Changed Halogen to LED...

Wing Lun

A3 Sportback
Reaction score
All unedit photos of tonights installation. 6500K LED cree H7 headlight bulbs. Unfortunately I'm not gonna fork out 2K to buy the genuine headlight so opted for the cheaper option. Don't see many led/hid kits around? What do you think of these??

IMG 1496
IMG 1506
IMG 1499

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 994
  • IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 402
Reactions: wobbly box
Looks good.

What brand bulbs did you went with?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I think they could possibly be blinding to other road users and that they may not be road legal - sorry.

If you get people flashing you, please go for better than stock Halogen bulbs.

Reactions: Khufu
I think they could possibly be blinding to other road users and that they may not be road legal - sorry.

If you get people flashing you, please go for better than stock Halogen bulbs.
correct, they are not road legal in UK. The beam pattern will most likely be wrong and it will be an MOT failure even if the image is correct.

Reactions: KenL
Hi, this question is asked purely out of curiosity, how can you tell from three photos that these lights are not road legal in the UK?

I changed my front bulbs I used osram cool blue intense and they give good results whilst remaining 100% legal in UK.
Also changed reverse bulb to an LED which is very smart looking. Still to do fog lights but will probably go with the Cool blue again and thinking about changing front indicator bulbs to led.

The beam cut off in the last photo is pretty much non-existent, as there is a ton of stray light above where a normal cut off should be. There's a lot of engineering that goes into lens and reflector design, so that foreground illumination meets safety requirements, as well as avoiding glare to oncoming vehicles.

Hi, this question is asked purely out of curiosity, how can you tell from three photos that these lights are not road legal in the UK?

this shape, either totally flat or with a kick to the N/S. Even if the beam pattern is correct, the testers guide states that bulb and headlight need to be compatible. ie only xenon in a xenon headlight etc. These type of uprated headlights (xenon/Led/Laser) only receive type approval on the road if used with a washer system and automatic levelling system.

Attachments

• x250 beam.JPG
    x250 beam.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 424
this shape, either totally flat or with a kick to the N/S. Even if the beam pattern is correct, the testers guide states that bulb and headlight need to be compatible. ie only xenon in a xenon headlight etc. These type of uprated headlights (xenon/Led/Laser) only receive type approval on the road if used with a washer system and automatic levelling system.
Hi, many thanks for your interesting and informative reply, much appreciated. These forums are great for increasing one's knowledge on lots of subjects.

Link to bulbs ?

Hopefully they're H7R ?

4.1.5 Levelling devices
Make sure any manual headlamp levelling devices (driver controls) work by:
  • switching on the dipped beam headlamps
  • operating the manual levelling device
  • checking that the headlamp beams move up and down
  • returning the levelling device control to its original position
Vehicles with high intensity discharge(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.

A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light.

No. You can't just stick any bulb in a housing designed for a certain type of bulb.

Reactions: Phutters
Just a quick note to add to this.
Police and Mot testers are getting really strict with this and more clued up.
Coming from someone who’s been stopped before on this(in my younger days). Essentially a cop going the other way did a u turn and gave me a ticket to get it validated/checked by mot station and no one does things for free. £20-30 to get it checked then take ticket to police station.
The beam from a halogen bulb is round and the lens/reflectors work with this to get the correct pattern. If you look at the lens there’s ridges and reflectors to achieve this.
Led/hid has a more straight/flat beam pattern and with these lenses creates a lot stray light bouncing in all direction. This is where it can dazzle oncoming traffic. As a driver your view is probably better but for other road users it’s not.
Newer LED/HID kits try’s to address this with enclosures/mirrors to mimick the round beam from bulbs but the problem can still be there.
Just be careful. In city driving it’s not too bad but back roads and motorways could dazzle other.

Reactions: Phutters, Wing Lun, cuke2u and 1 other person
As far as I'm concerned police are not doing enough.

These HID kits and the like are a real annoyance to other road users and a real danger on roads with no lighting.

