Change or not to change

Pook

Reaction score
Well to keep it brief - bought a brand new A3 Saloon 2.0 stronic in Glacier White only 11 months ago, loads of extras (including Gtechniq detail) and I threw down a 5K deposit. Problem is I really can't stop thinking about a Sepang Blue S3 Saloon so tempted to go second hand (16 plate maybe) to get the blue and also the earlier tax. Can't help thinking this would be financial suicide however after only 11 months of ownership. Im thinking a 1 yr old top spec is probs gonna be in the 30K region plus the higher interest rate. Would appreciate people's thoughts. Thanks.

I'm not a mathematician but I think your right in that it will no doubt cost you to change so early in to your agreement! Why did you not just go for the S3 in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is it you think you're missing? Surely it's not worth it just for the colour?

Well to keep it brief - bought a brand new A3 Saloon 2.0 stronic in Glacier White only 11 months ago, loads of extras (including Gtechniq detail) and I threw down a 5K deposit. Problem is I really can't stop thinking about a Sepang Blue S3 Saloon so tempted to go second hand (16 plate maybe) to get the blue and also the earlier tax. Can't help thinking this would be financial suicide however after only 11 months of ownership. Im thinking a 1 yr old top spec is probs gonna be in the 30K region plus the higher interest rate. Would appreciate people's thoughts. Thanks.

Selling your A3 privately will be the best way out of it,it's actually the only way without shelling out a lot of money, advertise it on Autotrader there's a few companies that wil buy it off you for a good price probably £3k or more than what Audi will offer in a trade in

Reactions: pburv
I found a top spec 16plate alone Saloon stronic 1.8 tfsi used approved with 2,000 miles on the clock for £28k. So trade in would be about £25-26k I guess max. I've found an S3 for 30k which is the same age

It wouldn't be sensible to change no, but if you are that serious to do so then do it.. you can't take it with you.

The only big loss would be your £5k deposit.

So your looking at an £8k loss from figures shown above? £5k deposit gone and price difference is around £3k? why not remap your existing car and then wrap it in sepang blue? a wrap might give you some sort of satisfaction and keep the existing white pristine for when you sell it. Personally speaking, £8k is a lot of money to loose for what will essentially be the same car but with a different engine. If it was a 911/cayman or something worthwhile then ok, but once you sit in the drivers seat of your second hand S3, start doing 20mpg opposed to 50 with an £8k hole in your pocket i reckon you will regret it! Plus your extras on your current A3 seem really good. It will be hard to get those at a good price so figures are prob conservative.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Reggieboy71, Flying Scotsman and 1 other person
I'm not a mathematician but I think your right in that it will no doubt cost you to change so early in to your agreement! Why did you not just go for the S3 in the first place?

I should have done tbh then no regrets lol :cry:

What is it you think you're missing? Surely it's not worth it just for the colour?

The colour and the exclusivity of the S3 badge lol, cos it's not the speed tbh cos my 2.0TDI has oodles of torque which I love.

Selling your A3 privately will be the best way out of it,it's actually the only way without shelling out a lot of money, advertise it on Autotrader there's a few companies that wil buy it off you for a good price probably £3k or more than what Audi will offer in a trade in

Wowsa as much as 3K, that's a big difference.

I found a top spec 16plate alone Saloon stronic 1.8 tfsi used approved with 2,000 miles on the clock for £28k. So trade in would be about £25-26k I guess max. I've found an S3 for 30k which is the same age

I reckon I would struggle to get that off audi, if I did I would have some equity in it probably.

So your looking at an £8k loss from figures shown above? £5k deposit gone and price difference is around £3k? why not remap your existing car and then wrap it in sepang blue? a wrap might give you some sort of satisfaction and keep the existing white pristine for when you sell it. Personally speaking, £8k is a lot of money to loose for what will essentially be the same car but with a different engine. If it was a 911/cayman or something worthwhile then ok, but once you sit in the drivers seat of your second hand S3, start doing 20mpg opposed to 50 with an £8k hole in your pocket i reckon you will regret it! Plus your extras on your current A3 seem really good. It will be hard to get those at a good price so figures are prob conservative.

I'm totally onboard with all of your post onwards from "once you sit in the drivers seat" because I think all of that is probably true. The first bit however, am I really losing 8k? Because is my £5K deposit not gone anyway cos I bought a new car? And the other £3K is not really a loss because it is a more expensive car. Just my thoughts but I really don't know.

I think I'm more worried where I would be in another 3 years. Would I be any more sensible waiting another year or two or will it pretty much be same? (4yr PcP)

Reactions: Ormesome
That multi quote didn't work quite right for the first two but the comments are there in the quotes.

