Changed my Head unit no no key power ??

Cobra88

Reaction score
Live in Ipswich Suffolk (orig from W London)
Hi All

I fitted my new double Din head unit yesterday and mostly good.

but I now have no power to the windows or radio when the ignition is off but key is still in lock

I have to turn the key to acc to get windows and radio.

before changing head unit I had power to windows for a few minutes and radi stayed on till key removed

no blown fuses.
what did I do wrong?

If you disconnected your battery long enough for the reset process to kick in on reconnection 10-15 minutes. then this is your cause.

The electric window each have to be lowered and switch held until you feel a little click register the one touch option again.

The learnt driving styles like dsg changing patterns and engine performance / turbo boost take up to 50 miles to be relearnt

The traction control resets after about 4 corners

Don't know about the acc issue solution but I believe the switched or permanent live need to be linked to the canbus via and adapter as the audio loom doesn't have a switched live available to plug directly into. I know my aftermarket unit needs the ignition circuit on to fire up and switches off when the engine is turned off. Probably a VCDS option to tick.

Last edited:
Hi Allroader

Battery was not disconnected (Removed radio fuse)

one touch all working fine.
purely lost the radio staying on while key is still in ignition and the short time the windows still function with ign off but key still in.

Quite possibly canbus problem as Chinese unit has a canbus box but no info whatsoever on what it does/doesn't do.
Like the RDS tries to function but fails :)

I fitted a Witson unit http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/satell...12-android-4-2-head-unit-install-success.html

The power only comes on with key in the ignition with all systems ready to fire up and switches off if you turn the engine off key in still.

The remote fob lock and unlock buttons still close or open all 4 windows if held for 2 secs or more though.

Did you have a twin fakra power amplified aerial adapter connecting the blue wire to the chinese unit's blue wire. You won't get a good signal moving for RDS unless the fakras 1 or 2 have an amplified adapter (that didn't come with the head unit.)

Mine also stays powered even with the dvd/sd card selected so I was able to connect the rear amplifier 'on' signal to it as well - audi loom connector D13 for me. Rear speakers working fine only once that D13 had a switched power feed to it.

Last edited:
No mate mine is same unit but has different surround.

Needed a bit of fettling and be sure to smooth the removal keys as they are razor sharp out of the box.

Had to sand about 1.5 mm off the top of the facia so it will clear the cup holder and coin tray.

Release tags are very very low quality and bend as soon as you touch them so you need to check the removal keys fit before you lock the unit back (mine where nowhere near the holes by default so loosened the side plate screws and lined the tags up in the holes

still a swine to get out but you just need patience.

A bit fiddly but happy with the unit for the price.

RDS tries really hard to work but fails generally and radio reception is junk even with a bought separate ISO powered adapter.
Aerial almost wont stay in the socket of the unit! (Soldered mine on one spot which helped a fair bit)

Can't seem to find much useful support as forum is not much use and barely used.
Spent hours trying to find what video format to use on SD card to no avail as it just says invalid format on every file I tried.

went on the support forum to FAQ page and every bullet is to an empty link!

But I'm pretty happy with functionality for cost.

Better than spending almost double on a 12 year old RNSE which has no Bluetooth and 12 year old tech)

With these units does the Canbus allow the unit to turn on and off? On my HU I had no Canbus but wired to a fuse.