Changing MMI 3G basic

Boundy

Reaction score
Evening all, if I was to change the 3G low to a 3G high unit, what additional steps do I need to take in the engineering (green) menu, do I just make a note of the current setup and reapply to the new unit? Is there any Vcds work that needs doing? Can the new unit be fully set up and programmed ready to go apart from component protection removal, so it can be easy driven to a garage with ODIS an GeKo?
Is there any demand for the MMI 3G low, is it worth selling?
Cheers,

No coding required if you get one from the same vehicle but will need component protection removal. Car will drive with CP active so no worries about taking it to a garage.

I had to change the displayed vehicle through the green menu as the unit I bought came out of a Q5.

Managed to sell all the old parts on ebay although it took a while.

Parts needed are: Head unit, screen, screen surround and the control panel from around the gearstick. The existing wiring for the 3G low screen will fit and work with the new screen if you shave the connector using a sharp knife.

Thanks,

Got everything apart from mmi controller, am I right in thinking mine will work with the high but any functions that require the joy stick won't work?

1 more thing, are previously enabled green screen options that have been activated still be present, like drive select or footwell lighting are these menu options stored in the car or the mmi itself

I changed everything at the same time so couldn't comment on whether the controller will work or not and can't remember whether or not I had to reprogram drive select etc.

Reactions: Boundy
Just incase anyone has the same question in the future, the MMI 3G low controls work fine with a 3G high. Component protection took about 15-20 minutes for the garage to remove and cost £40

Has this now allowed you to enable Bluetooth playback via the green menu?
I am quite interested in this as I didn't think I could easily or cheapily modify my 3g lo to 3g hi.
Just incase anyone has the same question in the future, the MMI 3G low controls work fine with a 3G high. Component protection took about 15-20 minutes for the garage to remove and cost £40