directed to a stop by a group of :busted_cop: , they got me speeding at 59mph in a 30Zone :no: the buggers zapped me with a speed gun from 1100FT away, and my car had no current MOT! - help!
So whilst they were giving me my rights etc., it occured to me that my car was MOT'less, so I duly pointed out my position that I was on my way to the MOT station, will this effect my proceedings?. Officer tells me there is a chance I may be done for no MOT, but said that, as I was on my way, it should be ok, as he'd made a note of it.

Now I don't dispute I was speeding, I was making an overtake manouver passing some OAP in a Rover 200, and I happen to be in second, so when the power comes in, so does the buzz, and straight to the red line in 2nd and boxed the gearbox to 4th before slowing back down to normal speeds.

Now I know the speed seems excessive which ever way you look at it, but it was an empty dual carriageway, and the rozzers in force was pulling 2-3 cars for speeding out of every 10 going pass, so they chose the perfect spot for a bit of quick revenue imo.

My question really though, is what type of fine or punishment am I looking at? I was done for speeding over 10 years ago when I was 18, which has been removed from my licence a long time ago, so my record I would believe is clean licence.

Did they mentioning it going to court?
If not 3 points £60 fine, I think maybe if it goes to court 5-7 points with around £150+ fine :(

They said it 'MAY' go to court with the speed I was doing, I was in a state of shock actually, with the gun readin 59mph, like it was in black and white... what could I say?
I don't mind points and a fine, just not a BAN!... do I need to seek legal aid if it was togo to court?, I'm new to all of this lol.

I think that you may get 6 points and a 200 pound fine if you're lucky. If not then you might get banned for a couple of months. My friend got caught doing 68 in a 40 and he got 6 points and 200 pound fine.

it'll go to the criminal prosecution service, who will assess the crime, and see if it warrants taking any further than a fixed penalty.

Your fate lies with the mood of the person dealing with your case.

It'll most likely go to court but you can plead guilty by post so you don't have to appear unless you're contesting it.
Most likely 6 points and the fine will be dependent on your income probably £200-£300.
My wife got done doing 57 on a 30mph dual carriageway last year and got 6 points and a £300 fine.

A friend of mine about 5 years ago now, so points are long gone, got cought by one of those mobile speed camera's doing 59 in a 30, he got summond to go to court, and was given 6 points (& a large fine, carn't remember how much). Was told though if he was doing over 60 mark he would most likely got a ban. Fingers crossed for you jojo.
How you appear I think plays a big part of it in court. So dress smart if you have to go. (which I'm sure you already knew)

Mart said:
How you appear I think plays a big part of it in court. So dress smart if you have to go. (which I'm sure you already knew)

And turn up in a Taxi, just incase you get banned right? lol.

I'm just annoyed that the only part of the journey I could actually have sped at, and I got caught. :box:

jojo said:
And turn up in a Taxi, just incase you get banned right? lol.

lol, yep! Or get a friend to take you. Good luck mate

I recently had an issue with speeding and did a lot of reading up on it. My understanding is that you will get a fine and points..

Much like my last speeding offence, 72mph in a 40mph zone.

Got myself a court hearing, 6 points and 200quid fine. OUCH!!!

I got done on the A2 in the roadworks by bluewater 2 years ago, it was a posted 50 because of the non-existant roadworks (they'd finished by then) but I was doing 80mph in what i considered to be a 70. Police camera van got me and I got 6 points and 285 quid fine. plus 30 quid court costs.

Next day all 50mph signs had gone and road was back to 70mph. The local constabulary had obvously collected enough revenue.

Oh dear. WHat a bummer!

I think the best thing to do is just admit it, say sorry and hope they go easy on you. There is really not alot else you can do.

Good luck buddy

Rich

I agree with Rich, not much else you can do really.

If you're lucky they'll run out of time to take you to court, like they did with me :)

Kev.

That said, last time, I went past the filth with there laser gun at an indicated 120mph on my speedo, when I pulled up they showed me the gun and it said 94pmh, I was over the moon, lol they couldnt understand why I was so chuffed, tits

Of course I'm going to admit to it, no point denying it, I'll be over the moon with 3 points and a hefty fine, 6 points I'll still smile, but it just sounds aweful having 6 points added on in one go lol. I'm wanting to avoid a ban of course, It seems 59 in a 30 is points and fine territory, but I've had mixed stories from everyone, so the wait for this NIP is a bit daunting to say the least!

Bigman, is that an RS6 I see in your avatar?, must be like treading on thin ice with 10 points and driving such a beast lol.

And as always, there's always someone worse off...

245 kph
DSC04024.JPG

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but it's been over 2 weeks since being stopped by the law, and no sign of the NIP, am I in one of those anything upto 6 month wait for the NIP situations?

My mate got stopped the other day, he asked them to produce the calibration certifcate for the gun they used on him....They couldn't produce the certificate there and then, which they have to do, every day the gun should be calibrated and a certifcate produced.

He walked away with no points no fine...just a visit to MOT station to say spaced no. plates have been removed...

If the paper work comes through ask for the certifcate for the gun used on the day to prove it was working correctly...no certifcate no fine!!

He got told this info by a officer and his barister!

That's cool, but you still need balls to ask for the certs lol, I'm man enough to take what's coming though, in the form of points and a fine, if they threaten to ban me though, I might just ask if it was calibrated on the day after all lol.

fallmonk said:
10 points & a RS6 = LOOSE LICENCE! ...............

Carefull mate or plod will catch one more time!:busted_cop:

You could try getting hold of a foreign EU driving license, I 'exchanged' my UK one for a German license then re-applied to the DVLA for a new one so now have both but havent been pulled by the plod once in 3 years since I started driving Audis so cant work out what happens when the feds try to put points on either...

Nah, I was caught speeding when I was still on my South African licence - 3 points and £60. They sent my cheque and licence back to me saying that they could not endorse a foreign licence. When i finally got around to getting a UK licence, the 3 points were there waiting for me - sly uggers.

Yeah, if they actually stop you then they have 6 months to issue the NIP. You only have the 2 week window when they do it all by post so that you have some chance of remembering who was driving at the time. Although these days it's more a case of who in the family can afford to take the points rather than who was actually driving.

AndyMac said:
Yeah, if they actually stop you then they have 6 months to issue the NIP. You only have the 2 week window when they do it all by post so that you have some chance of remembering who was driving at the time. Although these days it's more a case of who in the family can afford to take the points rather than who was actually driving.

Thanks for the info Andy, might aswell get on with life than get stressed out and lose sleep waiting for this NIP then... :icon_thumright:

if you want to find some more information out and stuff this group might be able to help you www.5ive-o.org.. Its a car site run by cops and other people like that, they have a couple of Judges on their as well. All very friendly guys, and they give good advice.