Ceramic or not to ceramic... that is the question

@jassyo06 ....Yes mate, ceramic coatings can be applied by non professionals. As long as you prepare the paint surface properly and that means removal of all contaminants and imperfections. Next, you apply the ceramic coatings and allowing for drying times etc. your car looks great. The problem is many owners do not have a heated, covered garage, equipment and expertise in order to do this type of finish work.
As an aside I am polishing and waxing my car today and yes it is cold and miserable weather, but I am fortunate in having a heated underground heated car wash area in my building.

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, jungle650, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Funny how all golfs end up modded to the max..lo
1407679339_vw_still1.jpg

Burberry baseball cap will be on Rob's Crimbo list this year haha

PMSL - you’ve been missed matey.

......Coming up to 1st year of wedded bliss lol. So she's doubly excited haha

Yeah first one is high expectations !!!!! ;o)

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, jungle650 and Jassyo06
The ceramics vs professionals paragraph I posted was in reference to some of the higher end ones not being available to purchase as a consumer product and you actually need accreditation to buy them like some of the products others and myself have opted for on here.

@pburv ....He will be back....after one year of newly wedded bliss. :blink::whip::whistle2: :smile new: His thoughts will turn to life's realities and serious things, such as cars and poking good fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Had mine done at White Details and had it coated with GTechniq Crystal Syrum and EXO V3 (CS Black), was there for 3 days. Also had the glass, wheels and interior all treated/coated.

Set me back £650

wRu1Yll.jpg

Jim is a top guy! Love watching his vlogs though - just a pitty I can’t take my car there because he’s too far away from me as I’m in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim is a top guy! Love watching his vlogs though - just a pitty I can’t take my car there because he’s too far away from me as I’m in London.

Another white detail fan here to as well mate, I watched a couple of his videos now and when I do the detail on my rs3 in the spring I will certainly look at investing in a rotary polisher along side my DA. Seems this is something else I need to learn how to do.

The ceramics vs professionals paragraph I posted was in reference to some of the higher end ones not being available to purchase as a consumer product and you actually need accreditation to buy them like some of the products others and myself have opted for on here.
The crystal serum black sets within a minute I believe so you have to be on the ball othewise it will more that likely be wet sanding time.

@pburv ....He will be back....after one year of newly wedded bliss. :blink::whip::whistle2: :smile new: His thoughts will turn to life's realities and serious things, such as cars and poking good fun.
haha too true....I'ts been a long 12 months:sadlike:...Lot's of good fun but not enough poking:whistle2:......Oh and not many cars.:blow:

Reactions: Flying Scotsman

It was a 1h 45m drive for me lol

He's too busy doing his impersonation of Bob Dec Niro...... Out in the worldermess lol

Reactions: pburv and Flying Scotsman
The crystal serum black sets within a minute I believe so you have to be on the ball othewise it will more that likely be wet sanding time.
Can't set within a minute mate for example applying to one panel at a time..... by the time you coat it...the product can't set, as it's got to be then spread evenly over the panel and excess removed with a Microfiber cloth.....

Had mine done at White Details and had it coated with GTechniq Crystal Syrum and EXO V3 (CS Black), was there for 3 days. Also had the glass, wheels and interior all treated/coated.

Set me back £650

wRu1Yll.jpg
I have watched a bit of his YouTube channel and he is an absolute genius. What he does is amazing. Those two Astons recently were incredible. The attention to detail is mind blowing. Your car looks brilliant.

Reactions: DW81
Can't set within a minute mate for example applying to one panel at a time..... by the time you coat it...the product can't set, as it's got to be then spread evenly over the panel and excess removed with a Microfiber cloth.....
I probably heard it wrong then jassey. I see it’s a apply then wipe of very quickly product so maybe it gets very tacky very quickly, then Becomes a nightmare to buff off if left for to long

Reactions: Jassyo06
I have watched a bit of his YouTube channel and he is an absolute genius. What he does is amazing. Those two Astons recently were incredible. The attention to detail is mind blowing. Your car looks brilliant.
Couldn’t agree more, explains things very easily and also tells you what pads compounds his using. I’ve certainly learnt a few things from those vlogs, a master of his trade.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Broonie22
I probably heard it wrong then jassey. I see it’s a apply then wipe of very quickly product so maybe it gets very tacky very quickly, then Becomes a nightmare to buff off if left for to long

It becomes very grabby and time to get to that stage varies for all of them...... Going to treat myself to some detailing tools in January.... Probably cost the same as some on here who have paid for a expensive detail, but at least you have all the toys lol l wouldn't give it second thought applying any of these so called pro detailer products only...... As l think it's a rip off.....

Reactions: T-800, pburv, Rob2k68 and 2 others

Cheers mate, yeah he's a good guy. Made him a set of show plates to use for the cars he does - you may have seen them on his vlogs.

It becomes very grabby and time to get to that stage varies for all of them...... Going to treat myself to some detailing tools in January.... Probably cost the same as some on here who have paid for a expensive detail, but at least you have all the toys lol l wouldn't give it second thought applying any of these so called pro detailer products only...... As l think it's a rip off.....