Reactions: Jassyo06
To be honest it really isn't worth it. To put you off the idea completely have a look on webuyanycar or mikebrewermotors for a sale value and you'll realise just how much you are losing. I'd advise against it though as it really is depressing seeing just how quickly cars depreciate. Remember though you've lost most of it already and the figures won't change much for a while. My current car was worth £7,000 less than I'd just bought it for (I did check) and it's still worth the same 12 months later. :)

An S3 is nice and I'm losing a load of money to buy mine, but I wouldn't change if I was in your situation.

Reactions: Pook and SILVAF0XX
An S3, in my book, is not exclusive.. let's face it they're everywhere.. but it's your money.. there will always be a better car... I adore the RS3, but I just couldn't justify to myself the extra at this point..

I'd say invest your money and at the end of the lease, buy an RS3, or something even better..

Move on

Reactions: Pook
I'm not sure it's worth dumping the idea entirely...hear me out. The loss you will be making is depreciation on your car. However if you are buying a similarly aged replacement car, that should have depreciated by roughly the same percentage. The difference you will need to pay is the premium between the two models plus the extra cost of trading in a car (as Audi will want some extra money for the effort required to sell on). I doubt that will be £8k

I'm not sure it's worth dumping the idea entirely...hear me out. The loss you will be making is depreciation on your car. However if you are buying a similarly aged replacement car, that should have depreciated by roughly the same percentage. The difference you will need to pay is the premium between the two models plus the extra cost of trading in a car (as Audi will want some extra money for the effort required to sell on). I doubt that will be £8k

Yea I'm trying to convince myself that this is the case although it's a hard sell lol as I'm pretty sensible generally. I was thinking that where I'll lose out is:

Interest: higher rate definitely a silent killer

Secondhand may not feel as cherished to me as I've not had from new, and this might outweigh the positives

3 years time - I worry I'll be in a much worse position as I've effectively put in no deposit as my car will break even at best (and probably not even).

So if I can accept them 3 things it may be possible, but if financially it's gonna be even worse, then it's gonna be a no no

If the S3 under the new rules came in at under £40k, the new rate tax on it used in a few months would be lower, £140 per year.

Reactions: Daveotto, Pook and Scottyg
Hi Pook,

I have had a read through the other comments, but really it will all come down to what you would like?

I think I understand where you are coming from: I started with an A3 sportback 1.4 TFSI, I was looking for a saloon 1.8 TFSI s-tronic but came away with a different car after a test drive. A year later, I went for the S3 saloon s-tronic, listened to my heart not my head (unusual for me!). Still in the S3 and the only temptation will be the RS3 saloon, but with the new car tax rules and purchase price, not sure will go for it, perhaps just a couple of mods on the current vehicle.

Anyway, prob not much help, but you will live with the choice at the end of the day, all the cars are expensive and only the dealership wins when it comes to profit!

Cheers
Sharky

Okay but bear in mind that Audi are complete tools when it comes to second hand S3's. Best way to see this is look for a second hand S3 you like, get an online trade in value for that car (carwow do a free one which is generated from CAP) and then see how much profit Audi are trying to fleece out of people. Do not be surprised if you see a £5k profit margin, as they look to make £3k minimum on any second hand deal.

If you try and argue the case with them they just dig their heals in. Being honest I can't afford a second hand S3 but I can afford a new one because of the interest rates and stupid asking price on second hand cars.

Also consider warranty, as you may want an extended one. I loved my S3 and will love my new one when it arrives, but I'm not sure I'd have one that is out of warranty. If you buy one a year old will you be keeping it more than 2 years? If so extended warranty might be an idea.

Final decision is yours as it's your money and your happiness that count. :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Wowsa as much as 3K, that's a big difference.
I'm totally onboard with all of your post onwards from "once you sit in the drivers seat" because I think all of that is probably true. The first bit however, am I really losing 8k? Because is my £5K deposit not gone anyway cos I bought a new car? And the other £3K is not really a loss because it is a more expensive car. Just my thoughts but I really don't know.
I think I'm more worried where I would be in another 3 years. Would I be any more sensible waiting another year or two or will it pretty much be same? (4yr PcP)

Obviously the £8k is a rough idea. We don't know how much you paid in total for the car and how much you still have left to pay VS the market value/trade in value or even the price someone is prepared to pay. The prices you see on the internet are not what you will get. I would second what has been said and got to webuyanycar and use them as a minimum reference to start getting your finances correct. This way you won't over value your car and but you can see a clear path safe in the knowledge you will prob get more.

Hi Pook,

I have had a read through the other comments, but really it will all come down to what you would like?

