Help Please [CGLC] 177HP Doesn't hold the temperature below +10C

snky1987

Reaction score
My car has been recalled with this heating element issue 3 months ago. Before temperatures dropped below +10C I did not pay attention to engine temperature because it was always ok.

No, when temps. dropped below +10C I noticed that my car hardly heats up (reaches 70C after 20min of driving incl. motorway) and it drops the temperature on traffic lights or slow city drive (30mph). When I get to work after 40 min. driving I am still at 70C on the scale.

I heard about the issues with thermostat (VW OE-03L 121 111 AD & VW OE-03L 121 111 N) and that it could cause similar issues.

Do you think it could be thermostat or the issue with suppl. heating element that Audi replaced 3 months ago ?

Thank you in advance for any information

Every diesel I've owned so far has had thermostat issues at some point. If you do replace make sure you buy genuine OEM replacements.

Every diesel I've owned so far has had thermostat issues at some point. If you do replace make sure you buy genuine OEM replacements.

Thanks. That makes sense and is the cheapest thing to start with. Which one would you recommend ? I have plenty of options but apart of Hella and FACET I do not know these companies:

Mahle (£22.59)
Gates (£21.81)
Behr (£23.37)
Colorstat (£24.37)
EPS (£24.93)
Metzger (£28.05)
Hella (£31.39)
KW Electric (£33.32)
Meat&Doria (£35.85)
FACET (£35)
Triscan (£35.25)

I'd be getting on to Audi parts dept to see how much they quote quite often they aren't too bad on prices. Not sure what brand will be on now but you could get the part number off it?

Reactions: snky1987
I replaced both thermostats the main one and the one at the back of engine made no difference

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My car has been recalled with this heating element issue 3 months ago. Before temperatures dropped below +10C I did not pay attention to engine temperature because it was always ok.

No, when temps. dropped below +10C I noticed that my car hardly heats up (reaches 70C after 20min of driving incl. motorway) and it drops the temperature on traffic lights or slow city drive (30mph). When I get to work after 40 min. driving I am still at 70C on the scale.

I heard about the issues with thermostat (VW OE-03L 121 111 AD & VW OE-03L 121 111 N) and that it could cause similar issues.

Do you think it could be thermostat or the issue with suppl. heating element that Audi replaced 3 months ago ?

Thank you in advance for any information

Mine has this problem too, I have had the supplementary heater recall done too, but can't remember if this issue started before or after that as it was a couple years ago.

Mine usually sits around 50 degrees, won't even hit 90 if I kick its head in!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well mine will hit 90 eventually, but it's very sluggish getting there. My work is a 30+ mile trip with at least 20+ miles on the motorway. On a cold day, I can do the entire motorway run without it hitting 90, then when I get off the motorway it starts dropping down again before going up again, sometimes I've even made it all the way to work without it hitting 90.

Doesn't seem normal to me, but it's my first diesel so wasn't sure. I haven't tried getting it diagnosed, instead have just put up with increased fuel burn.

I have the same problem with my A6 C7's CGLC engine - It does not snow or get very cold where I live, but it is still very hard to hit four dashes on coolant temp gauge. Even if it somehow hits four dashes, it will very quickly drop to three or even two when I am not on the throttle. I changed the main thermostat 3 weeks ago but problem did not go away. Now I am planning to change the EGR's thermostat (1K0121113A), but I am not sure if that will indeed solve the problem for me. I know for some, changing both thermostats solved the problem, however I have also read cases where changing both thermostats did not solve the issue.

Some people, including my local Audi dealership, say it's normal for diesel engine to warm up slowly or be affected by cold weather. But when I first purchased my car 10 years ago there was no such issue. My brother's Q5 has the same CGLC engine with the difference being quattro and S-tronic, and his car does not have the issue I have.

I logged the Q5 and my A6's coolant temp(G62) and radiator outlet temp(G83) using VCDS. I notice for Q5 the coolant temp will hit 90C after 15 minutes of driving and radiator outlet temp remains at 40C and won't hit 60C until after 40 minutes of driving. However for my car both coolant temp and radiator outlet temp increase together after engine start, and after 45min/30km of driving, coolant temp only hits 76C and radiator outlet temp fluctuates between 50 and 80C.

Any suggestion? Could the problem be caused by EGR thermostat stuck open? Cheers.