Changing Headlight Bulbs - Am I Getting The Type Right?

emzino

Reaction score
Hi all.

My fiance has an Audi A3 1.6 2001 (Facelift) and I wanted to get some better looking bulbs for the car to fit on.

What I wanted to know was, am I getting the type of bulb right because the ones I've looked at doesn't look like projectors. So here's an image of the headlights:
headlight.jpg

Going from the left to right: PY21 (indicators), H7, W5W (side lamp) and H1 (projector). I've added links to the bulbs that I intend to buy.

Just wondering if I've got that right because the H1 Phillips that I saw didn't look like a projector.

Sorry if I've made it sound confusing.

Thanks in advance

How's it going Emzino, long time! It's Troopa here, used to speak to you on Club Polo back in the day!

What do you mean by 'doesn't look like a projector bulb'? You don't have xenons on the car do you?

Troopa! Very long time indeed matey. Yea I've been well, just sold my A3 8P last week. Still feeling the sadness but it went to a good home. The A3 in your signature yours?

As for the lights... na it's not Xenons, but it does look like it. It's exactly as the picture above. I checked out some sights and they said it's a H1 bulb but when I looked on H1 products, it doesn't have the round globe/projector look. I've never changed a Xenon or Projector so I don't know if that projector is just some kind of housing.

You sold it!? What are you driving now then eh? Yup that's my car dude, not an A3, it's an S3 :)

That's just the projector lenses that's all so it doesn't neccessarily mean the car has xenons because of the lenses. But if you put a HID kit in it'll be all good as it will shoot through the projector lenses nicely!

Lol sorry, S3. Very fancy. Your one looks really nice as well. Bet it doesn't hang around much aye. You still in the Croydon area?

Yep sold my beloved. Sharing the fiances A3 1.6 at the moment. She's gone on holiday for 3weeks so I want to do it up abit, small things you know.

Those HID kits sound expensive. How about these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIAA-H1-XTREM...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48380c3f26

Would they be ok?

Yeah it goes quite well lol ;) I haven't been to Croydon in a looong time! Haven't DJ'd there in years and haven't been to see Reuben at Tuning Werkes for anything.

You can get HID kits for £60 - £80 off Ebay so not too bad. But all down to you though. Those ones you've put up are fine matey. I've heard good things about those bulbs and very bright!

I stopped going to Tuning Werkes quite quickly. The work was good but with my student status back then, I just couldn't afford the labour charges.

Troopa with the HID kits, is it just a bulb or do I need to do something else. And what's so different about them compared to say a Phillips Xtreme H1 bulb, will they both look white?

pah, you can get HID kits from China for £40 off the bay and they work just as well, had some on our Mini and that had no issues regards quality....there mostly made by the same firms anywway ;)

And when we say HID Kit it's just the bulb right, I don't need the balast (I think it's called).

I know these sound like stupid questions but I haven't dealt with projectors before so I want to get it right.

Thanks for any input.