Central Electric module problem

pyralid

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My first post on this forum. I have been reading this forum for a while and it's amazing. I have found a lot of information for doing several retrofits and other stuff. Thanks for that. But now I have a problem.

I was doing ch/lh -lights and footwell lights retrofit (thanks to RobinA3 for looms and lights) and when I had all installed it was vag com time. But I had a problem with vag com coding. My central electric byte 0 looks like in the picture below.

centelect1.jpg

As you can see there is only those two options. No options for footwell lights or ch/lh-lights. After doing some research on this forum I found a thread where was different central electric modules listed. I copied the list below.

8P0-907-279: 17 byte (base)
8P0-907-279-A: 17 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-B: 21 bytes (base)
8P0-907-279-C: 21 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-D: 17 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-E: 23 byte (base)
8P0-907-279-F: 23 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-H: 24 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-J: 30 bytes (base)
8P0-907-279-K: 30 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-L: 30 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-M: 30 bytes (base)
8P0-907-279-N: 30 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-P: 30 Byte (Highend)
8P0-907-279-Q: 30 Byte (Highend)

So according to this list my car has 30 bytes base central electric module. Does that mean that it doesnt support footwell or ch/lh lights? If so can I get them working by changing the module to 8P0-907-279-K or L or N or P or Q 30 Byte (Highend). And is there any differences between those 30byte highend modules with different last letter? What about changing the module. Is it hard?

Thanks for your help!

From what I have read on forum you need to speak with NHN, kfufu or N8 they seem the most knowlegeable in these things.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you press the down arrow, each time you press it the byte count increases by one and you will see a new list of alternatives each time.

I think ch/lh lights is an alternative later on in the coding (if that makes sense ) !!

If I'm wrong I'm sorry and no doubt someone will be along soon to put me right !!

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you press the down arrow, each time you press it the byte count increases by one and you will see a new list of alternatives each time.

I think ch/lh lights is an alternative later on in the coding (if that makes sense ) !!

If I'm wrong I'm sorry and no doubt someone will be along soon to put me right !!

Hi,

I think it should be on byte 0. At least all the guides say so. Like in this picture.

VCDS_09_CentElect001.JPG

And I have checked other bytes in central electric multiple times but cant find them anywhere else.

Last edited:
Ah - yes that is how mine looks ! I recall that the next 'page' may also have something to do with ch/lh as well.

Looks like your module does not support that function then.

Sorry mate !! :blush:

Thats odd. I have an A-rev 17bit version at the moment and it supports them. What version of VCDS are your using? Is it a genuine version of the lead or a clone version?

Swapping modules can be a straight swap or a potential rewire depening on what revision that you change to from.

Thats odd. I have an A-rev 17bit version at the moment and it supports them. What version of VCDS are your using? Is it a genuine version of the lead or a clone version?

Swapping modules can be a straight swap or a potential rewire depening on what revision that you change to from.

Hi,

I'm still a noob with these retrofit and vag com stuff thats why I asked about this. Its not my vag com cable, I'm loaning it from my friend's friend. I think its not a genuine one even tho it says ross tech hex usb when I plug it in to my laptop. The version is 805.1. So could that be the reason? I could ask someone who lives near me and has a genuine cabel if we could figure it out. Khufu your comment about your module gives me hope that I wouldnt have to change the module. Thanks.

Edit: But according to the list if you have a-rev module you have a highend module. I have base. Could that be the difference?

Last edited:
Is there anyone who has the same module that I have (8P0-907-279-J: 30 bytes (base)) or some other base module who could check if they have ch/lh -lights or footwell ligths as an option. That would help me a lot.

Mine has suffix F (23 bytes long - highend ) and shows the following options for Byte 0 :-

Bit 0 front foglights installed
Bit 1 Xenon headlights with shutter installed
Bit 2 Footwell lights installed
Bit 3 Daytime running lights (Scandinavia) active
Bit 4 Daytime running Lights (North America)
Bit 5 Assistance driving light Leaving home active
Bit 6 Rain/Light sensor installed
Bit 7 Coming home active

Essentially exactly the same as in your post #4

i am also confused about this issue, i assume that all A3's will support the footwell lights as it was an optional extra (lighting pack?). Plus no one else i have supplied the looms to have had the same problem.

When you look at the other byte numbers do none of them have the footwell lights setting?

i am also confused about this issue, i assume that all A3's will support the footwell lights as it was an optional extra (lighting pack?). Plus no one else i have supplied the looms to have had the same problem.

When you look at the other byte numbers do none of them have the footwell lights setting?

No they dont, I have checked them several times. I think I have to check it with someone else's vcds. Maybe there is something wrong with my cable or software. Thanks to everybody for helping me. This is an awesome forum. Ill try to find someone who has vcds and Ill let you know. Still if someone has a base cent ele module could tell if they have the bytes.

I'm just wondering if the old software version your using wont have the correct label file for that version of the module.

quite likely khufu theres been a coupla big label file updates over last quarter

quite likely khufu theres been a coupla big label file updates over last quarter

But shouldn't I still be able to code the module manually. Even if there isn't those labels. I mean if I know that the first byte should be coded 0C with my settings + footwell ligths. But when I try to put that code there, it gives me an error.

Today I'm going to try with another laptop and after that I'm trying to find someone near me with vcds latest version. Then I'll know if I need to change the whole module.

Hi,

I found an answer to my question from a german vcds forum. Here is a link to the thread Bordnetzsteuergerät 30 Byte und Nebelscheinwerfer Audi A3 geht nicht&# - Das deutsche VCDS Forum . I understand germany and they are speaking about the 8P0-907-279-J (same as I have) central electricity module. Someone is trying to find how to code front fog lights to his car and has that j-ending central electricity module. He has only the two options in his module that I have mentioned in the first post. He got an answer that the j-ending module doesnt support front fog lights, CH/LH-lights or rain/light-sensor.

So I have only one option left if I want to get those footwell lights or ch/lh-lights work. And that is to change the whole module. Anyone has any knowledge about what module should I look for?

If you go for the suffix 'F' module like mine then you will have all the options.

I think the crucial bit is that it must be a 'highend' module.

Hi,

I found an answer to my question from a german vcds forum. Here is a link to the thread Bordnetzsteuergerät 30 Byte und Nebelscheinwerfer Audi A3 geht nicht&# - Das deutsche VCDS Forum . I understand germany and they are speaking about the 8P0-907-279-J (same as I have) central electricity module. Someone is trying to find how to code front fog lights to his car and has that j-ending central electricity module. He has only the two options in his module that I have mentioned in the first post. He got an answer that the j-ending module doesnt support front fog lights, CH/LH-lights or rain/light-sensor.

So I have only one option left if I want to get those footwell lights or ch/lh-lights work. And that is to change the whole module. Anyone has any knowledge about what module should I look for?

Thats pretty lame from Audi to be honest! So my 17 bit one has more funtions than a 30 bit one????

All I know is K onwards are good bets but rare to find.

Thats pretty lame from Audi to be honest! So my 17 bit one has more funtions than a 30 bit one????

All I know is K onwards are good bets but rare to find.

But not 'M' which is base module and not 'highend'

Current ETKA version for UK is suffix 'P' which costs approx £250 from Audi

oh, learn something new everyday. I thought the byte level dictated level ie 17 base, 21 mid & 30 high :)

if someone makes me a good offer on my k module ill order an m version spankers form audi

1st I would like to commend this guy, he is the 1st guy/girl in a long long time who has actually pulled his finger out of his **** & actually done research before asking, then continued to research & actually provided more info from another forum, just proves the search facility actually works.

Ok so, its a basic CE so most likely it wont support the function you need, so yes only 1 way forward.

Phil, why you fitting an M mate as K supports the led drl as I had this before I got my P, I have a K for the SB to fit aswell.

I also will have a C high end for sale shortly that supports footwell & the other functions mentioned.

ahaaaaa, wish you'd told me you had a poxy F as I wouldnt of needed a K tbh

Thanks everybody for helping me. So do you guys think that K-module would be the easiest swap as it's also 30 bytes module? Havent seen them on sale so they are definately harder to find than modules with lower number of bytes. But could there be problems if I change the module to another one that has lower number of bytes? And what kind of problems, rewiring? For example in german ebay there is right now a, c, d, f and h highend modules for sale.

