Ceramic Coating Advice Please

Mark Allen

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've just spent the most I ever have done on a used Q3 and want to protect its looks so I'm going to get it ceramic coated by a local detailer.

One quick question before I do however. The wife's car park at work is covered in trees and sap is a real problem. I don't want to spend a decent chunk of money on a ceramic coating if the sap will eat away at it in no time.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Will the coating be up to the job and the sap easy to remove? - will be going for Gtechniq Ultra.
Thanks in advance.

Hi All,
I've just spent the most I ever have done on a used Q3 and want to protect its looks so I'm going to get it ceramic coated by a local detailer.

One quick question before I do however. The wife's car park at work is covered in trees and sap is a real problem. I don't want to spend a decent chunk of money on a ceramic coating if the sap will eat away at it in no time.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Will the coating be up to the job and the sap easy to remove? - will be going for Gtechniq Ultra.
Thanks in advance.

Ceramic coating certainly going to give the paint a fighting chance, but you will obviously need to maintain the coating and car so it performs. Worse than tree sap would be bird sh**, that I try and get off as soon as I spot it on my coated car

Reactions: V6_Man and Mark Allen
Ceramic coating certainly going to give the paint a fighting chance, but you will obviously need to maintain the coating and car so it performs. Worse than tree sap would be bird sh**, that I try and get off as soon as I spot it on my coated car
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I'm sure the detailer will recommend but what are the best products to maintain coated paintwork. Completely new to all this.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I'm sure the detailer will recommend but what are the best products to maintain coated paintwork. Completely new to all this.

It varies by coating, but usually a decent neutral shampoo like CarPro Reset, GTechniq Gwash etc. And then usually just a ceramic top up to maintain the water run off and beading like Gyeon Cure, CarPro Reload etc.

The detailer should tell you how best to maintain and with which products, but the coating means easier to wash, contaminants don’t stick as easily. Do a few google searches and watch some YouTube videos, plenty out there.

Everyone has their opinion and thinks the products they use are the best etc, the key is getting a well rated coating (Gtechniq is very popular) and then simple maintenance of that coating will mean it lasts and car looks good

Reactions: Mark Allen and V6_Man
It varies by coating, but usually a decent neutral shampoo like CarPro Reset, GTechniq Gwash etc. And then usually just a ceramic top up to maintain the water run off and beading like Gyeon Cure, CarPro Reload etc.

The detailer should tell you how best to maintain and with which products, but the coating means easier to wash, contaminants don’t stick as easily. Do a few google searches and watch some YouTube videos, plenty out there.

Everyone has their opinion and thinks the products they use are the best etc, the key is getting a well rated coating (Gtechniq is very popular) and then simple maintenance of that coating will mean it lasts and car looks good
Thanks mate, that's really helpful :thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan
I have recently used Labocosmetica #purifica on coated and non coated cars. It helps remove limescale from tap water & mineral deposits from rain. For non coated (or indeed for the prep for the application) it does a great job at removing these to help get the best bond for any product you intend to use.

For cars where the coating appears to be failing, it is usually a build up of contaminants that clog the surface. I have used this as part of my pre wash process to restore the hydrophobic properties to like they were on the day they were installed.

Polish 20211105 122519855

This is a customers DB11 it was used on. Honestly it is an incredible product (I use it though a separate foam lance) and does exactly what it was developed for. Anyone with a ceramic coated car should have this IMO

Reactions: Mark Allen
Old thread but thought I would add a recommendation for Carpro Reload for easy maintenance of a ceramic coating. It really is fantastic in my experience and leaves a super glossy finish.

I had my S1 polished and coated with CQuart 3.0 a couple of months back and started maintaining with reload this week (probably unnescessarily this early as the deatiler stated up to a year's protection without top up and I still have nice beading). It takes around 15 minutes to do the whole car and it gleams afterwards and can be used on windows and plastics too according to the info online, I don't use it on the windscreen but do everywhere else!

My full maintenance wash routine is:

• Snow foam first - Polar Blast by Auto Glym (ph neutral)
  • Rinse after allowing to sit for 10 mins or so
  • Contact wash with multiple mitts so I never dip a dirty mit back into the bucket using Carpro reset (ph neutral)
  • Rinse
  • Dry with a huge leaf blower lol (one of the green and grey Ego blowers, 580 I think - so satisying on a ceramic coated car)
  • Carpro Reset - use as little as possible - one spray per panel, one microfiber to wipe on (few sprays on this one at the start) and a few dry ones to buff off

Super easy routine and doesn't take long. Be careful with reset on dark paint though as too much can leave streaks but if you are quick and work in small sections at a time it's no problem and easy. Can be diluted too 1/1. It's supposed to last for up to 6 months but some reports say only a few weeks but I used so little that I will top up every few washes going forward.