Changed my rear pads today...

Steve D

Reaction score
...and didn’t use any electrinic trickery to wind back the epb. I just removed the motor and manually wound the epb thread by hand. Had to use a small 7mm bit and a ratchet spanner to get at the caliper bolts. Pushed back the piston, fitted the pads and that was it. Changed the discs at the same time too. That was a bit of a faff, getting to the caliper carrier bracket bolts - had to remove the shock to get at the bolts. Replaced them with Mintex zinc plated discs and Mintex pads. Cost of parts £75.
F8019AA1 E18F 483A 84F5 7A9E3AA043A0 21D6249C D7C7 4359 AE88 A896AF5316D0 417DADD8 E031 4B49 9298 9619B9125654

Reactions: dantdi, Harvey and S32B
...and didn’t use any electrinic trickery to wind back the epb. I just removed the motor and manually wound the epb thread by hand. Had to use a small 7mm bit and a ratchet spanner to get at the caliper bolts. Pushed back the piston, fitted the pads and that was it. Changed the discs at the same time too. That was a bit of a faff, getting to the caliper carrier bracket bolts - had to remove the shock to get at the bolts. Replaced them with Mintex zinc plated discs and Mintex pads. Cost of parts £75.
View attachment 234377 View attachment 234378 View attachment 234379
Saved yourself a few quid there mate, just looked at Audi prices! What about your fronts?

Brakes

Reactions: Steve D
Saved yourself a few quid there mate, just looked at Audi prices! What about your fronts?
Fronts are fine - pads about 40% worn and discs in good condition. Could have got a bit more out of the rears but they were corroded where it had been sitting about since lockdown 1 and I could hear a slight scraping when braking. Car currently on 34k.

Reactions: S32B
View attachment 234377 View attachment 234378 View attachment 234379
Managed to slide my discs out without removing carrier ; saved a lot off hassle cos them bolts are nippy

Managed to slide my discs out without removing carrier ; saved a lot off hassle cos them bolts are nippy
Yeah, I managed to wiggle my ones out without removing the carrier but try as I might, I couldn’t wiggle the new ones back in. I only had to loosen the carrier bolts a few threads though to be able to wiggle the new ones in. Yes, the bolts are a bit of a sod to get to as well as being tight - I couldn’t get my 18” bar on them so ended up using a 1/2” drive ratchet with a big, deep socket on the handle and a couple of 1/2” drive 6” extension bars to get some leverage.

Fronts are fine - pads about 40% worn and discs in good condition. Could have got a bit more out of the rears but they were corroded where it had been sitting about since lockdown 1 and I could hear a slight scraping when braking. Car currently on 34k.
Odd that rears got more worn than fronts...

Odd that rears got more worn than fronts...

That’s been quite normal for me for 4 audis now.
Was told the compound used in the rear pads are softer so wears quicker than the fronts. As long as it’s even wear and disc not overheating then it should be fine.

That’s been quite normal for me for 4 audis now.
Was told the compound used in the rear pads are softer so wears quicker than the fronts. As long as it’s even wear and disc not overheating then it should be fine.
Hearing this oddness first time but fair enough for you..

Mine was the same. Had the car since brand new. 4 years old on 36k

Front are fine

Rears were well worn.

I did think at the time it was weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I searched this phenomena and I found the explanation WHY some has rears more worn...

So it is basically becuse of the harsh driver who drives car aggressively breaks aggressively or trying to drift ....
Read guys whole article - interesting....

So I searched this phenomena and I found the explanation WHY some has rears more worn...

So it is basically becuse of the harsh driver who drives car aggressively breaks aggressively or trying to drift ....
Read guys whole article - interesting....

Mine were the same on my facelift A3, and never drove like this.

Reactions: AlS3BE and 8YARWY
Mine were the same on my facelift A3, and never drove like this.

Same here Alex.
My RS3 rears wear quicker than the fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE
So Djalix, als3be and terminator 1000 driving with handbrake on :D

My last 4 audis were motorway mile munchers so hardly driven hard to activate abs or esp etc
Even in the article it says rear pads are thinner added to that some Audi’s have that kinda sweep function where when it rains it applies the brakes slightly to clear it of water so adding to brakes wearing.
As I said it not something to worry about if it’s not overheating or wearing unevenly.
One thing worth mentioning while we on about brakes is a lot of folk checking the discs only look at the front facing side and not the rears. The front could look fine but the rears could be a mess and need replacing so worth checking the backs as a sticky caliper could affect only one side. It’s a pain to check but a wee mirror or mobile camera helps.

Reactions: 8YARWY
My last 4 audis were motorway mile munchers so hardly driven hard to activate abs or esp etc
Even in the article it says rear pads are thinner added to that some Audi’s have that kinda sweep function where when it rains it applies the brakes slightly to clear it of water so adding to brakes wearing.
As I said it not something to worry about if it’s not overheating or wearing unevenly.
One thing worth mentioning while we on about brakes is a lot of folk checking the discs only look at the front facing side and not the rears. The front could look fine but the rears could be a mess and need replacing so worth checking the backs as a sticky caliper could affect only one side. It’s a pain to check but a wee mirror or mobile camera helps.
Am gonna have abs checked tomorrow and wheel tracking so will check my pads as well since summer 2019, so will let know what state are mine pads...

Yeah, mine weren’t badly corroded but I did hear some light scraping that wouldn’t clear with heavy braking so I suspected some corrosion in the inner faces. They were slightly lined so were replaced and they are now nice and quiet.

0AC8F3B9 7D5B 4F53 AC47 95D033CBA08D

Reactions: AlS3BE
Yeah, mine weren’t badly corroded but I did hear some light scraping that wouldn’t clear with heavy braking so I suspected some corrosion in the inner faces. They were slightly lined so were replaced and they are now nice and quiet.

View attachment 234544

There’s quite a lip in the edges of the disc and broken pads so that’s most likely the cause of the noise. Think the low mileage folk are doing now the cars sitting with pads against the disc and causing rust spots which will kill the disc and pads.