Ceramic coatings

The Pro only versions are made for the industry to keep the money cogs turning ie keeps them in a well paid job, your car didn't take the best part of the week to work on from start to finish, especially if it was a new car, heat lamps are there to accelerate the curing process
Again it's not rocket science to apply nor is it difficult to prep a new cars paint, yeah indoors is a must for applications but it can be done very successfully outdoors given the proper weather

Well that’s obviously a cynical view but the process it went through was full paint correction (undoing the dealers prep). A day to coat it. Then two days inside to cure. The coating itself is only about £70 a bottle. The total including labour is £250 but it’s obviously the prep involved that is labour intensive.

After I got it back I was only allowed to jet wash it for two days. No contact.

In terms of weekly washing. I don’t always do a full wash-mitt wash. I’ll sometimes just snowfoam it and blast with the jet washer afterwards.

In terms of a full wash I’ll use Reload or Hydrofoam to protect the coating and keep that sacrificial layer on top as best as possible.

@jassyo06 have a loot at Defined Details / Gordon Muir online and in the detailing forums. He’s a bit of a mad scientist and pretty much reknowned as one of the best there is in the central belt and he’s not a rabid advocate for ceramic coatings either. He’s been on the go well before they were invented.

Last edited:
Reactions: RS5 JON, tcardio, Jassyo06 and 2 others
"Sacrificial layer", I like that. The very words I was searching for...

Reactions: NevMan and Evil Derboy