Reactions: Phutters
Just a quick note to add to this.
Police and Mot testers are getting really strict with this and more clued up.
Coming from someone who’s been stopped before on this(in my younger days). Essentially a cop going the other way did a u turn and gave me a ticket to get it validated/checked by mot station and no one does things for free. £20-30 to get it checked then take ticket to police station.
The beam from a halogen bulb is round and the lens/reflectors work with this to get the correct pattern. If you look at the lens there’s ridges and reflectors to achieve this.
Led/hid has a more straight/flat beam pattern and with these lenses creates a lot stray light bouncing in all direction. This is where it can dazzle oncoming traffic. As a driver your view is probably better but for other road users it’s not.
Newer LED/HID kits try’s to address this with enclosures/mirrors to mimick the round beam from bulbs but the problem can still be there.
Just be careful. In city driving it’s not too bad but back roads and motorways could dazzle other.

Thank you for the comment, I understand what you mean fella. From what I've been told, the seller has emphasised that LEDs have improved a lot over the years, and now probably even better than HIDs now. That's his opinion not mine.

Prior to getting these LEDs installed I did read a thread online and yeah it makes sense that you can't really stick any bulb in a housing designed for a specific type: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/why-leds-should-not-be-run-in-halogen-reflectors.454371/

To be honest after installing them and hitting the M62 motorway, they are extremely BRIGHT cause they're like producing over 6000 lumen and it didn't feel comfortable for that reason. Seems brighter than the HIDs I put in my previous Polo 6R! Obviously everyone wants a brighter output. Haven't been flashed yet but reading through several forums and opinions, will likely refund the LEDs and stick back to my Philips Xtreme Vision halogen bulbs, safer and meets MOT regulations...happy days.

How they advertise it so nicely though ^__^"
https://allalighting.com/shop/produ...lbs-for-Cars-Trucks-Motorcycles-|-1-Pair/2309
201811101645334  fec

LEDs Array Mimic the Filament of Typical Halogen Bulb
We actually used advanced optical software to prototype the small chips that approximate filaments, put
the LEDs exactly where the simulation of halogen bulb.

It is made to function not only in projector style housing but also in reflector style housing with
perfect hotspot and beam pattern with more usable light and no glare for oncoming drivers compared to
stock halogen and conventional LEDs.

Slim PCB for Standard Light Beam Pattern
H7 led headlight bulb has 2.5mm Super slim PCB board between two sides of LEDs, almost equivalent to the filament width of factory halogen bulb, which is 2mm.

Cooling Performance Upgraded
The F2 base features featherweight and coverless heat extraction design, which allows the unit to
maintain the correct temperature. Thermal management is the key to a high-performing, long-lasting LED unit.

Hotspot
Most LEDs are big and have no hotspot in beam pattern. F2 h7 led headlight bulb is just a little different. It provides optically correct output and shines more light in the hotspot when installing in reflector as well as projector, 200% brighter than the halogen bulb. The Cree LED Light source emits in a true white 6500 K color temperature, for a modern and OEM-style LED appearance.

Led car light manufacturercom 2018 07 31 06 33 28

I like your DRL's are these H15 LED same as your H7's

the link to the seller of your H7 dipped beam LED bulbs say that these are MOT legal. If you get a failure with these in will they refund?

Last edited:
I like your DRL's are these H15 LED same as your H7's

the link to the seller of your H7 dipped beam LED bulbs say that these are MOT legal. If you get a failure with these in will they refund?

Thanks, I don't know what exact brand those DRLs are, I know they are called V8 H15 LED bulbs. The colour temperature is slightly different compared to the H7s. Yes they better refund! >.<" Refund those H7s and w5w, but keep the H15s they're pretty dope.

If you think about it, any seller could write what they want on their product so they can sell them. But I went to my local garage today, and they said the LED lights will pass MOT and that was expected cause I'm a regular customer. I'm trying to book an appointment with larger companies like Halford and Kwik Fit to find out, but I cba cause I'm refunding them in a few days time...

Seems like their "advertised" beam pattern is nowhere near what you have in reality. Compare your beam pattern and their photo, you have next to no cut off and plenty of hot spots and above and below where the cut off line should be.

Seems like their "advertised" beam pattern is nowhere near what you have in reality. Compare your beam pattern and their photo, you have next to no cut off and plenty of hot spots and above and below where the cut off line should be.

It is expected...they definitely use projector housings to demonstrate the advertised beam pattern, that's how they convince customers. That's the limitations of reflectors.

Morning photo of the H7s LED bulbs if anybody is ever interested in fitting them..

IMG 20190112 094854

hi, i am looking to get these halogen housing to replace my LED housing. are they plug and play or is there coding and other things to get these exact ones to work?