Only GTechniq one I've seen that's accredited only in Crystal Serum, the rest can be DIY.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Just get it done and done properly:
FB IMG 1504457850562

Reactions: Jimbo10, Bristle Hound, Broonie22 and 1 other person

or perhaps good fun poking ......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Cheers mate, yeah he's a good guy. Made him a set of show plates to use for the cars he does - you may have seen them on his vlogs.

Only GTechniq one I've seen that's accredited only in Crystal Serum, the rest can be DIY.

All top brands have a pro only coating mate Gyeon, Kamikaze, CQ Quartz, Fireball.... I laugh when watching them with the masks on in there videos applying the kit..... It's not exactly mustard gas lol

Reactions: T-800, Tom.H and pburv
New car detail with Crystal Serum Light and Exo v3 done by Barry @ AutoDetox very pleased with the results....

View attachment 143665

Had Gyeon MOHS+ last time round and thought I’d try something else.
Looks great....what a shine. Missing some tyre dressing though!

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and pburv

He comes across as really decent in his vlogs. Has a real passion for doing the very best he can. I am in Dundee so even less chance of him doing my car unfortunately.

I did notice those show plates recently. Very impressive. Nice touch. He comes across as a good guy. Imagine it is very interesting chatting to him.

@Rob2k68 - ^ Stunning Rob !
Now you gotta keep it like that buddy ;) :D

Thanks BH :friends:

It was like that for all of 5 seconds before going out in 4 inches of snow but at least the coating was there to protect it and I got to see it beading :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Jassyo06
If that's the case You need to go and visit some Audi showrooms mate

If I were on a quest to find the nicest red Audi then I might visit some showrooms...but I'm not...so I won't.

I'll let you know when I spot a nicer one

So, I had my car detailed and ceramic coated yesterday by Stefan from AV detailing. He was amazing! Worked so hard and I’m thrilled with the result. He’s mobile, but did it for me at my Audi garage where they let him use a private repair bay. For what I paid for, I am really happy and highly recommend him. I know there will be people who have paid a lot more, and they may have used different products etc. But for what I have had, I feel the results of my car finish in comparison to the price are amazing. It was a snow foam clean, stage one machine polish and a ceramic coat application. All for £350, I don’t think you can go wrong! Anyway, you can judge for yourselves by the pictures... so in answer to my original question, definitely ceramic coat!!!!

Attachments

• FEA51D2D-9038-4B4D-96C8-BA80EB3ED758.jpeg
    FEA51D2D-9038-4B4D-96C8-BA80EB3ED758.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 153
  • F461403D-4E3E-49AE-A5A4-A5B5C01A95AC.jpeg
    F461403D-4E3E-49AE-A5A4-A5B5C01A95AC.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 34764CB6-678A-492E-9857-6067E31BCAC0.jpeg
    34764CB6-678A-492E-9857-6067E31BCAC0.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: stevefj, daydotz, Broonie22 and 4 others
So, I had my car detailed and ceramic coated yesterday by Stefan from AV detailing. He was amazing! Worked so hard and I’m thrilled with the result. He’s mobile, but did it for me at my Audi garage where they let him use a private repair bay. For what I paid for, I am really happy and highly recommend him. I know there will be people who have paid a lot more, and they may have used different products etc. But for what I have had, I feel the results of my car finish in comparison to the price are amazing. It was a snow foam clean, stage one machine polish and a ceramic coat application. All for £350, I don’t think you can go wrong! Anyway, you can judge for yourselves by the pictures... so in answer to my original question, definitely ceramic coat!!!!
Awesome ye can't ask for more than that mate, anything more than £500 bangers then they are over charging especially on a new car detail

Reactions: Rob2k68, Bristle Hound and Dazs87

That looks stunning - some of the best Navarra pics I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks flawless mate, very very good price too I might add. What coating did he use? I will say that your maintenance washing will be a much easier and enjoyable affair now mate.

Looks flawless mate, very very good price too I might add. What coating did he use? I will say that your maintenance washing will be a much easier and enjoyable affair now mate.

Really happy with the results! It’s called Aspect 9H ceramic coating... it was developed by the company and is super quick to cure and the results are great. IMO it’s as good a finish as I’ve seen on any other products. Time will tell of course, but the guys at Aspect Valeting were super helpful and knowledgeable and it doesn’t seem like they’ve built their business on ripping people off with substandard products. I believe in getting what you pay for, but this time I’m happy I went with the cheaper option!

Reactions: DW81
That is fantastic. Your car looks amazing.

Really happy with the results! It’s called Aspect 9H ceramic coating... it was developed by the company and is super quick to cure and the results are great. IMO it’s as good a finish as I’ve seen on any other products. Time will tell of course, but the guys at Aspect Valeting were super helpful and knowledgeable and it doesn’t seem like they’ve built their business on ripping people off with substandard products. I believe in getting what you pay for, but this time I’m happy I went with the cheaper option!

Looks like a fabulous outcome mate - Navarra when properly cleaned looks awesome. As long as you're happy with the service, results and what you paid is all that matters.
We only paid what we did as the way Audi had left the car after 'cleaning and preparing' it prior to our collecting it was an utter shambles - they ended up having paid half the £750+vat cost to make good.

Reactions: Dazs87