Centre console glossy plastic?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
Has anyone done anything about that horrible black plastic centre console area?

It scratches and gets dirty and covered in fingerprints and I want to class it up!

After my car had the ppf done, did ask and was told, they could have laid a piece of ppf or similar as an idea. Still considering and being careful with the scratchy keys.

Mine came with an Audi cloth in the glove box. Cleans up OK and not noticed any scratches so far.

Mine came with an Audi cloth in the glove box. Cleans up OK and not noticed any scratches so far.

Same here, keys don’t go anywhere near it.

If you start worrying about that then it’s a slippery slope as where do you stop ? Finger prints on the mmi / gloss panels either side lol

You can get too obsessed about these things that in real world terms not an issue.

If it marks over time, I’ll get the nano machine out and polish it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cooperp, RSt3ve, RichK and 3 others
I thought about it before my car landed but in all honesty and with a little care you never need to touch it? I saw an AH youtube where it looked like he deliberately made a mess on it...........such a f banker :)

Reactions: 3vans, RSt3ve and RichK
Don’t understand why you actually need to touch it either. You push a button and pull a lever. No need to touch the black gloss.

Reactions: RSt3ve and Mike.46
I don't actually have any problem with it - ovbiously had it in the 8Y S3 too and it's not hard to keep scratch free. Dust on the other hand lol - don't attempt to wipe it down when it's covered in dust. Get a tin of compressed air onto it first. I then use an Armorall Polishing Cloth on it. As soft as!

Reactions: cooperp, RSt3ve, RS03??? and 2 others
Same as you Guys - I have a microfibre cloth in the car and use it mainly to buff finger marks off the MMI screen when they build up to a level that bugs me.
The black plastic area doesn't really get finger marks on it and certainly no scratches.

Reactions: 8YARWY
I worry about you all if you think that scratch magnet is acceptable

I agree about the cloth to wipe down fingerprints.

I had a chat with Royal Steering Wheels - He said £220 approx to retrim the wheel and they would put the 8V wheel on my car while they work on it. He said they may even be able to convert to a flat bottom (although I’m not sure how!). My only issue here is driving around in a car without an airbag for a week and all the error messages!

Time for the ignore user button…….

Just looked at mine, 3.5 months in, not cleaned interior yet, used every day 1500 miles covered.

No scratches, minimal dust and no fingerprints.

Yes it is a bit of a poor design choice but it's not terrible.

If in doubt, PPF it, but there's really no need unless you treat your interior like a skip.

Reactions: Keano04, Mike.46, RichK and 2 others
Just looked at mine, 3.5 months in, not cleaned interior yet, used every day 1500 miles covered.

No scratches, minimal dust and no fingerprints.

Yes it is a bit of a poor design choice but it's not terrible.

If in doubt, PPF it, but there's really no need unless you treat your interior like a skip.

Always amazes me what people will find to pick / moan at……

Common sense approach to these things always best.

Reactions: Mike.46, RichK, RS03??? and 1 other person
I go for very very gentle wipe with Microfibre cloth then bit more pressure (but still gently) to wipe off finger prints once (I agree not sure how they get there but normally some around the gearlever).

the other alternative to keep centre console clean............keep car in garage and never drive it :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan, RSt3ve and 8YARWY
I bought the PPF kit from AliExpress for the plastics and it’s done a great job

Reactions: shahaf2911 and 3vans
Reactions: cooperp and shahaf2911
Lol hell no, I just did the shiny black plastic. I didn’t do the screen as I’m not a fan of that.
I was gonna say, that would be real anal to do all the buttons as well

I think an anti-glare protector for the screen would be good because on a sunny day with the roof open (first world problems) it is almost impossible to see the infotainment!

I think an anti-glare protector for the screen would be good because on a sunny day with the roof open (first world problems) it is almost impossible to see the infotainment!
yup so hard to see anything

Reactions: Spinstorm
Even at max brightness, it isn’t enough to see in direct sunlight. The screen is exactly at the position where the sun reflects.

Not noticed that issue with mine tbh. How tall are you? Might be linked to your height perhaps?

LOL @Keano04 & @HulkRS3 - Sunroof and blind fully open on a sunny day and the sun right overhead and it will give so much glare you can’t read it.

Unless it is never sunny where you live…

LOL @Keano04 & @HulkRS3 - Sunroof and blind fully open on a sunny day and the sun right overhead and it will give so much glare you can’t read it.

I had this problem the other day, pano open, blind open, sunny day, couldn’t see the mmi screen due to glare. Not a problem though as I still had cockpit plus and HUD for sat nav. Lucky Audi gave us alternatives :)

Tbh I wasn’t taking the **** it was a genuine question as the angle of the sun may be such that the glare is reduced for some vs others depending on height.

Reactions: Spinstorm