I think I understand where you are coming from: I started with an A3 sportback 1.4 TFSI, I was looking for a saloon 1.8 TFSI s-tronic but came away with a different car after a test drive. A year later, I went for the S3 saloon s-tronic, listened to my heart not my head (unusual for me!). Still in the S3 and the only temptation will be the RS3 saloon, but with the new car tax rules and purchase price, not sure will go for it, perhaps just a couple of mods on the current vehicle.

Anyway, prob not much help, but you will live with the choice at the end of the day, all the cars are expensive and only the dealership wins when it comes to profit!

Cheers
Sharky

Okay but bear in mind that Audi are complete tools when it comes to second hand S3's. Best way to see this is look for a second hand S3 you like, get an online trade in value for that car (carwow do a free one which is generated from CAP) and then see how much profit Audi are trying to fleece out of people. Do not be surprised if you see a £5k profit margin, as they look to make £3k minimum on any second hand deal.

If you try and argue the case with them they just dig their heals in. Being honest I can't afford a second hand S3 but I can afford a new one because of the interest rates and stupid asking price on second hand cars.

Also consider warranty, as you may want an extended one. I loved my S3 and will love my new one when it arrives, but I'm not sure I'd have one that is out of warranty. If you buy one a year old will you be keeping it more than 2 years? If so extended warranty might be an idea.

Final decision is yours as it's your money and your happiness that count. :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback, I guess as ever with this sort of thing it's just a head vs heart and at the end of the day is my choice. When all said and done I could probs live with the financial impact if I could get a deal whereby I don't have to put in any more deposit and just pay a little more a month - the main point of indecision for me is what @Ormesome said, in that will I make the change and be sitting in the seat cursing the mpg and moreso the fact I didn't have this from new. Real toughy this for me really is.

Reactions: Onlysharky
If the S3 under the new rules came in at under £40k, the new rate tax on it used in a few months would be lower, £140 per year.

If it was registered on/after 1st April anyhow. Although if you get one that was registered before April and was over £40k it's only £150 (or at least the S-Tronic is at 149 g/km)

Last April l was in a similar situation wanting a RS3, my son's dealership had a cracking one,a £51k car 2k miles for £46k they offered me £24k max on trade in.....l advertised my car,l got offered £28k private sale but the interest on the RS3 was something else,besides that someone bought it cash while l dithered... About,thank Christ...it got sold or l would be paying £685 a month for it,where l only pay £390 for my S3 lol, but l will get one next year lol

The thing with selling ones car during the first 30 months is negative equity....when trading into Audi you'll always be in it, unless you've paid a good deposit say £8/10k and added no options on say a £34k car...@pburv did exactly this,optional extras keep you in negative equity longer

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Last April l was in a similar situation wanting a RS3, my son's dealership had a cracking one,a £51k car 2k miles for £46k they offered me £24k max on trade in.....l advertised my car,l got offered £28k private sale but the interest on the RS3 was something else,besides that someone bought it cash while l dithered... About,thank Christ...it got sold or l would be paying £685 a month for it,where l only pay £390 for my S3 lol, but l will get one next year lol

The thing with selling ones car during the first 30 months is negative equity....when trading into Audi you'll always be in it, unless you've paid a good deposit say £8/10k and added no options on say a £34k car...@pburv did exactly this,optional extras keep you in negative equity longer

So you reckon in maybe 1-2 years I'll be in better situ or is it always pretty much be the same give or take? Probs better holding on I guess however the other thing is a) they don't do Sepang, and b) I really don't like the interior of the Fl as much as the PFL. So I'm thinking either trade now for a 1yr old, or trade in 2yr for what would probs have to be a 2 yr old. Hmmmmm

Isn't the interior pretty much the same?

Isn't the interior pretty much the same?

For me it's gone backward a little, just on a few small things - steering wheel narrower and not as comfy. Indicator stalk thinner (cheaper). "S" on seats and wheel as opposed to "S3". Air vents not as nice, again gone a bit cheapy. Don't get me wrong, it's still amazing and if I was buying new now it wouldn't put me off, but I just prefer the PfL, and when my descion margins are narrow it's a factor lol. And as I said above I love sepang, it's my favourite.

Reactions: pburv, Djs3saloon and Tom.H
So you reckon in maybe 1-2 years I'll be in better situ or is it always pretty much be the same give or take? Probs better holding on I guess however the other thing is a) they don't do Sepang, and b) I really don't like the interior of the Fl as much as the PFL. So I'm thinking either trade now for a 1yr old, or trade in 2yr for what would probs have to be a 2 yr old. Hmmmmm
Your negative equity will very similar even at the end of the 2nd year given car value v settlement >trade in,sell private you'll break even then buy your sepang PFL

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Your negative equity will very similar even at the end of the 2nd year given car value v settlement >trade in,sell private you'll break even then buy your sepang PFL

Thanks. So I guess probs not gonna be much diff whether it's this year or next if I want a PFL. Just depends whether I wanna take the hit I guess. Thanks again.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
leaving glacier for sepang??!!! are you mental?! lol

Reactions: Supa Koopa, Pook, Audi Bairn and 2 others
It wouldn't be sensible to change no, but if you are that serious to do so then do it.. you can't take it with you.

