changing brake fluid, using expired fluid ?

snowfree52

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to change my brakes by a Porsche BBK. I have at home some Motul RBF600, but it's around 4 years old.

I never opened the bottles, they are brand new. I think it says "best before 2011" on it.

Do you guys think I can use it ?

Regards

If its got the aluminium/plastic heat seal on the top of the bottle (like a plastic milk bottle seal) it will be fine.

If not - junk it.

There's a nautical saying involving half a penny of tar that comes to mind.

Seriously - if you're going to mess around with one of the most important safety systems of a £30,000 car, don't skimp on £20 worth of fluid.

Reactions: Anarch
It's not about messing around, it's more about not wasting and throwing away something that can be used.

It's like those canned foods, it says best before X but 3 years later you still can eat it.

I'm with RossR on this one - just don't. I'm always extra paranoid about brakes and wouldn't take any chances.

Have you seen the recent VW advert with the climber who buys a second had rope? What you're doing is like buying a second hand rope and an expensive premium brand harness. Sure it might be fine, but is it worth the saving?

I've said my piece. Do what you want - but you did ask for advice.

Again, It's not about saving. I couldn't care less about it since I'm not even paying for the fluid. I just absolutely hate wasting things that can still be used.

Then again, if everybody is telling me not to do it, I won't

I think you should do as you think best. You can afford a very expensive car, and obviously have good mechanical nous, so you're clearly not stupid. So why do you need other people's approval.
Personally, I'd probably use it.

well nobody should ever stop learning :detective2:

The thing is,from a sealed container,never opened it will PROBABLY be fine.

Probably,however,wouldn't suit me with respects to anything brake related.

Reactions: Anarch
Personally i wouldn't. It's brake fluid after all. Major issue will be moisture ingress and whilst a tight seal would probably be ok, 2-3 years is a pretty long time. A PE container can leak on a microscopic level enough to let moisture in. The expiry will have been based on some stability testing over time and will have been labelled on the safe side but 2-3 years is a long way over. Your call but I wouldn't. Screen wash yes, brake fluid no

Reactions: RossR and S3Alex
Had a quick look around brake fluid seems to have a 2 year shelf life. It contains anti corrosion inhibiters and other stuff that lose there effectiveness over time. So although it won't have absorbed any moisture it will only be maybe 80% as good as new fluid
Because it is very good stuff in the first place it's probably better than a lot of new bog standard brake fluid.
But as you are going to be putting it in a car that may push it to the limits a bit more I think I would get some new.
If I was for a boggo standard car I would use it.

Karl.

For the cost of the brake fluid it is just not worth it, I have just bought ATE 200 racing fluid for £12.50 a litre - no question in my mind waste or not see my thread vital fluids.

For the cost of the brake fluid it is just not worth it, I have just bought ATE 200 racing fluid for £12.50 a litre - no question in my mind waste or not see my thread vital fluids.

Great advice and reviving a 7 year old post

Reactions: Leevr
Apologies to all, the way this new app works on my phone it recommends 'other similar threads'. This came up and I immediately answered in outrage as I have been living and breathing getting the best fluids into my car that I possibly could. - lesson learned I am better with a spanner than a computer these days!!!

Apologies to all, the way this new app works on my phone it recommends 'other similar threads'. This came up and I immediately answered in outrage as I have been living and breathing getting the best fluids into my car that I possibly could. - lesson learned I am better with a spanner than a computer these days!!!

I almost did the same the other day. The recommended/similar threads are all years old. Started replying to one then realised the last post was 5 years ago.

Reactions: Sandra
I almost did the same the other day. The recommended/similar threads are all years old. Started replying to one then realised the last post was 5 years ago.
I have done it myself. We don’t mind if we have old threads back at the top. It’s always useful as somebody may get some good info from them.

Reactions: JohnM100 and AlS3BE
Great advice and reviving a 7 year old post
I really don't understand here ''local'' everyday members when someone reply to old post ... What is wrong?? is it then some king of different procedure doing things after 7 years? Or rather constantly making new threads and all sht is then everywhere instead of in one place??
C'moon frequent ppl here

I really don't understand here ''local'' everyday members when someone reply to old post ... What is wrong?? is it then some king of different procedure doing things after 7 years? Or rather constantly making new threads and all sht is then everywhere instead of in one place??
C'moon frequent ppl here
The forum has been on the go from 2003. We have all threads ever started on the forum. That sort of info on any of the Audi models old and new is priceless. We don’t mind old threads coming back on the forum, there are many members find it a great resource. If you don’t like it Peter, then don’t come on the thread and say so, just scroll on by.

Reactions: Dubjam and 8YARWY
The forum has been on the go from 2003. We have all threads ever started on the forum. That sort of info on any of the Audi models old and new is priceless. We don’t mind old threads coming back on the forum, there are many members find it a great resource. If you don’t like it Peter, then don’t come on the thread and say so, just scroll on by.
You didn't get it.. The frequent people here complaining when new people asking same problem so they carry on the thread which been created few years back.. It is because simply they found it in google search and clicked it so it took them straight to thread.. Same me and many ppl..
You don't need to speak for those who complaining about some weird saying "reviving thread.. Or you related to them when u speaking for them? Cars doesn't change so often nor same problem with cars... The repair procedure will be always same for 8V series since 2013... To 2020..It doesn't mean I don't like the thread I don't like when pointlessly somone keeps ranting that somone continuing the thread.. SO freaking what? You get it?

Last edited: