Central Locking.

Stuart Taylor

Reaction score
Hello.

I have an issue with my central locking.
When I unlocked the car the red light was flashing. I went for a drive and upon my return to where I park, I got out the car, locked it using the key in the door lock but no flashing red light came on and when I tried the rear door which I opened earlier it was not locked along with the 3 other doors.
What can cause this issue?
The only unusual thing I did this morning was to jump start the car using a jump start pack and that was it.
My key fob buttons don’t work as I have tried a few times to sync them to the car using the YouTube videos but none of them worked when following the procedure.
Any assistance appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I'd try the key fob batteries first. Second I would guess that the driver's door "lock module" may be faulty - these modules are a well known fault across the whole VAG range - I've replaced 2 of mine. Interrogating the car's ECU with something like Carista will at least point to a faulty module without perhaps giving the full detail one might get from VAG specific software.

Check for any water ingress in front passenger floorpan.

Hello,

The fob battery is brand new but I cannot use the fob because I cannot get it to synchronise with the car to allow it to operate the central locking.
I did check the carpet in front of the passenger seat for water, but it was dry.

Have you tried putting the key in the ignition
Turn but do not start the car, push the open and close buttons about 3 times, that will sink the key to the car.

Have you tried putting the key in the ignition
Turn but do not start the car, push the open and close buttons about 3 times, that will sink the key to the car.
I will give that a try and see if that links the car to the key fob. Thank you for the reply.

So what happened? any update.
Well, it just gets stranger. I had the old car battery removed and had fitted a new YUASA battery. The central locking started to work again then after a few days of the car sitting it then stopped. I’m thinking the new battery might be slightly under charged so require to take the car for a good long drive to charge it back up and see how things go from there. I’m going to put a Solar Powered battery charger on the rear parcel shelf then plug it into the OBD port to trickle charge the battery as the car is mainly used for short distance driving due to my health. I will then monitor the door locking situation.