Changing ignition barrel

harps21k

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I needed some advice about changing my ignition barrel on my A3. As the reader coil failed, so I sourced a brand new ignition barrel made for my current keys from Audi.

I read some post on google and have been adviced that I have to remove my steering wheel. Is this true?

Also I dont have to reprogram my keys as I am still going to use my old keys.

Do any of you guys have a step by step guide on how to change the barrel on my A3 P reg?

Thanks

This morning I started to look around from some workshop manuals and I found one. This help me to remove the barrel from the steering column. I didnt listen to the bit about removing the steering wheel, as I fiddled around and got the top and bottom plastic covers off. This saved me alot of time.

This is how to remove the barrel once the covers are removed I could not post the pictures, can anyone tell me how to do that:

1. Spare key is required for removal of lock cylinder as the following operations can only be performed with an ignition key with a flat grip, i.e. no light and no remote control.

2. Turn spare key to "ignition ON" position, thus aligning recess in trim -arrow- with hole in ignition lock.
Note:

3. Insert steel wire or pin ( ø approx. 1.5 mm) in hole -1- as far as it will go, at the same time pulling lock cylinder -2- with reader coil out of steering lock housing -3-.
Note:

If lock cylinder has to be replaced, always heed specifications for immobilizer reader coil replacement.

Installing
Install in reverse order, paying attention to the following:

‒ Insert spare key in lock cylinder and turn to "ignition on" position.
- Re-insert steel wire/pin -1- in hole on end face as far as it will go.
‒ Insert lock cylinder -2- with reader coil in steering lock housing -3-.
‒ Then pull out steel wire and firmly press in lock cylinder until catch is heard to engage.
‒ Plug in connector at immobilizer reader coil.