Edit: And thanks to NHN for his kind words. There is definately a lot of information in internet. It just takes a lot of time to find your answer and thats why people usually ask rather than try to find the answer themselves. And I should definately practice my german more because there is also an unbeliavable amount of information in the german audi forums.

Last edited:
So do you guys think that K-module would be the easiest swap as it's also 30 bytes module? Havent seen them on sale so they are definately harder to find than modules with lower number of bytes. But could there be problems if I change the module to another one that has lower number of bytes? And what kind of problems, rewiring? For example in german ebay there is right now a, c, d, f and h highend modules for sale.

Edit: And thanks to NHN for his kind words. There is definately a lot of information in internet.

Unless you want more upto date options then a C is good enough, F better, but its really upto you mate as these both support your current mod.

It just takes a lot of time to find your answer and thats why people usually ask rather than try to find the answer themselves

Translated into 1 english word: LAZINESS

Unless you want more upto date options then a C is good enough, F better, but its really upto you mate as these both support your current mod.

Okay, do you know if it should be just plug and play with c or f module? I was thinking about adding those footwell and ch/lh lights and then possibly front foglights.

Plugnplay maybe not if going from basic to high, but should be fine, albeit will need coding for sure.

Hi,

finally got a new central electricity module from germany. Bought a c type module because it was very cheap and I didnt even find anyone selling k type modules or any other 30 byte highend module.

I thought I'm going to try to fit the new module to my car on sunday. I was just wondering that is there something I be aware of before I'm going to try to replace the central electricity module. Or is it just that I need to uplug the battery, remove the old module, replace the new one and after that code the new module with vag com? How is the module attached to the car? I found an old thread on this forum that was considering the ce module coding (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...74871-central-electronic-module-coding-2.html). There was some problems with coding but what do you think is there problems on my case? I'm changing the modules other way because I'm going from 30 byte module to 21 byte module. But in my car there isn't any extras.

From what I have read on forum you need to speak with NHN, kfufu or N8 they seem the most knowlegeable in these things.

Correction:

NHN knows a fair bit about pizza, pasta and nappies these days, Khufu can correctly spot any type of tartan at 300 yards after 72 pints of SB, and Nath knows about purple wheels...

Hi,

finally got a new central electricity module from germany. Bought a c type module because it was very cheap and I didnt even find anyone selling k type modules or any other 30 byte highend module.

I thought I'm going to try to fit the new module to my car on sunday. I was just wondering that is there something I be aware of before I'm going to try to replace the central electricity module. Or is it just that I need to uplug the battery, remove the old module, replace the new one and after that code the new module with vag com? How is the module attached to the car? I found an old thread on this forum that was considering the ce module coding (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...74871-central-electronic-module-coding-2.html). There was some problems with coding but what do you think is there problems on my case? I'm changing the modules other way because I'm going from 30 byte module to 21 byte module. But in my car there isn't any extras.

You need to note down your current coding & adaptation channel settings, you can do a controller map in main menu for this, then remove old, swap over with new which is plugnplay, make sure relays are in right places at front then go into new module & code it as per your car features, that should be that.

Didn't have time to do the replacement on weekend but I did it yesterday. It really was that easy as NHN said. Before I started I did a screenshot from every byte from the old CE module so it was easy to check those codings when I was coding the new one. Adaptations I took from the controller map that NHN adviced.

First disconnected battery then just took the old one out (it is attached with two plastic clips), disconnected the cables, connected the realys from the old one to the new one, connected the cabels to the new one (no worries to connect wrong cabels because every connector is a bit different) and finally coded the new one. Had a lot of fault codes when I first time started the car because there was a lot of things coded to the new CE module that I dont have on my car. But after coding the setup of my car everything worked and the fault codes were gone. Got my footwell lights and ch/lh lights finally working! Been working on it for over 2 months so very happy about it. Only thing I lost was the comfort menu from my dis. I think it cant be coded if you have the C type module but I dont really need it.

Thanks to everybody who helped me, especially thanks to NHN!

Theres an option for extended DIS functions in the instruments module, maybe swapping across has unticked the option?