The only big loss would be your £5k deposit.

You don't 'lose' the deposit on a PCP!

Its an upfront payment, not a deposit like on a lease. If he put down £1k he would just have a smaller difference between valuation and finance owed. With £5k he has a bigger difference between valuation and finance owed (assuming positive equity).

E.g. Trade in £28k
Settlement figure with £5k deposit = £25k; therefore £3k Positive equity
Settlement figure with £1k deposit = £29k; therefore £1k Negative equity

You don't get a car cheaper on PCP because you put less money up front.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBill, Audi Bairn, pburv and 3 others
leaving glacier for sepang??!!! are you mental?! lol
Yea I know I do love Glacier, and I have it coated in CSL and C2 so looks a beaut, it's v classical, never ages. That's the one small worry I have with a blue, I might get bored of it, but probly not haha.

Reactions: PanamaS3

Its an upfront payment, not a deposit like on a lease. If he put down £1k he would just have a smaller difference between valuation and finance owed. With £5k he has a bigger difference between valuation and finance owed (assuming positive equity).

E.g. Trade in £28k

Yea like you say think it's gonna be no odds either way, lose it on the deposit or lose it now, all swings and roundabouts innit.

Is the car a FWD tfsi?

The OP's car is a 2.0tdi so will get 50mpg easy. S3 will get 20mpg ish. Admittedly it will be more like 25-30 but just wanted to emphasise my point!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06, pburv and 2 others
The OP's car is a 2.0tdi so will get 50mpg easy. S3 will get 20mpg ish. Admittedly it will be more like 25-30 but just wanted to emphasise my point!

Yea I'm basing my fuel figures on basically just doubling them. And typically I was in tesco tonight and saw a TTS in Sepang, sex-u-al ha.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and pburv

E.g. Trade in £28k

Think at the point myself & @AudiNutta commented, we didn't know it was on a PCP deal. Still don't really understand the new types of financing to be honest. Bought mine cash so not really clued up on it. If there is a way for the OP to do a deal and loose minimal cash then it might be worth it. Just think that we should always progress in life with every step! Going from a 2.0tdi to a possibly lower spec, older S3 wouldnt be going up in the world in my opinion!

Reactions: AudiNutta, DrEskimo and pburv
Think at the point myself & @AudiNutta commented, we didn't know it was on a PCP deal. Still don't really understand the new types of financing to be honest. Bought mine cash so not really clued up on it. If there is a way for the OP to do a deal and loose minimal cash then it might be worth it. Just think that we should always progress in life with every step! Going from a 2.0tdi to a possibly lower spec, older S3 wouldnt be going up in the world in my opinion!

Ah OK.

Basically it's no different to cash purchase in that the amount he's lost is the depreciation. He's also paid a hefty amount of interest on the finance as well. Probably around £1k by 11months.

So as with a cash purchase the two important figures are what price he got for the car after discount and the amount he can get at trade in for it now.

Might be a way for him to get a deal on a new S3 without putting down more or going up substantially in monthlies if he got a decent discount on the diesel and can get a good discount on an S3.

I've been looking at used car PCP and the interest is so extortionate that you might as well go new, as over the term, you will likely pay a similar amount. Unless you buy the used car with cash, then obviously you pay less and lose less on depreciation than a new car.

Then OP might as well ask the question at his local dealer :)

Reactions: BigBill, Audi Bairn and Ormesome
I'd say do it. Life's too short to be getting in your car every morning and wishing you were in a different one. The amount of deposit is irrelevant to how much you will lose; what you lose is depreciation and at this stage much of that is dealer margin therefore somewhat manageable....

I recently flipped my 10 month old S3 because it was no longer the right car for me and I expected to lose a packet on the exchange but it worked out fine. Sold it to Evans Hallshaw who we're brilliant. That offered £5k more than WBAC, priced the car unseen and spent about 20 seconds examining the car before paying the agreed sum. I later found it in one of their lots for just £2k more than they paid me.

Sure, if you let the Audi dealer handle the swap you could be in for a shock but if you get a good trade in and negotiate hard on the replacement you won't lose too much. Most important thing, get in the right car for you.

Reactions: pburv, BigBill, Jamie_88 and 1 other person