CCZA TFSI Timing chain tensioner kits, what do I actually need

Genius

Reaction score
I've just picked up my TFSI and seen it has the CCZA engine which from doing a bit of reading suggests they are somewhat prone to tensioner failure which can do huge damage to the engine.

As I bought the car privately and therefore don't have a dealer warranty (and really don't trust purchased warranties) I'm thinking it could be prudent to address the potential issue before it can do any damage. Or am I just being paranoid and shouldn't bother?

So I did do a search on the forum but only one thread came up with the CCZA code RE the timing chain (it had failed and caused £3k damage to the engine) I thought I'd start a thread to find out what I need to do.

I have seen some kits at various prices and I'm completely lost as to what I actually need. There was a full kit of OEM parts sold here for £150 recently but then there are eBay kits both cheaper or more expensive. Some people saying replace everything some people saying you just need the actual tensioner which from what I can see is just a £30 part.

Also on fitting seeing in one post, it was all done and dusted full kit replaced in under 3 hours, but in another seen people paying upwards of £500 in labour alone...

I'm pretty lost with this so any help with part numbers, if there's a best place to buy the parts, what parts I actually need, any other preventative work I should be looking at as well as or instead of this the car is almost on 80k and I do plan on keeping at least 2 years and even then there's a good chance it would stay in the family if I get bored and want a change so do want to make sure it's gonna be reliable... But also don't want to chuck money at work that really doesn't want doing :confused new:

The car is a 2009 model if that makes any difference

You could do just the tensioner as that is the main cause of the problem, however some people prefer to go a bit further and use the Belt and braces approach and change the chain and chain guides as well especially if you keep the car for a good few years. The quoted prices vary due to how many parts you will change.
A very important part is the correct grade of oil, changed yearly, as the tensioner is operated by oil pressure.
Mine is CCZA as well and just on 50k miles so will need to do this job as well. I'll be taking AMD's advice as they will know the up to date parts numbers.

Thanks for the replies, is there a recommended dealer to get parts from, any forum discounts about?

Thanks for the replies, is there a recommended dealer to get parts from, any forum discounts about?

If you have access to Facebook Messenger, send MJR901 a message - he runs the parts department of a VAG Main Dealer and offers the best prices (typically always including shipping). He'll also be able to tell you exactly what you need.

If you have access to Facebook Messenger, send MJR901 a message - he runs the parts department of a VAG Main Dealer and offers the best prices (typically always including shipping). He'll also be able to tell you exactly what you need.

How do I contact him? Just had a look but his profile is greyed out, I have Facebook mrssenger on my phone but don't know how to contact a forum member with it

Ok, he may have moved to their Facebook shop profile. Hopefully the following helps:

FFDAF19E B0A2 4B91 B55D F6A8B032B7A7