chain belt help!

marwayg

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got an audi a3 3.2 V6 for sale... its on 65K milage, but the dealer im speaking to is asking for proof of the chain timing belt having been done. He wants an invoice - otherwise he will charge me £350-400 on top of my part exchange.

I bought the car last year september and the previous owner assured me he had it done. But no maintainance invoices/reciepts were given to me with the car. I know it has been done definately, but is there any way to aquire an invoice? or a way to check that it has been done??

I tried to get in contact with the previous owner, but no response :(

Cheers!

If the timing chain was replaced by an Audi garage, then all you have to do is to take it to any Audi garage service department, and with the car's VIN number they will be able to tell you if it is recorded, and when it was done. If this does not show any timing chain change, then your only option is to redouble your effort to contact the previous owner and ask where the work was done. I assume the previous owner has not evaporated or been eaten by martians. Good luck mate.

LOL i hope he hasnt been eaten by martians: i need my invoice!
If the car has had FSH by audi then willl it have had its timing chain done by them too? If so, can i simply drive to an audi garage and ask them ? + where can i find this VIN number?

Yes, any authorised Audi garage can check on your car's service history. Audi will record any service done by them. Just go to the service department and ask. However, if the chain has been replaced by an independent garage, it will not show up on the Audi computer. The VIN number is on the windscreen and also I believe in the service book. Cheers.

As above, look at the bottom corner of your windscreen on the passenger side. Moulded into the dashboard is a long number consisting of letters and numbers. That is the VIN. It will look something like this;
VSSZZZ6LZ8R123456

i would have thought you would be able to get the dealer to drop this in this present climate is it for new car ?

Sounds like they're using it as an excuse to take some more money out of you. The chains are supposed to be good for the life of the engine, and if yours was to go wrong it would cost a lot more than £500 to fix. No matter how much you want what they've got you should just set your demands, and be prepared to walk if they won't meet them. They need your business more than you need theirs.