CHANGING OUTER CV BOOT ON A 2004 AUDI A3 8P

RGC

Keep on rollin
Reaction score
Hi all i am going to change my split boot on my a3 in a few days and was wondering if any one has any tips and tricks to getting the hub off the CV joint, I was looking at it today and it looks like the easy way will be un-doing the lower bolts and pulling the hub from the joint. I have had 2 new bearings fitted last year so the hub bolt should not be that seized on (fingers crossed)

08062010010.jpg

also which way are the hub bolts threaded? right to tighten left to loosen? or opposite?

i will be using a stretch CV boot with a cone to allow it to be slid over the CV joint thus not having to remove it from the shaft

thanks guys ;)

Last edited:
Audi did mine for £120 fitted so it can't be much of a job on them!

I was going to do it but I hate that grease!!

hi, a genuine audi boot kit is quite cheap and easy to fit. the hub nuts are normal thread ie, loosen anti clockwise and tighten clockwise.
some of those stretch over boots are rubbish

whats the best way at getting at the cv joint? do i have to drop the whole hub and suspension out just to access it?

good for stripping the suspension but I'm not doing that :) don't see any talk of a CV joint in that link :(

thanks tho :D

Im going to be doing the same CV boot replacement soon so any help would be great!

A quick google search reveals...

Ripped from another forum

You'll need to undo the drive-shaft bolt, jack up the car, remove the lower ball-joint, then pull the hub assembly away from the drive-shaft. Once you've done that, you can then undo the inner CV joint bolts, which are attached with Torx bolts.

Make sure you've got all the correct torque settings for when you put everything back together. And you'll need to get your tracking re-set after you've put it all back together.
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a3-s3-cabrio/113661-how-remove-cv-joint-anyone-know.html

and another
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_replace_a_cv_joint_on_a_Audi

thanks for that :) that first link was the way i was going to tackle it without any info :) looks like the best option without upsetting any of the steering alignment. :rolleyes:

i paid £60 to have mine replaced and that included the parts, undoing the hub nut can be tight and getting it back done up can be just as bad. If its been undone before you might want to change the stretch bolt too.

A little tip when undoing the hub nut.....

Jack up the car just a little to take the weight of the car, but the tyres are still touching the ground.

Pop off the alloy wheels centre cap and crack the the hub nut, as well as the wheel bolts, then jack it all the way and then take them all out :icon_thumright:

Once you done that, pop out the wishbone balljoint, then you should be able to pull the driveshaft spline out of the hub, if its tight, tap the end with a mallet and block of wood to help loosen it. You may need to pop the steering arm joint as well.

Im sure a lot of people on this forum will disagree, but you dont need your tracking redone afterwards. Dont waste your money.

Last edited:
Thats just what i wanted to hear :happy: thanks Ricky

sounds like a nice easy money saving job :D just the way i like it :w00t:

Hi all just a quick update, done the job and all went fine dropped the bottom arm off and used the stretch boot with cone

also just to add the tracking did need adjusted! it was only out a little but was noticeable when the steering wheel was strait (pulled to the right) amazingly Quick Fit relined it for free with it only being out a that small bit :thumbsup:

well bumping this tread as its exactly what I'm after although my boot is the inner just goes to show, bit of digging gets answers

I case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I've just done this job on my 03 A3 8P BKD, you can get the outer CV off in car by taking the hub bot and winding it all the way in, then when it goes tight, winding it in with a breaker bar. It may seem like it will be doing some damage to it, but it works perfectly!
You must have the car in gear and the other wheel on the ground (or front brakes locked on, and you must have the staright to the drive shaft, other than that its a piece of cake!