Changing instrument cluster discs

Prof.Farnsworth

Reaction score
Hello community

I recently made a post about possibly replacing the original instrument cluster with one from the Audi A1 quattro.
Now the Situation has changed somewhat. I had the opportunity to buy the original instrument cluster discs from the A1 quattro. (see pictures below)

Now I wanted to ask:
1. Whether there is a manual for the removal of the instrument cluster.
2. What I absolutely have to pay attention to
3. How I can get the needles off and mount them again.
4. How I can take out the discs

Has anyone had any experience with this? Can I even do this myself as a layman?

Thank you guys for your tips! Whether it's just in response to one of my questions, all appreciated!

Greetings
Prof.

Attachments

• 23D18B68-C111-407E-9582-50295E06D3EC.jpeg
    23D18B68-C111-407E-9582-50295E06D3EC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
Do yourself a favour and search "Audi S1 service manual" on google or to be less naughty register and pay for access to Erwin. That'll help you take the cluster out. In terms of stripping the cluster I think you'll just have to take it steady, you might find someone has done a guide somewhere to help with needle removal. Actually taking the cluster and dials out is fairly straight forward if you're practically minded.

Reactions: Prof.Farnsworth
Do yourself a favour and search "Audi S1 service manual" on google or to be less naughty register and pay for access to Erwin. That'll help you take the cluster out. In terms of stripping the cluster I think you'll just have to take it steady, you might find someone has done a guide somewhere to help with needle removal. Actually taking the cluster and dials out is fairly straight forward if you're practically minded.
Hey Phrazer

Thanks for your answer. Remove the instrument cluster is actually quite simple (have seen something on YouTube)

Unfortunately, I have not found any instructions regarding the needles. From older models there are some, but there I did not know if the procedure is also the same on newer models. I am especially concerned about where I have to mount the needles again at the end (so exactly on 0 or this automatically sets to 0? I can turn as far as I want or can you break something? how hard can I press and where do I have to stop pressing?).

Am a total layman, so I'm a little unsure and would like to do everything right in any case. Sorry about that!

Greetings
Prof.

Modern VW Group vehicle instrument clusters are not classed as serviceable so you won't find anything official relating to your project. If a cluster is faulty or needs replacing that's exactly what happens, its replaced. If purchasing a new cluster then the VW group give a rebate / exchange value for the faulty unit.

I deal with a few companies who import Jap vehicles to the UK and some try to swap dial inserts and a lot of clusters get damaged when they pull the needles off so if you are looking to go down this route take your time and don't force anything.

*swapping dial inserts actually does not work for km to miles

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your comments and tips. Fortunately, it remains at km/h. So I will make me without hectic to the conversion. Will definitely post a picture of it here when it is ready!

Greetings
Prof.

I finally got it done. Actually, the whole thing was not so difficult. But I wasn't careful enough and pressed a needle too hard into the connector. The needle motor was then damaged. I had to open the little motor on the back and saw that it pushed out the spiral that moves the pointer. Fortunately, I was able to fix it and the result is impressive. I am super happy with the result.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Phazer, ZeA38VSport and DJAlix
Here what it looks like.

Attachments

• D38CC71C-6886-41A8-BBC0-B6274DEE1C41.jpeg
    D38CC71C-6886-41A8-BBC0-B6274DEE1C41.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
Reactions: Bells, ZeA38VSport and DJAlix
Here a picture of the back of the cluster and its motor I had to repair (top left).

Attachments

• 34FD378F-D2C0-4BED-82C3-AAC4949D5E09.jpeg
    34FD378F-D2C0-4BED-82C3-AAC4949D5E09.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: ZeA38VSport and DJAlix
If someone is interested there is another pair of cluster discs available right now on eBayKleinanzeigen (Germany) from the same seller as I bought it.

Cheers.

I've been looking everywhere for these. You don't happen to know of any still available?